Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 05-07-2022 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224322)
Most likely they entered service much earlier , and were above average. Most likely They entered before the slow down of promotion

I reached Geo 5 at 32.
Not a scholar, but consistently A/B grade. Appointed SH and subsequently HOD.
I would think that good perf plus faster promotion then played a part in that.

Unregistered 05-07-2022 11:28 AM

Secondary school

Hi guys, does anyone know how much a secondary school teacher earns as a fresh teacher out from NIE/Degree holder?

Unregistered 06-07-2022 06:48 AM

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/salaries-of-teachers-counsellors-and-other-moe-officers-being-reviewed-chan-chun-sing

Guess this all but confirms that there'll be an adjustment coming… just not sure when, or by how much. 🤞

Unregistered 06-07-2022 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224570)
s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/salaries-of-teachers-counsellors-and-other-moe-officers-being-reviewed-chan-chun-sing

Guess this all but confirms that there'll be an adjustment coming… just not sure when, or by how much. 🤞

Going by past trends in 2012 and 2015, it should be announced near Teacher's Day

Unregistered 06-07-2022 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224570)

Hope they really mean it when they claim they keep pace with the market. If anyone has undergone any job interviews recently (as in, after covid recovery) with private education sector including tuition, you'll know that we are between 'somewhat' and 'embarrassingly far' below market for equivalent level of responsibility, experience, and academic (esp. teaching-related) qualifications.

I didn't even come up with 'keeping pace with the market' myself. It's literally what PSD says. But they've not been doing it.

Unregistered 06-07-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224600)
Hope they really mean it when they claim they keep pace with the market. If anyone has undergone any job interviews recently (as in, after covid recovery) with private education sector including tuition, you'll know that we are between 'somewhat' and 'embarrassingly far' below market for equivalent level of responsibility, experience, and academic (esp. teaching-related) qualifications.

I didn't even come up with 'keeping pace with the market' myself. It's literally what PSD says. But they've not been doing it.

Is it true that there was a review back in 2018/2019 but the salaries were deemed "still competitive" back then?

Unregistered 06-07-2022 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224491)
I reached Geo 5 at 32.
Not a scholar, but consistently A/B grade. Appointed SH and subsequently HOD.
I would think that good perf plus faster promotion then played a part in that.

May I ask when you achieved this? And if you are male or female? If male, that's probably the fastest possible time you could attain geo5. Assuming you start working at age 27,1 year of geo2, 2 years each of geo3 and 4. Before getting geo5. Must have bene possible back when there was no cap of GEO4 to be appointed KP.

Unregistered 06-07-2022 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224669)
May I ask when you achieved this? And if you are male or female? If male, that's probably the fastest possible time you could attain geo5. Assuming you start working at age 27,1 year of geo2, 2 years each of geo3 and 4. Before getting geo5. Must have bene possible back when there was no cap of GEO4 to be appointed KP.

Last time PGDE not so waste time one. You grad from uni in May/June, your PGDE starts in July for one sem, then following Feb-Apr is your practicum, and then you start BTship in June, exactly one year after your university graduation.

Unregistered 07-07-2022 06:49 AM

Flp

Hi all,
I’m interested to know more about the FLP. Can anyone who’s in FLP share how you were invited to join FLP? (Possibly also what was your age, substantive grade and what commitments you were undertaking around the time you were emplaced to FLP)? My HOD briefly mentioned about FLP as he was a PSC scholar then, but not too sure about the inner workings about it.

How can I go about to increase my chances?

Unregistered 07-07-2022 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224716)
Hi all,
I’m interested to know more about the FLP. Can anyone who’s in FLP share how you were invited to join FLP? (Possibly also what was your age, substantive grade and what commitments you were undertaking around the time you were emplaced to FLP)? My HOD briefly mentioned about FLP as he was a PSC scholar then, but not too sure about the inner workings about it.

How can I go about to increase my chances?

Sample size of two:

1- female, non-scholar, emplaced at 5 YOE (GEO4) while serving a FHQ posting. Late 20s

2- male, local scholar, emplaced at 5 YOE (GEO4) in first year as a subject head in a school. Early 30s

Invitation was via email from the relevant HR people. It's centrally managed and decision makers don't lie within the school.

Nobody really knows how it works. But generally you have to be young and your CEP needs to be high. How high? Don't know. PSC scholar status may guarantee it, but other scholarships may not guarantee it. You could also get it as a non-scholar if your CEP has been beefed up enough.