Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Job Application with MOE (non-teaching position) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1593-job-application-ministry-education-singapore-non-teaching-position.html)

ewsret agree, 14-04-2012 09:26 AM

MOE has got one of the highest rate of job applicants with only a small HR unit of about 100 officers looking after 33000 staff... they have a lot of things on their plate so don't expect MOE HR to be so fast...

If you're going for the Admin Manager job in a school, they'll look for someone who already has some work experience, is mature and stable... pass degree is ok...

For HQ jobs, they have many eager beaver fresh grads armed with honours this and honours that... again, depend on the job... certain Divisions love scholars and young officers as they have more energy and intellect to undertake gruelling 3-5 hours meetings, stay back lack to prepare things for the bosses, etc... you'd have a tough time if you go to MOE with so-so conversational and writing skills.

lmaohaha 14-04-2012 09:35 AM

any idea can a fresh grad w/o working exp be a admin manager?

Unregistered 14-04-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmaohaha (Post 23799)

I only said that MOE prefers those with some work experience... you can always try.

Unregistered 14-04-2012 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmaohaha (Post 23799)

Quite common, all the manager titles in civil service are fake anyway.

lmaohaha 14-04-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23818)

thx for ur replies. btw any idea what qns moe hr will normally ask during interview for non-teaching jobs? my resume aint that colorful, currently 2nd upper wif last sem to go (cap quite safe). juz dunno can get into moe or not

Unregistered 15-04-2012 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23818)

sad but true

Unregistered 15-04-2012 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmaohaha (Post 23824)
thx for ur replies. btw any idea what qns moe hr will normally ask during interview for non-teaching jobs? my resume aint that colorful, currently 2nd upper wif last sem to go (cap quite safe). juz dunno can get into moe or not

for Admin Manager job, they'll probably ask why a young fresh grad like yourself want to do a desk-bound job in a school with little prospect of moving up

Unregistered 15-04-2012 10:17 AM

MOE seems to be massive hiring Admin Mgrs every month, any idea is it because the turnover is very high?
How are Admin Mgrs view in school? Are they considered low-level jobs in the school? E.g. like a highly paid clerk doing dirty work and not respected by teaching staffs?
Also, the salary range published in their website seems a little low for experienced hires... Any idea what is the highest they would offer for an accountant with 15 yrs experience who is thinking of moving into civil svc from pte sector?
Thanks!

lmaohaha 15-04-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23842)
for Admin Manager job, they'll probably ask why a young fresh grad like yourself want to do a desk-bound job in a school with little prospect of moving up

i rly have no idea abt the job prospects. im still deciding btw moe hq and school administrator. from my pov, i tink hq is a scholar grooming place, full of ppl wif gd honours, hard to shine and rise. in schools, hardly so? nid some advice on the difference in the 2 in terms of pay and prospects.

Unregistered 15-04-2012 11:38 AM

Helping a friend to ask - would someone majoring in Chinese be better off doing the AM role instead of going via the academic route in terms of pay/career advancement? He has very little passion in teaching though.