Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much to ask for starting pay for those graduating in 2021? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13032-how-much-ask-starting-pay-those-graduating-2021-a.html)

Unregistered 21-09-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145962)
There is a thread on this forum about the compilation of MA salaries. More than 3/4 of that list is above 4k. If you are a respectable MNC, COVID won't affect u as much, the number of top tier students hired by these MNCs or banks for 2021 will be the same as 2019 and 2020.

The people who see their pay go down in 2021 are those who would end up in SMEs even in non-COVID to begin with (pay drop from 2.8k to 2.5). Because in COVID, the SMEs are the one who are impacted the most.

1. The thread on MA salaries is not 100% accurate

2. Compensation for MA/GA for affected MNCs are expected to fall this year

3. Number of GA/MA spots for top-tier spots will definitely be lower as compared to previous years (Source: Most SA programmes have a lower return rate this year)

Unregistered 21-09-2020 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145963)
Kaplan students mix with Kaplan students, the whole bunch of them get offered 2.2k to 2.5k, they think this is industry standard.

Local Uni second lower make friends with other second lower, they get offers from 2.8k to 3k, they all think this is also normal.

Double degree first class ask their fellow double degree classmates the salary offered when they secure a job, the average answer is 5.5k, they also think no fresh grad job exists paying below 4k.

When ppl say 2.2k to 2.5k is normal for fresh grad, it's very easy to know where they study and what CAP they get la hor...

Your figures and data are flawed.

I know of a handful of local uni grads (even second upper) accepting 2.5k traineeships - just look at the post on UBS FS Academy.

Btw, double degree first-class average salary ain't 5.5k. It depends on your degree. From 2019 GES data, NBS Biz&Acct median salary is 4k.

Unregistered 21-09-2020 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145969)
Your figures and data are flawed.

I know of a handful of local uni grads (even second upper) accepting 2.5k traineeships - just look at the post on UBS FS Academy.

Btw, double degree first-class average salary ain't 5.5k. It depends on your degree. From 2019 GES data, NBS Biz&Acct median salary is 4k.

Your post is more accurate, I have so many peers from autonomous Unis all getting 2.4k to 2.6k and we have peeps here talking about 5.5k, lol rofl what a joke... still living in lalaland...

Unregistered 21-09-2020 03:13 PM

I'm surprised at the figures mentioned in this thread. Previously, even after covid, one would easily have formed the impression after reading this forum that the starting salary of the vast majority of fresh grads is around the range of $4.6-6k/mth.

It made me, as an experienced worker making $4.8k/mth, very depressed. Looks like they were not representative of all fresh grads after all.

Unregistered 21-09-2020 03:20 PM

anyone know how accurate is the mycareersfuture salary. Especially for govt jobs.

I am also talking more about the min rather than max because... i expect the max to be less accurate

Unregistered 21-09-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145968)
1. The thread on MA salaries is not 100% accurate

2. Compensation for MA/GA for affected MNCs are expected to fall this year

3. Number of GA/MA spots for top-tier spots will definitely be lower as compared to previous years (Source: Most SA programmes have a lower return rate this year)

Yes can confirm this. Know of one MNC that is being more selective in their 2021 grad intake and reducing headcount

Unregistered 22-09-2020 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145991)
Yes can confirm this. Know of one MNC that is being more selective in their 2021 grad intake and reducing headcount

Also depends on type of MNCs, a few that my frens went for managed to negotiate around 3.2kish....

They reasoned it's already on the high side.

Unregistered 22-09-2020 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146025)
Also depends on type of MNCs, a few that my frens went for managed to negotiate around 3.2kish....

They reasoned it's already on the high side.

Most if not all GA/MA programmes have fixed packages - no room for nego

Unregistered 24-09-2020 03:41 PM

My experience -
- Graduated last year Oct private uni in electrical engineering
- Interned for an MNC for 6 months $800/m, coverted to perm position Feb this year $3.3k/m
- Left and joined another MNC last month earning $3.65k/m gross, doing R&D for electronics

Unregistered 25-09-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146146)
My experience -
- Graduated last year Oct private uni in electrical engineering
- Interned for an MNC for 6 months $800/m, coverted to perm position Feb this year $3.3k/m
- Left and joined another MNC last month earning $3.65k/m gross, doing R&D for electronics

To be honest 3.65k is actually on the pretty low end of the spectrum for R&D.

Unregistered 25-09-2020 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146208)
To be honest 3.65k is actually on the pretty low end of the spectrum for R&D.

Yeah, I agree. But since they hired me under a fresh grad status seeing that I've less than a year exp and considering covid situation, I think in a way I'm still quite lucky. What do you think?

Unregistered 28-09-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146218)
Yeah, I agree. But since they hired me under a fresh grad status seeing that I've less than a year exp and considering covid situation, I think in a way I'm still quite lucky. What do you think?

When such a large population of trainees are getting 2.5k and amidst such a labour market, yes you should be satisfied.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146335)
When such a large population of trainees are getting 2.5k and amidst such a labour market, yes you should be satisfied.

We should all be grateful that we are not all starving to death in this pandemic. Obviously our first point of comparison should be our third-world neighbours who are more than satisfied with a 2k pay that certain employers claim they can hire anytime. SG is not a first world country, it is a third world country, hence our fresh grads should be satisfied with third world pay.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146348)
We should all be grateful that we are not all starving to death in this pandemic. Obviously our first point of comparison should be our third-world neighbours who are more than satisfied with a 2k pay that certain employers claim they can hire anytime. SG is not a first world country, it is a third world country, hence our fresh grads should be satisfied with third world pay.

Such sarcasm, anyway the world is how it is now, no point being sarcastic.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146354)
Such sarcasm, anyway the world is how it is now, no point being sarcastic.

He's right that SG is not a first world country, even the UN recognizes this.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146348)

I hope that after the pandemic, wage inflation will be curbed so that costs of living will not rise so quickly, or better it will drop. Luckily I am already in the workforce for a few years and have enjoyed decent pay when I started work coupled with good increments over the years. As it is now time for me to start to accumulate assets like properties n all, I hope I can get everything cheaper and I hope this pandemic will present a chance for people like myself.

Sorry if I sound selfish but I think quite a few people have the same view.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146365)
I hope that after the pandemic, wage inflation will be curbed so that costs of living will not rise so quickly, or better it will drop. Luckily I am already in the workforce for a few years and have enjoyed decent pay when I started work coupled with good increments over the years. As it is now time for me to start to accumulate assets like properties n all, I hope I can get everything cheaper and I hope this pandemic will present a chance for people like myself.

Sorry if I sound selfish but I think quite a few people have the same view.

"I got my money already so f*ck the younger generation amirite?"

Unregistered 29-09-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146369)

Does it really matter if he has this view? That view is just a passive observation of how the world is unfolding and that it fortuitously happens to benefit his life. No need to be bitter. And he's not saying "f*ck you" either".

Unregistered 29-09-2020 06:02 PM

1. He sounds like a selfish prick
2. No that is not how the world is unfolding, that is how he wish the world would unfold. Assets (financial & properties) are still priced extremely high in the market.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 06:41 PM

I would ask for 4k minimum, anything less is weak tbh

Unregistered 29-09-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146375)
I would ask for 4k minimum, anything less is weak tbh

For talented local fresh grad, I think you are too modest. Let's aim for a minimum of 5K. No 5K no talk :)

Unregistered 29-09-2020 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146369)

Every man for himself. I only care about myself and my own offsprings. Who cares what happens to others? Remember, no one owes you a living. If you cannot make it, you should reflect on why you have failed.

gutenberg03129g 29-09-2020 09:11 PM

Seems like people are really stretching the baton here with either a “accept whatever offer you get” attitude or “actually you should ask for much much more” mindset.

Reality is most MNCs are still paying $3.5k to $4.5k for fresh grads, Finance would generally be higher ($4.5k+ for BO, $5k+ for FO/MO and of course the huge salaries and bonuses for IB/S&T). Don’t know about SMEs, though I'd wager $3k to $4k is normal in good times, perhaps apply a discount given the COVID period.

Point is, I doubt that there will be a considerable reduction in graduate salaries even during the COVID times. Reduced headcount certainly, but wages are still very sticky on the whole.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutenberg03129g (Post 146379)
Seems like people are really stretching the baton here with either a “accept whatever offer you get” attitude or “actually you should ask for much much more” mindset.

Reality is most MNCs are still paying $3.5k to $4.5k for fresh grads, Finance would generally be higher ($4.5k+ for BO, $5k+ for FO/MO and of course the huge salaries and bonuses for IB/S&T). Don’t know about SMEs, though I'd wager $3k to $4k is normal in good times, perhaps apply a discount given the COVID period.

Point is, I doubt that there will be a considerable reduction in graduate salaries even during the COVID times. Reduced headcount certainly, but wages are still very sticky on the whole.

Certain employers think that COVID-19 is a global nuke, we are all cavemen now, and we should all be hungry for the payment of 2 cows a month.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146372)
Does it really matter if he has this view? That view is just a passive observation of how the world is unfolding and that it fortuitously happens to benefit his life. No need to be bitter. And he's not saying "f*ck you" either".

This is just my passive summary, no need for a wall of text for something which can be said in 1 sentence.

Unregistered 29-09-2020 09:48 PM

How much to expect for UOL grad

Unregistered 29-09-2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146381)
This is just my passive summary, no need for a wall of text for something which can be said in 1 sentence.

Lol you say "wall of text" but I think this guy summed up your bitterness pretty concisely

Unregistered 30-09-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146380)
Certain employers think that COVID-19 is a global nuke, we are all cavemen now, and we should all be hungry for the payment of 2 cows a month.

A whole live cow costs a few thousand dollars

Unregistered 30-09-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146382)
How much to expect for UOL grad

Most SMEs give 2.2k-2.7k now, while most are addressing headcount issues.

If you can join MNCs, wages are also suppressed now, within 3k-3.4k.

It's not easy I know, companies are also cutting AWS and variable bonuses. Having a job in this climate is already very fortunate.

Unregistered 06-10-2020 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146392)

It's not easy I know, companies are also cutting AWS and variable bonuses. Having a job in this climate is already very fortunate.

U sure know your stuff. Yup 2.5k is alrdy very good for starting pay, fully concur.

Unregistered 06-10-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Why is there a different between uol n local U? Both degrees right

Unregistered 06-10-2020 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146850)
Why is there a different between uol n local U? Both degrees right

Why is there a difference between lobster and chicken rice? Both fud right

Unregistered 06-10-2020 01:45 PM

Quote:

+1...........

Unregistered 06-10-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146854)
Why is there a difference between lobster and chicken rice? Both fud right

Excellent answer bro :)

It's like fine dining and cup noodles yeah

Unregistered 06-10-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146877)
Excellent answer bro :)

It's like fine dining and cup noodles yeah

What do you mean?

Degree means degree wat. B&F UOL what's the pay range

Unregistered 06-10-2020 10:53 PM

🙂

Sim 2nd lower here. Got into one of the big 4 acc firms last year. After a few years of work exp, can easily earn more than the local u grads. A lot of local u grads especially those engineering majors get lower progression and even lower exit opps. Being in NUS/NTU is one thing but your major is also impt. lmao at engineering majors thinking their degree better than acc or banking from uol. Please leh don't embarrass yourselves and go fix the mrt instead of posting here.

Unregistered 07-10-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146909)
Sim 2nd lower here. Got into one of the big 4 acc firms last year. After a few years of work exp, can easily earn more than the local u grads. A lot of local u grads especially those engineering majors get lower progression and even lower exit opps. Being in NUS/NTU is one thing but your major is also impt. lmao at engineering majors thinking their degree better than acc or banking from uol. Please leh don't embarrass yourselves and go fix the mrt instead of posting here.

Haha lucky you got into big 4, so it’s not about degree from SIM or NUS/NTU/SIM. Hearsay big 4 jump out to private can get big pay jump.

Those lucky to get into autonomous University got more options since their degree is more marketable.

Unregistered 07-10-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146927)
Haha lucky you got into big 4, so it’s not about degree from SIM or NUS/NTU/SIM. Hearsay big 4 jump out to private can get big pay jump.

Those lucky to get into autonomous University got more options since their degree is more marketable.

Exactly, so don't know what's up with the stupid comparison mentioned beforehand. It's all the same.

Local U grad here anyway

Unregistered 07-10-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146927)

Yea so no need to study, self teach also can.

Why need to go private U, anyone on the street also can become marketable and successful, maybe even more successful since no need to pay tuition fees

Unregistered 07-10-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 146909)

I would let this ego post slide if you had dissed on FASS/COHASS.

However for you A Level/Poly failures to even have the thought of comparing yourselves with a STEM degree from local uni is ludicrous.