Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1506-q-big4-yearly-salary-increment.html)

Unregistered 01-05-2022 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216507)
So should I continue with this internship for the resume (cause big 4)? Or should I just jump to mid tier ones like gt/rsm?

lmao these are all still accounting firms, with a few other minor fancy-sounding service lines. what kind of tech related internship are you expecting???

it seems like you first need to figure out what you wanna do.

Unregistered 01-05-2022 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216507)
So should I continue with this internship for the resume (cause big 4)? Or should I just jump to mid tier ones like gt/rsm?

urs is for the upcoming summer internship? it's alr May. I doubt u can find another one in time

Unregistered 01-05-2022 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216508)
lmao these are all still accounting firms, with a few other minor fancy-sounding service lines. what kind of tech related internship are you expecting???

it seems like you first need to figure out what you wanna do.

I wanted to do something tech related and with data analytics, and that’s what the jd and hr said it was, and i took it at face value, which was honestly stupid. Now I’m trying to salvage my situation, so if u have any advice, that would be helpful

Unregistered 01-05-2022 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216509)
urs is for the upcoming summer internship? it's alr May. I doubt u can find another one in time

:(( I’ll try to survive the mundane internship

Unregistered 01-05-2022 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216503)
do an internship in anotehr field to get out lor... urs is internship, also not full-time job so still got hope.

Tech related go Accenture better

Unregistered 01-05-2022 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216513)
Tech related go Accenture better

I see, I’ll keep that in mind when applying after I grad. Thank :)

Unregistered 01-05-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216473)
Good job. Your bubble mentality is holding up well. I don't regret starting off in audit too since it is one of the path (and for many) pursuing a career in accounting/audit related. But a couple of points to take

Camaraderie turns weaker into AM-SM years as your batchmates left. You can probably sense office politics between different managers once you enter into senior years. You can gauge for yourself and see if becoming like your M or SM is something you want.

Growth is frankly non existent. Assurance in big4 is basically throwing someone into the sea without teaching them how to swim. So you have people swimming in all different styles, could see people swimming in poor forms.

Aiming for partnership (in first year) is a lot of daydream and a very poor career advice. Thinking of partnership with going through at least 5-8 years of audit career is just too much dreaming. In addition, try to structure your career into a 2-5 year workplan instead. This is easier to visualize and allows you to take stock of whether you are heading into the direction you want.

this is honestly the best and most realistic advice. to the fresh grads out there, do consider this dude's comments and do not be misled by some partners' dreams or "progression" in big 4.

Unregistered 01-05-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216510)
I wanted to do something tech related and with data analytics, and that’s what the jd and hr said it was, and i took it at face value, which was honestly stupid. Now I’m trying to salvage my situation, so if u have any advice, that would be helpful

I think you need to figure out what type of "tech related" jobs that you are aiming for and capable of.

"Being in tech" sound like the fun / well paying / current thing to do. But you seem awfully unaware what you want to do and just want to be associated with being in tech.

Unregistered 01-05-2022 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216444)
Hey guys, SM here that is on track to partnership. I suggest you guys to stick it out all the way as PA offers the best in terms of learning experience that will bring you long term benefits. Looking beyond pay and hours, it’s actually the best place that you can work for - strong sense of camaraderie, management caring about your growth and the best, opportunity to make partner. This is the first job out of my Uni and although hours are long, it paid off and I have to admit I never regret working here

probably single and lonely

Unregistered 01-05-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216521)
I think you need to figure out what type of "tech related" jobs that you are aiming for and capable of.

"Being in tech" sound like the fun / well paying / current thing to do. But you seem awfully unaware what you want to do and just want to be associated with being in tech.

I see… thanks for the direction, I’ll look for into it then