Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much to ask for starting pay for those graduating in 2021? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13032-how-much-ask-starting-pay-those-graduating-2021-a.html)

Unregistered 16-09-2020 02:45 PM

Wow can't tell if you you guys are trolling...

My fellow classmates in law / finance are debating between 6 - 8k starting salaries, making considerations based on work life balance, advancement prospects and travelling opportunities.

And you guys are here making jokes over 2.5 starting..... is this real?

Unregistered 16-09-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145656)

My fellow classmates in law / finance are debating between 6 - 8k starting salaries, making considerations based on work life balance, advancement prospects and travelling opportunities.

Dont troll please, if you have nothing better to comment. Learn to have some empathy. 2.5k might not seem like a lot, but this is a reasonably decent salary for the post Covid market! I would say on the high end too for a Fresh Grad!

Unregistered 16-09-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145656)

LAW 6K starting? Even TCs at white shoe firms don’t earn that much. I’m on your side but you’re just as much as a troll as these boomer-lovin 2.5K guys.

Unregistered 16-09-2020 08:26 PM

people getting laid off left right centre still got jokers dreaming of 6-8k starting salary

time to wake up

Unregistered 16-09-2020 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145674)
people getting laid off left right centre still got jokers dreaming of 6-8k starting salary

time to wake up

My friends got offered 7.5 at bytedance, fresh grad. Just because your industry is **** doesn't mean others are.

Unregistered 16-09-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145675)
My friends got offered 7.5 at bytedance, fresh grad. Just because your industry is **** doesn't mean others are.

Please don’t fake name drop.

I’m a recent entry level hire doing A/B testing for TikTok. My batch all are drawing around 3.5K gross.

7.5 as a fresh grad? Can I know what position is that? 7.5K is a Tech Lead salary which requires at least 5 years of JSon knowledge.

Unregistered 16-09-2020 09:26 PM

Quote:

They are the top 1%.

2019 GES median salary only 3k-4k++ depending on your degree (less Law/DD etc)

The number will most likely be lower for 2020 & 2021

Unregistered 16-09-2020 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145678)
Please don’t fake name drop.

I’m a recent entry level hire doing A/B testing for TikTok. My batch all are drawing around 3.5K gross.

7.5 as a fresh grad? Can I know what position is that? 7.5K is a Tech Lead salary which requires at least 5 years of JSon knowledge.

Already say doing A/B testing liao, still want compare with developer role...

Unregistered 16-09-2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145673)
LAW 6K starting? Even TCs at white shoe firms don’t earn that much. I’m on your side but you’re just as much as a troll as these boomer-lovin 2.5K guys.

trainee salaries at international firms are (much) more than 6k starting. not sure what your sources are but there are fresh law grads drawing the salary range stated in the previous post

Unregistered 16-09-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145681)
Already say doing A/B testing liao, still want compare with developer role...

Again with the troll. Even a fresh ML Engineer (the most “coveted” position among entry-level roles) starts at 4K.

ByteDance does not hire entry-level full stack devs. Enough with the lies please.

Unregistered 16-09-2020 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145686)
Again with the troll. Even a fresh ML Engineer (the most “coveted” position among entry-level roles) starts at 4K.

ByteDance does not hire entry-level full stack devs. Enough with the lies please.

I can totally see why you think one of the most highly valued tech firms in the world pay only 4k for their "coveted" ml roles.

Unregistered 16-09-2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Bytedance operates in Singapore? I thought it's TikTok?

Unregistered 16-09-2020 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145673)

You kidding right? "Even TCs at white shoe firms don’t earn that much." You retarded? Just go and google. TCs at white shoe in London will be easily twice that.

U just pull those numbers out of ur ass?

CC SG tc is 7.5k starting. Links too.

And I'm not even referring to TC, I'm talking about post-call.

NQ 6-8k is easy peasy. It's even on the low side.

Unregistered 16-09-2020 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145704)
You kidding right? "Even TCs at white shoe firms don’t earn that much." You retarded? Just go and google. TCs at white shoe in London will be easily twice that.

U just pull those numbers out of ur ass?

CC SG tc is 7.5k starting. Links too.

And I'm not even referring to TC, I'm talking about post-call.

NQ 6-8k is easy peasy. It's even on the low side.

So.... are you one those law grads who managed to land such roles? Cmon la a good 90$-95% of graduates earn btw 3k+ to 4k+ pre-COVID.

And that's pre-COVID mind you.

Unregistered 17-09-2020 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145706)
So.... are you one those law grads who managed to land such roles? Cmon la a good 90$-95% of graduates earn btw 3k+ to 4k+ pre-COVID.

Nah, I didn't do too great in law school. I'm at about 6.5 as a newly qualified lawyer.

Unregistered 17-09-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145707)
Nah, I didn't do too great in law school. I'm at about 6.5 as a newly qualified lawyer.

kudos to you, so would you say you're the minority or the majority? Will the average graduate be drawing 6.5k?

lmao fk off la nus & smu 75th percentile for law is only 5.8k and 5.6k respectively.

Unregistered 17-09-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145708)
kudos to you, so would you say you're the minority or the majority? Will the average graduate be drawing 6.5k?

lmao fk off la nus & smu 75th percentile for law is only 5.8k and 5.6k respectively.

still making more than u right? :)

Unregistered 17-09-2020 12:27 AM

could the trolls please just stay out of here... some people are actually in need of constructive advice

Unregistered 17-09-2020 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145711)
still making more than u right? :)

huh bro u dk meh? I earning 11k base pm la :)

BB/EB IBD, Big Tech SE, OW & Bain Strat Consulting etc - everyone can get a high-paying job post-covid!

Study law for what? Mean salary 5.4k, school fees so high but end up as para legal

Unregistered 17-09-2020 01:59 AM

Under the cloak of anonymity, we have two calibre of retards on opposite ends. One that’s delusional with their “my friends are drawing XXXX” and the other being “2.5K blabla stay hungry”.

I can attest that no one in this thread (Including me uwuu) is earning more than 4K on their first job after undergrad. The wannabe law guy above probably still lives with his parents and is still looking for a job.

Unregistered 17-09-2020 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145725)
Under the cloak of anonymity, we have two calibre of people on opposite ends. One that’s mistaken with their “my friends are drawing XXXX” and the other being “2.5K blabla stay hungry”.

I can attest that no one in this thread is earning more than 4K on their first job after undergrad.

Can’t even hit >4k

Unregistered 17-09-2020 09:28 AM

Quote:

Under the cloak of anonymity, we have two calibre of people on opposite ends. One that’s mistaken with their “my friends are drawing XXXX” and the other being “2.5K blabla stay hungry”.

I can attest that no one in this thread is earning more than 4K on their first job after undergrad.

agreed, only 6% of Singaporeans make >12k/mth... stop trying to smoke and bluff.

Unregistered 17-09-2020 10:07 AM

Lol you guys are fools.. it is a well known fact amongst finance students that a bulge bracket bank easily pays above 5k (even for back office, but not all BBs). Strategy& entry level already 6k+. IBD analyst around 5 figures too. Please stop living in your dream world saying that no one earns above 4k. Maybe its for your industry, but not for Law/Finance/Tech..

Unregistered 17-09-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145748)
Lol you guys are fools.. it is a well known fact amongst finance students that a bulge bracket bank easily pays above 5k (even for back office, but not all BBs). Strategy& entry level already 6k+. IBD analyst around 5 figures too. Please stop living in your dream world saying that no one earns above 4k. Maybe its for your industry, but not for Law/Finance/Tech..

actually, everyone knows that. i also know specific numbers, but question is, are you the guy earning 5 figures in IBD? No, right? Don't be lame ah, this is a thread for those graduating in 2021... there's no need to pwn them with salaries.

Unregistered 17-09-2020 10:24 AM

Yeap I am graduating in 2021 and got a return offer from a BB lol. I'm just trying to tell the rest who are vehemently denying that there is NO WAY a fresh grad can earn >4k that it is possible. Are you one of them? LOLOL

Unregistered 17-09-2020 11:09 AM

Or maybe just stop being an asshole? It's great that your salary is that high, but some people in this forum are real people asking for real advice, and they are trying their best. Help if you can, otherwise silence is golden

Unregistered 17-09-2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145751)
Yeap I am graduating in 2021 and got a return offer from a BB lol. I'm just trying to tell the rest who are vehemently denying that there is NO WAY a fresh grad can earn >4k that it is possible. Are you one of them? LOLOL

Of course it is possible. But how many people can expect to command above 4k post-covid? As you've already mentioned, you got converted & you are not recruiting FT for 2021.

P.S. I got a return from a BB too.

Unregistered 17-09-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145706)

That's not really true... the starting pay for NQ at the bigger firms (big4, dentons, some top-tier mid size) was at least $5k pre-COVID and i heard most still offer at least $5k now. given the number of people they hire its definitely at least 20-30% of law grads...

Unregistered 17-09-2020 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145762)
That's not really true... the starting pay for NQ at the bigger firms (big4, dentons, some top-tier mid size) was at least $5k pre-COVID and i heard most still offer at least $5k now. given the number of people they hire its definitely at least 20-30% of law grads...

20-30% of law grads = what % of the total uni graduate pool? -.-

Unregistered 17-09-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145764)
20-30% of law grads = what % of the total uni graduate pool? -.-

Just don't feed the trolls... nobody is saying that their claims are wrong, but that's not what this thread is about. So please just focus on the right things

Unregistered 17-09-2020 03:45 PM

Quote:

Under the cloak of anonymity, we have two calibre of retards on opposite ends. One that’s delusional with their “my friends are drawing XXXX” and the other being “2.5K blabla stay hungry”.

I can attest that no one in this thread (Including me uwuu) is earning more than 4K on their first job after undergrad. The wannabe law guy above probably still lives with his parents and is still looking for a job.

Exactly, in this day and age where traineeship pay is up to 2.5k, which employer will pay more than this.... 2.2k to 2.5k is reasonable in my opinion. As least work first.

Unregistered 17-09-2020 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145774)
Exactly, in this day and age where traineeship pay is up to 2.5k, which employer will pay more than this.... 2.2k to 2.5k is reasonable in my opinion. As least work first.

Yea kinda agree.

Fresh grad here 2.6k Mech Eng.
After deducting cpf, give parents 1.2k, food 300, transport 100, still living comfortably with few hundred bucks for savings

COVID-19 17-09-2020 11:52 PM

The salary that is offered to a fresh grad says a lot more about the standard of the company than the Individual's capability.
A stingy company pays $2600 (Min pay to avoid paying OT) for all fresh hires. An MNC/stat board standardises pay at $4-5k for all fresh hires. Cannot say that all the 30 people hired in one batch is the same, confirm there will be more high-flying ones like one was from Ivy League vs Another from local u with second lower.

When i graduated In 2016, I applied to a few different jobs in the same role (non-sales), the difference can be huge. A job with in the public sector is almost double that of a small accounting firm (less than 50 total headcount).

Confirm+chop that acct firm, never raise its salary for fresh hires in 4 years, now got covid even better, can lower to $2500.

Unregistered 18-09-2020 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145756)
Of course it is possible. But how many people can expect to command above 4k post-covid? As you've already mentioned, you got converted & you are not recruiting FT for 2021.

Exactly, don't be an asshole. I work in Finance. Many of you fresh grads can't even make it beyond a year or two, and yet come in on your first day all decked out in fancy suits and cuff links...

Come on man.

The same goes for law... Maybe a handful is still in the profession from the friends I know.

Unregistered 18-09-2020 10:06 AM

You must be a back office goon

Unregistered 18-09-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145814)
You must be a back office goon

Even if he is, still beats being unemployed

Unregistered 18-09-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COVID-19 (Post 145805)
The salary that is offered to a fresh grad says a lot more about the standard of the company than the Individual's capability.
A stingy company pays $2600 (Min pay to avoid paying OT) for all fresh hires. An MNC/stat board standardises pay at $4-5k for all fresh hires. Cannot say that all the 30 people hired in one batch is the same, confirm there will be more high-flying ones like one was from Ivy League vs Another from local u with second lower.

When i graduated In 2016, I applied to a few different jobs in the same role (non-sales), the difference can be huge. A job with in the public sector is almost double that of a small accounting firm (less than 50 total headcount).

Confirm+chop that acct firm, never raise its salary for fresh hires in 4 years, now got covid even better, can lower to $2500.

Fair enough, but first job should be about what you can learn and many will attest that private companies, especially SMEs, will allow you to pick up more skills and learn. Pay is not everything.

Unregistered 21-09-2020 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145817)
Fair enough, but first job should be about what you can learn and many will attest that private companies, especially SMEs, will allow you to pick up more skills and learn. Pay is not everything.

The kind of company that says pay is not everything is also the kind that will only pay you 3% increase from your previous salary if you are not a fresh grad. Like that you rotate between SMEs until 40 years old your pay will never break 5k.

Unregistered 21-09-2020 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145756)

There is a thread on this forum about the compilation of MA salaries. More than 3/4 of that list is above 4k. If you are a respectable MNC, COVID won't affect u as much, the number of top tier students hired by these MNCs or banks for 2021 will be the same as 2019 and 2020.

The people who see their pay go down in 2021 are those who would end up in SMEs even in non-COVID to begin with (pay drop from 2.8k to 2.5). Because in COVID, the SMEs are the one who are impacted the most.

Unregistered 21-09-2020 03:31 AM

2.2k for fresh grad?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145774)

Kaplan students mix with Kaplan students, the whole bunch of them get offered 2.2k to 2.5k, they think this is industry standard.

Local Uni second lower make friends with other second lower, they get offers from 2.8k to 3k, they all think this is also normal.

Double degree first class ask their fellow double degree classmates the salary offered when they secure a job, the average answer is 5.5k, they also think no fresh grad job exists paying below 4k.

When ppl say 2.2k to 2.5k is normal for fresh grad, it's very easy to know where they study and what CAP they get la hor...