Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 09-02-2024 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267941)
That hasn't been my experience though. The merit increments for C+/B that I was getting while drawing 3.8k-4k gross are in the same ballpark as the ones I'm getting for the same perf grades now while drawing mid-6k. The percentage is in fact dropping. Used to get over 4%, now it's more like 2.7% for a C+.

Increments have fallen across the board in recent years...

Unregistered 09-02-2024 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267926)
some of the bigger HOD portfolio allows for SEO3.

There are sometimes more complexities to this - might be high performing officers that did not clear VP interview, or nearing retirement age.

I know at least 2 HODs on SEO3s in my school. Both above 55 and have been in role for long time

Unregistered 09-02-2024 04:05 PM

I am genuinely curious - are young teachers able to take the **** now? I dont see how...
In my school there are almost no fresh ones out of NIE for a few years so I hv no clue. But when I see students nowadays I cant imagine them being able to take the **** teaching involves nowadays...

Unregistered 09-02-2024 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267957)
Increments have fallen across the board in recent years...

Perhaps during this time next month, everyone can contribute some data to see the % increments over the last few years, including the most recent one.

Unregistered 09-02-2024 04:37 PM

How much would the average principal earn?

Unregistered 09-02-2024 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267963)
How much would the average principal earn?

Your average principal won't be exploring this thread. They won't be gathering together to share salary and work out an average as well.

Unregistered 09-02-2024 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267965)
Your average principal won't be exploring this thread. They won't be gathering together to share salary and work out an average as well.

My uncle was a sec school principal before he retired.
My dad told me he was earning about 20k per month.

Unregistered 09-02-2024 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267941)
That hasn't been my experience though. The merit increments for C+/B that I was getting while drawing 3.8k-4k gross are in the same ballpark as the ones I'm getting for the same perf grades now while drawing mid-6k. The percentage is in fact dropping. Used to get over 4%, now it's more like 2.7% for a C+.

are u a geo4?

how many years in service?

Unregistered 09-02-2024 11:03 PM

Hi all, will anyone be able to advise what are the job responsibilities of a LH/SH and whether it’s a big jump in terms of workload from a normal teacher?

Please share your experiences and esp if you are/were a SH/LH, I’d like to find out if you had to put in significantly more hours into your work and planning than if you were just a classroom teacher. Thanks in advance.

Unregistered 09-02-2024 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 267998)
Hi all, will anyone be able to advise what are the job responsibilities of a LH/SH and whether it’s a big jump in terms of workload from a normal teacher?

Please share your experiences and esp if you are/were a SH/LH, I’d like to find out if you had to put in significantly more hours into your work and planning than if you were just a classroom teacher. Thanks in advance.

In general, it all depends on your SH/LH profile. If you are doing your subject and LH/SH on your own subject then it won’t go too far from what you are doing now.
If you are doing SH role for discipline, student well being, student leadership then you wil be putting more hours.

Unregistered 10-02-2024 12:58 AM

Thanks for your input.
I’ve been given an opportunity but I am worried about not being able to cope. As a normal classroom teacher I already feel stretched on some weeks, with marking, planning of lessons and department programs to prepare for.
Back home I have young kids who need my attention too. Just hoping to make an informed and responsible decision so that I don’t jump into anything I am not ready for. At the same time I understand this is a rare opportunity that’s not given to everyone so I’m in a huge dilemma :”)

Unregistered 10-02-2024 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268004)
Thanks for your input.
I’ve been given an opportunity but I am worried about not being able to cope. As a normal classroom teacher I already feel stretched on some weeks, with marking, planning of lessons and department programs to prepare for.
Back home I have young kids who need my attention too. Just hoping to make an informed and responsible decision so that I don’t jump into anything I am not ready for. At the same time I understand this is a rare opportunity that’s not given to everyone so I’m in a huge dilemma :”)

I was in the same situation as you, school events programmes and having young kids at home too. But decided to take it up and with the support of my SLs, things work well.
Yes, your working hours will increase especially mine is not subject base.. but it’s worth it for me, I’m starting to like my new role

Unregistered 10-02-2024 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268016)
I was in the same situation as you, school events programmes and having young kids at home too. But decided to take it up and with the support of my SLs, things work well.
Yes, your working hours will increase especially mine is not subject base.. but it’s worth it for me, I’m starting to like my new role

Just to ride on, can someone clearly list the difference between the jobscope/roles/ responsibility of an LH vs a HOD? How can an LH excel in his/her role, without only appearing as a soldier to the HOD?

Can someone if an example of an LH they knew, and some key impact they created to allow them to eventually progress quickly as a HOD?

Unregistered 10-02-2024 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268021)
Just to ride on, can someone clearly list the difference between the jobscope/roles/ responsibility of an LH vs a HOD? How can an LH excel in his/her role, without only appearing as a soldier to the HOD?

Can someone if an example of an LH they knew, and some key impact they created to allow them to eventually progress quickly as a HOD?

HOD oversees the department so key dept decisions, alignment to school's visions, contributing to school decisions from dept interest, and management of teachers performance/workload. The role of the LH/SH differs from school to school, dept to dept. Its all about being a good support for your HOD. Some schools SH/LHs have reportees, some don't. Its good to craft out a rough work plan with your HOD, to see which are areas you can contribute in and support more with your strengths. Fundamentally, HOD or SH -- all are foot soldiers. So its about working together and enjoying the partnership.

For career development to HOD, people management and acumen for decision-making is important. You got to understand the organisation/culture, find ways to challenge/improve but also have the big picture to know your voice does not always matter.

Unregistered 10-02-2024 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268034)
HOD oversees the department so key dept decisions, alignment to school's visions, contributing to school decisions from dept interest, and management of teachers performance/workload. The role of the LH/SH differs from school to school, dept to dept. Its all about being a good support for your HOD. Some schools SH/LHs have reportees, some don't. Its good to craft out a rough work plan with your HOD, to see which are areas you can contribute in and support more with your strengths. Fundamentally, HOD or SH -- all are foot soldiers. So its about working together and enjoying the partnership.

For career development to HOD, people management and acumen for decision-making is important. You got to understand the organisation/culture, find ways to challenge/improve but also have the big picture to know your voice does not always matter.

Thank you!

Unregistered 11-02-2024 09:34 AM

It's been weighing heavily on my mind lately, and I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one feeling this way. Especially during New Year, when everyone seems to be flaunting their achievements and comparing salaries, it hits harder. Why can't I even reach a five-digit salary? I pour my heart and soul into my work, sacrificing countless after-school hours and weekends for co-curricular activities, event plannings and execution, and ensuring everything runs smoothly. But in the process, I've inadvertently neglected my family for years, and the damage and fallout feels irreparable. Now, my personal life is in shambles, family pretty much gone, and work still demands more from me. I put my entire existence tethered to my job, and despite giving it my all, I'm constantly indirectly told it's not good enough. These thoughts have been consuming me, and I can't shake the feeling that life simply isn't worth living anymore. Am I the only teacher feeling this?

Unregistered 11-02-2024 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268095)
It's been weighing heavily on my mind lately, and I can't help but wonder if I'm the only one feeling this way. Especially during New Year, when everyone seems to be flaunting their achievements and comparing salaries, it hits harder. Why can't I even reach a five-digit salary? I pour my heart and soul into my work, sacrificing countless after-school hours and weekends for co-curricular activities, event plannings and execution, and ensuring everything runs smoothly. But in the process, I've inadvertently neglected my family for years, and the damage and fallout feels irreparable. Now, my personal life is in shambles, family pretty much gone, and work still demands more from me. I put my entire existence tethered to my job, and despite giving it my all, I'm constantly indirectly told it's not good enough. These thoughts have been consuming me, and I can't shake the feeling that life simply isn't worth living anymore. Am I the only teacher feeling this?

The civil service is not a place for five-digit salaries. In fact, cost-cutting is still ongoing in the education service and beyond.

If you believe that you have got the teaching skills to make it big outside, go into the tuition industry or private education.

Unregistered 11-02-2024 02:02 PM

Quote:

5 figure salary as an EO is not mission impossible but not very common unless you are a SEO. So if finanacial progression is what you pursue, teaching or civil service may not be your first choice. To be frank, there is no in between or best of both worlds, it’s either you place you work or your family first. Once that decision was made, there is really no turning back. I used to priortise my work at all costs, but a wise colleague reminded me that no matter what you do and what position you hold, all of us are just a number in the grander scheme of things and we are all replaceable. However, in your family, you are irreplaceable and from that point onwards, I had an epiphany and that is my family will always be mine first priority. I am not sure if you can mend your relationship with your family, I hope it’s not too late.

Unregistered 11-02-2024 02:26 PM

Quote:

you're not alone bro. maybe there can be some group or community for teachers to reach out to one another for help and advice

i honestly feel the most for the sandwiched teachers i.e those who joined between 2013 and later. the recent events of COVID, cost cutting measures, lack of manpower and influx of new policies. all these within the last 4 years only...already resulted in a huge imbalance in compensation vs workload.

Unregistered 11-02-2024 04:00 PM

Quote:

It seems that you sacrificed your family for a career and perhaps got nothing to show for it. In education, many KPs and SLs make use of teachers like yourself to establish their careers while focusing on wayang and looking good to their ROs. Stay long enough in service and you will see their true colours. Do not neglect your mental health and family for a job.

Unregistered 11-02-2024 08:29 PM

Quote:

If you are looking for 5-digit salary, civil service is definitely not the right place. Even more so for farmers.

The only perk that civil service has, is job stability.

If you want more money, private sector is the way to go.

And no matter where you go, keep your worklife within what you are due. Everyone is replaceable, and working harder and longer not only doesn't really improve your career, it harms your health and family ties, which are irreplaceable.

If you think you can tahan, stay.

Otherwise, better to look for greener pastures. There are plenty out there.

Unregistered 11-02-2024 09:26 PM

Quote:

5 figure salary as an EO is not mission impossible but not very common unless you are a SEO. So if finanacial progression is what you pursue, teaching or civil service may not be your first choice. To be frank, there is no in between or best of both worlds, it’s either you place you work or your family first. Once that decision was made, there is really no turning back. I used to priortise my work at all costs, but a wise colleague reminded me that no matter what you do and what position you hold, all of us are just a number in the grander scheme of things and we are all replaceable. However, in your family, you are irreplaceable and from that point onwards, I had an epiphany and that is my family will always be mine first priority. I am not sure if you can mend your relationship with your family, I hope it’s not too late.

Unregistered 11-02-2024 11:18 PM

Quote:

Hello friend, I hope you feel better after a break.

One thing I hope you realise (as early as possible!) is that schools differ quite much across the landscape. In terms of work load, opportunities, work culture and environment, people always feel that "its all the same everywhere" but actually its not true. Move around and find the right people, place, and environment. Don't stay still in one place for 20 years to regret and have all these negative feelings. A lot of teachers just want to find success in wherever they are, refuse to move, refuse to try something different or go somewhere else.

Unregistered 12-02-2024 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268171)
Hello friend, I hope you feel better after a break.

One thing I hope you realise (as early as possible!) is that schools differ quite much across the landscape. In terms of work load, opportunities, work culture and environment, people always feel that "its all the same everywhere" but actually its not true. Move around and find the right people, place, and environment. Don't stay still in one place for 20 years to regret and have all these negative feelings. A lot of teachers just want to find success in wherever they are, refuse to move, refuse to try something different or go somewhere else.

for some subjects, it is extremely hard to move or transfer, unless u do cross level deployment, where people are immediately very interested in u

Unregistered 12-02-2024 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268186)
for some subjects, it is extremely hard to move or transfer, unless u do cross level deployment, where people are immediately very interested in u

i believe it’s much better now though?

Unregistered 12-02-2024 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268144)
Otherwise, better to look for greener pastures. There are plenty out there.

Four of us in the same school have looking for greener pastures over the last three to four years. There seem to be limited choices due to our "only teaching experience". One of us was brave enough to just quit in 2022. She has since become a private tutor but earning about half of what she used to earn even after one year of doing this. Private tutoring is not that lucrative after all. She was teaching EL in a primary school.

Unregistered 12-02-2024 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268203)
Four of us in the same school have looking for greener pastures over the last three to four years. There seem to be limited choices due to our "only teaching experience". One of us was brave enough to just quit in 2022. She has since become a private tutor but earning about half of what she used to earn even after one year of doing this. Private tutoring is not that lucrative after all. She was teaching EL in a primary school.

It's only lucrative if you adopt a business model, or align yourself to a business model, that maximises profits at the expense of the so-called 'greater good'. You don't have to look far to find mega tuition centre chains that charge exorbitant fees for group classes. You may also find current MOE teachers asking upwards of 150+ per hour for 1-to-1 weekend tutoring, especially for A level subjects and/or Music (all levels). As with any business, if you set it up to target the wealthy clientele, you'll have a shot at making big bucks. But this always creates a dilemma for the teacher whose heart yearns to do social good.

Unregistered 12-02-2024 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244406)
If promoted you will get a "big" increment. The "big" increment consists of two components added up together:
1) the merit increment, which is the default April increment that you get every year as long as you don't get a D grade or hit the ceiling;
2) the promotion increment

If not promoted, you only get a merit increment (component 1).

Usually how much will merit increment and promotion increment be? Can give a rough figure? TIA!

Unregistered 12-02-2024 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268211)
Usually how much will merit increment and promotion increment be? Can give a rough figure? TIA!

Difficult to say now. It used to be a lot higher before covid, and it hasn't been enough years "post-covid" to really know what the new typical figures are.

FWIW, my last promotion from GEO4 to GEO5 only gave me about 420+ in total. C+ grade for the preceding year's work.

Unregistered 12-02-2024 03:20 PM

Does the payroll for March or April reflect the merit/ promotion increment?

Unregistered 12-02-2024 05:09 PM

Sorry I ask a stupid question. Is the merit increment based on your performance bonus grade? So it differs from people to people?

Unregistered 12-02-2024 08:36 PM

Dear colleagues

Registered to be FAJT recently. Saw that my T1 and T2 rates are both $58.

1) How much would my daily pay be?
2) for long-time FAJTs, do you find that it’s enough time to complete all your marking by 1.30pm?

3) what do u guys do to supplement your income?

Unregistered 13-02-2024 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268235)
Sorry I ask a stupid question. Is the merit increment based on your performance bonus grade? So it differs from people to people?

As what all teachers should say, there are no stupid questions :) We are all here to help one another :)

Yes you are right. But just to add on, it may differ for groups of people who are in different subgrade.

Unregistered 13-02-2024 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268214)
Difficult to say now. It used to be a lot higher before covid, and it hasn't been enough years "post-covid" to really know what the new typical figures are.

FWIW, my last promotion from GEO4 to GEO5 only gave me about 420+ in total. C+ grade for the preceding year's work.

were u promoted in 2022?

Unregistered 13-02-2024 10:14 AM

Quote:

s://.reddit.com/r/singapore/comments/y3pa63/chan_chun_sings_moe_is_critically_out_of_touch/?rdt=45513

Unregistered 13-02-2024 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268286)
were u promoted in 2022?

Yup April 2022. I'm thankful for the relatively fast promotions compared to my peers but as a GEO5 drawing 6.4k gross it is a bit disconcerting to know that some GEO3 are already drawing 5.9k. Almost as if MOE believes that people will never discuss and compare salary just because they say salary info is confidential :P

Anyway, I always tell the younger teachers that if they want salary growth, they need to upskill and job hop while still young. Don't sit around and rot here like this uncle. No market value liao.

Unregistered 13-02-2024 02:52 PM

Quote:

Please take a step back as soon as you can! From the sound of it, you are near breaking point. Time to things easy!

Unregistered 13-02-2024 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268312)
Yup April 2022. I'm thankful for the relatively fast promotions compared to my peers but as a GEO5 drawing 6.4k gross it is a bit disconcerting to know that some GEO3 are already drawing 5.9k. Almost as if MOE believes that people will never discuss and compare salary just because they say salary info is confidential :P

Anyway, I always tell the younger teachers that if they want salary growth, they need to upskill and job hop while still young. Don't sit around and rot here like this uncle. No market value liao.

This sounds extremely strange. GEO5 but drawing just 6.4k?? Seems like a huge mismatch between the subgrade and compensation.

How many years of exp do you have? Are you a midcareer officer?

Unregistered 13-02-2024 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268203)

Look beyond teaching sector. The job market is much bigger than that.

Unregistered 13-02-2024 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 268312)

Your promotion rate must be really quite fast for you to be getting 6.4k at GEO 5. How many years have you been in service?