Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 20-02-2024 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268855)
So far what has been raised in this thread, is that hiring is cut, so to free up singaporean graduates for the workforce, for other sectors.

Reduced hiring of Singaporean teachers doesn't have to be tied to reduced hiring of foreign teachers

To illustrate how ridiculous this thinking is, let's apply the same logic to the healthcare sector

Sg has a shortage of doctors, and doctors work long hours. Should MOH therefore reduce the number of Medicine places in our local unis and hire less Singaporean doctors, so as to free up these bright young minds for other key economic sectors, such as finance, AI or data science (insert hot field) perhaps?
At the same time MOH should not look into hiring of FT doctors, since clearly there's so many bright Singaporean students with straight As applying for a place in sg medical schools, right?

Yet when we visit polyclinics and public hospitals, there are so many FT doctors.

Squeezing teachers dry and endlessly piling on additional work on them is not sustainable nor ethical.

In terms of manpower numbers and labour costs, your argument does make a lot of sense...

Unfortunately, education may be a sector that the government sees as sensitive, so they probably will not immediately open the floodgates of accepting foreigners. Their basis for selection may be similar to defence (MINDEF) and security (MHA), where foreigner recruitment is minimised as well.

Cannot have extra manpower, cannot increase labour budget too. Will this become a dying sector?

Unregistered 21-02-2024 09:04 AM

Is it really worth to be LH or ST in the school ?

Unregistered 21-02-2024 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268947)

If you think you will make it to SEO3 (VP equivalent) or beyond (P) Yes.
If not, probably not.

HOT like me aged 40 at GEO5 celing.

Unregistered 21-02-2024 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268951)
If you think you will make it to SEO3 (VP equivalent) or beyond (P) Yes.
If not, probably not.

HOT like me aged 40 at GEO5 celing.

Agree with your point, BUT it is necessary to caveat to younger officers - especially those who joined after 2015, that you may not hit the GEO5 salary ceiling by age 40. You will probably be at the GEO5 subgrade, but very unlikely at/near the ceiling.

Unregistered 21-02-2024 01:18 PM

Quote:

What is "worth" to you? Do you find meaning and purpose in your work?
Do you wish to invest more in your own growth, and take interest in the development and growth of others?

Or do you mean in terms of salary?

It it does not come at a great cost to what you hold dear and not with painful sacrifices, go ahead.

My advice is not to take what you hear here with a pinch of salt (including mine) because forums may not be a proportionate representation of the views out there.

Unregistered 22-02-2024 08:22 PM

My secondment to an independent school is about to end. Should I change to become direct hire?

Unregistered 22-02-2024 08:39 PM

yes

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269061)
My secondment to an independent school is about to end. Should I change to become direct hire?

yes, you can and should. hide away from from schools

Nohope:( 22-02-2024 08:57 PM

Advice

Hey there, got 60 RP for my A levels. Currently one year from finishing NS. Goal is to become a math teacher at either secondary schools or JCs.

Would SUSS part time mathematics degree be eligible for NIE PDGE with degree pay? Planning to take the part time math degree while working as a relief teacher under the MOE scheme for relief educators.

Is this route feasible or are there better pathways to become a math teacher in sec/jc? Born year 2000 btw

Unregistered 23-02-2024 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nohope:( (Post 269064)
Hey there, got 60 RP for my A levels. Currently one year from finishing NS. Goal is to become a math teacher at either secondary schools or JCs.

Would SUSS part time mathematics degree be eligible for NIE PDGE with degree pay? Planning to take the part time math degree while working as a relief teacher under the MOE scheme for relief educators.

Is this route feasible or are there better pathways to become a math teacher in sec/jc? Born year 2000 btw

Your options are:
1. Retake A levels and get better grades. And apply for NIE.
2. Accept that you can only be a math tutor at best.

Recruitment has slowed, especially for STEM subjects. All hires now are on the teaching scholar programme, and recipients of local scholarship or study award are channeled to NIE to do their degree directly, instead of the pgde route.

And SUSS is not really recognised. More so for part time degrees.

Unregistered 24-02-2024 12:57 AM

dont get the logic of forcing gaza strip topic to every form teacher to teach, while some are more vocal, some really coulndt give a damn on what this conflict is and yet teach, because every teacher is a cce teacher.. confirm backfire see la see la

Unregistered 24-02-2024 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269151)
dont get the logic of forcing gaza strip topic to every form teacher to teach, while some are more vocal, some really coulndt give a damn on what this conflict is and yet teach, because every teacher is a cce teacher.. confirm backfire see la see la

Later teach wrong stuff. This should be covered by history or social studies.

Unregistered 24-02-2024 06:42 AM

Quote:

Does the school allow you to be a direct hire in the first place?

Unregistered 24-02-2024 10:10 AM

Quote:

If you're happy with the environment and student profile, and can live with the fact that leadership positions are harder to come by, then… why not?

Unregistered 24-02-2024 10:27 PM

Hi, I'm planning to leave teaching after semester 2 this year. Is there anything me stopping for leaving at the end of June (just as the new school term starts) so that I can receive salary for the holidays as well? Also, how is the salary cycle calculated if I leave on say 26 June? Is it prorated by the past month? From which date? Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 24-02-2024 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269087)
Your options are:
1. Retake A levels and get better grades. And apply for NIE.
2. Accept that you can only be a math tutor at best.

Recruitment has slowed, especially for STEM subjects. All hires now are on the teaching scholar programme, and recipients of local scholarship or study award are channeled to NIE to do their degree directly, instead of the pgde route.

And SUSS is not really recognised. More so for part time degrees.

Pardon me for asking this - are SIM and SUSS recognise? Are there such grads teaching in our local schs?

Unregistered 25-02-2024 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269193)
Pardon me for asking this - are SIM and SUSS recognise? Are there such grads teaching in our local schs?

As far as I know, it is recognised for emplacement for existing teachers, but for fresh BTs, most of their degrees are either from NUS, NTU or NIE.

Unregistered 25-02-2024 09:04 AM

Quote:

Yes I am from SUSS and am teaching in a primary school. I went through PGDE in NIE

Unregistered 25-02-2024 11:32 AM

Quote:

For me, yes. One thing I absolutely hate is to be brought up during appraisal and let the heads rank me, which we all know that it is not entirely a very far and transparent process. I had my fair share of being shot for ridiculous things which they claimed that I did, which are untrue. Being a KP means that your perf grade will be determined by SLs or at most with some senior KP’s input, particularly your RO. Also, depending on schools, you might not be a form or cca teacher.

At the same time, being appointed means that you take on greater responsibilities, which likely equate to better performance grade, and faster promotion. You might also get small allowance if you are in the GEO sub grade.

But…

If your school still tax SH heavily, needing them to run cca, being a form teacher, having little to no reduction in workload, then no. You must also like being an RO, don’t mind having additional exco meetings, and being given additional planning work to do. At times, your heads might also taichi sai jobs that he/she doesn’t want to do to you.

I do love being a KP tbh, but I have seen many struggle and even stepped down.So…it really depends on your preference.

Unregistered 25-02-2024 12:01 PM

Quote:

Yes, I was from SIM-UOL and now currently teaching in a primary school. But I must say is very very very rare to find us as NIE PDGE, BT.

Unregistered 25-02-2024 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269223)
For me, yes. One thing I absolutely hate is to be brought up during appraisal and let the heads rank me, which we all know that it is not entirely a very far and transparent process. I had my fair share of being shot for ridiculous things which they claimed that I did, which are untrue. Being a KP means that your perf grade will be determined by SLs or at most with some senior KP’s input, particularly your RO. Also, depending on schools, you might not be a form or cca teacher.

At the same time, being appointed means that you take on greater responsibilities, which likely equate to better performance grade, and faster promotion. You might also get small allowance if you are in the GEO sub grade.

But…

If your school still tax SH heavily, needing them to run cca, being a form teacher, having little to no reduction in workload, then no. You must also like being an RO, don’t mind having additional exco meetings, and being given additional planning work to do. At times, your heads might also taichi sai jobs that he/she doesn’t want to do to you.

I do love being a KP tbh, but I have seen many struggle and even stepped down.So…it really depends on your preference.

Is it very hard, as an RO to justify good grades for your subordinates during ranking?

Unregistered 25-02-2024 04:32 PM

Are there VPs out there for are of SEO 1 subgrade?

Unregistered 25-02-2024 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269240)
Are there VPs out there for are of SEO 1 subgrade?

Yes, both of my school's new VPs in the last 6 years were appointed while at SEO1, and were subsequently promoted to SEO2 within a year or two. They were quite young, mid/late 30s.

Unregistered 25-02-2024 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269245)
Yes, both of my school's new VPs in the last 6 years were appointed while at SEO1, and were subsequently promoted to SEO2 within a year or two. They were quite young, mid/late 30s.

im guessing theyre scholars?

Unregistered 25-02-2024 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269249)
im guessing theyre scholars?

We didn't ask, nor assume. Does it really matter?

Unregistered 25-02-2024 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268964)
What is "worth" to you? Do you find meaning and purpose in your work?
Do you wish to invest more in your own growth, and take interest in the development and growth of others?

Or do you mean in terms of salary?

It it does not come at a great cost to what you hold dear and not with painful sacrifices, go ahead.

My advice is not to take what you hear here with a pinch of salt (including mine) because forums may not be a proportionate representation of the views out there.

Not worth. I'm an internal SH now at GEO3. Only at my 5th year and I've regretted not leaving last year. Having to do relief every morning sucks. No time for marking sucks. Teaching PSLE subs but yet having to do department works sucks. Really have the feels to just throw letter. MOE has really burned my passion to be a teacher. I don't even have time to plan good lessons for my students because I'm doing unnecessary work that I'm not paid well enough to do.

Unregistered 25-02-2024 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268095)
It's been weighing heavily on my mind lately, and I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one feeling this way. Especially during New Year, when everyone seems to be flaunting their achievements and comparing salaries, it hits harder. Why can't I even reach a five-digit salary? I pour my heart and soul into my work, sacrificing countless after-school hours and weekends for co-curricular activities, event plannings and execution, and ensuring everything runs smoothly. But in the process, I've inadvertently neglected my family for years, and the damage and fallout feels irreparable. Now, my personal life is in shambles, family pretty much gone, and work still demands more from me. I put my entire existence tethered to my job, and despite giving it my all, I'm constantly indirectly told it's not good enough. These thoughts have been consuming me, and I can't shake the feeling that life simply isn't worth living anymore. Am I the only teacher feeling this?

I feel you. So I'm leaving. I don't see myself here anymore, or at least in this school. But I'm also not ready to jump from one hell to another deeper hell. Seems like my friends' schools are also the same and my batch of NIE mates are tendering one by one. So since I made the decision to leave, I've only focused my energy on my students and class. Other than that, forget it. No one's going to clap for you even if you've done well. In this system, it's about how loud and noisy you are. People like me who just do their work diligently will just be burried to death. Whereas GEO5 people can gossip and talk about 'lim ko pi' and do cockpit only. So forget it. Leave while you still can.

Unregistered 25-02-2024 10:05 PM

Why does it take so long for a GEO 3 teacher to get promoted to Geo4? The career progression is so slow after 2015.

How do they calculate a teacher's CEP btw?

Unregistered 25-02-2024 10:25 PM

MOE slammed the brakes on promotion rates, but imo it was terribly mismanaged. Especially the geo3 to geo4 promotions. Geo3 is still seen as an entry-level grade for teachers newly confirmed to service, and to keep teachers at geo3 for 5, 6, even 8 years is a yearly cold slap in the face.

The brakes were not gradually applied, they were shoved so hard that the difference in advancement rates is blindingly obvious between the Gen X teachers and the younger ones, while no effort was made by HR to communicate and rationalise this to the larger service.

Unregistered 25-02-2024 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269245)

High CEP people also promote so slow. Why are they still at SEO1 when they are already assessed to be suitable for school leadership? Age should not be such a huge factor in one's subgrade.

Unregistered 26-02-2024 12:52 AM

SEO1 VPs....

What a joke

Unregistered 26-02-2024 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269253)
We didn't ask, nor assume. Does it really matter?

Not very important. Just that based on age, they probably are.

There are still quite a few officers at that age...at GEO3

Unregistered 26-02-2024 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269258)
Not worth. I'm an internal SH now at GEO3. Only at my 5th year and I've regretted not leaving last year. Having to do relief every morning sucks. No time for marking sucks. Teaching PSLE subs but yet having to do department works sucks. Really have the feels to just throw letter. MOE has really burned my passion to be a teacher. I don't even have time to plan good lessons for my students because I'm doing unnecessary work that I'm not paid well enough to do.

Where are you looking to go if you leave teaching? What’s your Uni degree?

Unregistered 26-02-2024 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269273)
SEO1 VPs....

What a joke

Agree also. Kena squeezed dry by MOE sia......

Unregistered 26-02-2024 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269280)
Where are you looking to go if you leave teaching? What’s your Uni degree?

Sociology.

Haiz. No idea. But I’m really tired of here. I feel like I may just look for any job just to get out of this hell.

Unregistered 26-02-2024 08:32 PM

There are a few GEO 3 KPs in my school. geo 3 pay to do KP job, really not worth it. MOE
taking forever to promote geo3 teachers no wonder a lot of them quit. Fed up already

Unregistered 26-02-2024 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269321)
There are a few GEO 3 KPs in my school. geo 3 pay to do KP job, really not worth it. MOE
taking forever to promote geo3 teachers no wonder a lot of them quit. Fed up already

"How dare you have leadership and management competencies at the tender age of 30?"

- MOE probably

Unregistered 26-02-2024 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269318)
Sociology.

Haiz. No idea. But I’m really tired of here. I feel like I may just look for any job just to get out of this hell.

Quote:

How long have you / they been GEO3 KPs?

Unregistered 26-02-2024 09:37 PM

Should we take a page from SAF
mE1.1 me1.2 me 1.3

So we can create sub rank for each GEO
This way every 1-2 years get a promotion

Ppl satisfied and won’t leave

Unregistered 26-02-2024 10:39 PM

Quote:

Now GEO3 still can take on KP appointment meh? Thought need GEO4 to be formally appointed.

GEO3 at best, can only be internal KPs.

Unregistered 26-02-2024 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 269330)
Should we take a page from SAF
mE1.1 me1.2 me 1.3

So we can create sub rank for each GEO
This way every 1-2 years get a promotion

Ppl satisfied and won’t leave

Last time that is called 1A1, 1A2, 1A3

And people do promote every 2-3 years.

People seem to have forgotten that these grades, or the newer GEO1,2,3,4,5,5A, are ultimately still timescale grades for rank and file.

Chiong to the max grade, and slowly farm the annual increment.

This is also why the salary range is so broad for geo5.
For people to hentak kaki and farm their annual $100-200 increments until they hit retirement.