Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How much to ask for starting pay for those graduating in 2021? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/13032-how-much-ask-starting-pay-those-graduating-2021-a.html)

jackcrypto 11-09-2020 11:11 AM

How much to ask for starting pay for those graduating in 2021?

Local uni, expected 2nd upper - Business course

Unregistered 11-09-2020 12:28 PM

About $2800 will be reasonable given that the SGunited jobs pay $2500.

Unregistered 11-09-2020 12:30 PM

Not first class? Probably 2.5k to match with the traineeships

Unregistered 11-09-2020 03:38 PM

If it's a serious question, tell us what role at least?

goaswind 11-09-2020 04:40 PM

$2500 will be damn sad. It's the same price as 10-15 years ago.

Unregistered 11-09-2020 05:52 PM

If avg traineeship pay 2.5k means u should also expect 2.5k dont care if u what upper or lower nonsense

Unregistered 12-09-2020 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackcrypto (Post 145337)

If you get into graduate schemes, the pay is more or less fixed with no negotiations necessary.

Else, it’s always reasonable to bargain for $3,125/month as the bare minimum you would go as a fresh grad regardless of which industry you break into. Reason? Traineeships offer an allowance of $2,500, it would be irrational to take up an offer lower than the readily available alternative.

Time may seem bleak but you’ll get a job eventually. :)
I’m a local uni fresh grad too.

Unregistered 12-09-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145390)
If you get into graduate schemes, the pay is more or less fixed with no negotiations necessary.

Else, it’s always reasonable to bargain for $3,125/month as the bare minimum you would go as a fresh grad regardless of which industry you break into. Reason? Traineeships offer an allowance of $2,500, it would be irrational to take up an offer lower than the readily available alternative.

Time may seem bleak but you’ll get a job eventually. :)
I’m a local uni fresh grad too.

Is $3125 too much to ask of from a SME? Remember the SME boss who complained about the 7 job seekers? Why can't we learn from the learned boss and manage our expectations?

Unregistered 12-09-2020 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145401)
Is $3125 too much to ask of from a SME? Remember the SME boss who complained about the 7 job seekers? Why can't we learn from the learned boss and manage our expectations?

Yes 3125 is too much, totally agree. Fresh grads need to learn that they have no experience and no bargaining power. $2500 is absolutely reasonable and an appropriate amount to show potential bosses that they are hungry and willing to work hard. #stayhungry

jackcrypto 12-09-2020 12:47 PM

3.1k so low? GES median is at least 3.5k. those graduate programs salary got cut this year too?

Unregistered 12-09-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackcrypto (Post 145409)
3.1k so low? GES median is at least 3.5k. those graduate programs salary got cut this year too?

Take GES numbers with a pinch of salt.

There are many that won't tell the truth, or blow up numbers to make their school look like it should command a higher salary.

You will also be competing with people doing traineeships, what makes you think you can command a higher salary than them?

Face it, anything than the top graduates after 2020 will have it really hard.

Unregistered 12-09-2020 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jackcrypto (Post 145337)

Go for those reputed companies if you want higher starting pay.

My HR sent me few resumes of local grads that state expected salaries of 2.5k and below for interviewing. Think there are alot of ppl looking for jobs.

Unregistered 12-09-2020 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145375)
If avg traineeship pay 2.5k means u should also expect 2.5k dont care if u what upper or lower nonsense

If that company can only afford to pay traineeship salary, your first concern should be whether the company is gonna collapse or not. Besides govt sector, a company only offering traineeship speaks volumes about the boss, probably another stingy SME lowballing locals even before COVID.

Unregistered 12-09-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145401)

This is exactly why everyone siam SME unless they really bo bian... Pay peanuts get monkeys, pandemic or not, this won't change.

The real question we should be asking is if we want our local grads to rot under an SME that provides 0 growth or opportunities.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 10:21 AM

I see ignorant fresh grads posting here. SME contributes 50 percent of the GDP and hire 70 percent of the workforce. The employees (especially fresh grads) should be grateful to business owners who are capable to start a business and employ you guys. Without the SMEs, who is going to employ you all? You guys are just lucky that the good government stepped in to offer you all some protection. In a real world, 2K can get us a master/phd hirees with experience. Some still want to ask for 3K? My view is 2.5K is already a good enough salary. Stay hungry. Pls read and learn from the boss abt his interviewing experience with the 7 employees and learn some lessons from it.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 01:22 PM

Don’t listen to all these boomers.

Any offer below 3.2K (which is equivalent to a traineeship), it’s probably a shithole place of a job.

When all else fails, just swallow up your pride and join Big 4 audit. Even though the pay and working hours is bad, it still has way more growth opportunities than working in a pathetic SME that can’t even afford to pay you the market standards.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145462)
I see ignorant fresh grads posting here. SME contributes 50 percent of the GDP and hire 70 percent of the workforce. The employees (especially fresh grads) should be grateful to business owners who are capable to start a business and employ you guys. Without the SMEs, who is going to employ you all? You guys are just lucky that the good government stepped in to offer you all some protection. In a real world, 2K can get us a master/phd hirees with experience. Some still want to ask for 3K? My view is 2.5K is already a good enough salary. Stay hungry. Pls read and learn from the boss abt his interviewing experience with the 7 employees and learn some lessons from it.

glad to be in the 30% of the workforce earning more than your pittance of an SME :)
"without SMEs, who is going to employ you all"? PLEASE. NOBODY WANTS TO WORK IN YOUR COMPANY OTHER THAN MALAYSIANS AND OTHER NEIGHBOURING COUNTRIES. FFS. this attitude is EXACTLY why SMEs remain SMEs and i choose to join a global firm and shun SMEs. talk so much about hunger. why not speak for yourselves - why is your company so poor and shitty that you have to whine about not being able to pay a decent wage? i don't see large companies scrimping on wages. REFLECT.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145480)
glad to be in the 30% of the workforce earning more than your pittance of an SME :)
"without SMEs, who is going to employ you all"? PLEASE. NOBODY WANTS TO WORK IN YOUR COMPANY OTHER THAN MALAYSIANS AND OTHER NEIGHBOURING COUNTRIES. FFS. this attitude is EXACTLY why SMEs remain SMEs and i choose to join a global firm and shun SMEs. talk so much about hunger. why not speak for yourselves - why is your company so poor and shitty that you have to whine about not being able to pay a decent wage? i don't see large companies scrimping on wages. REFLECT.

Not hungry enough. Pls read up on what the learned entrepreneur had to say about the attitude of the 7 local employees he had to interview. The younger generation is leading a very sheltered lives, probably still living off the hardworking parents whom most likely are working hard with / for local SME entrepreneurs to create the very stable and conducive greenhouse environment that houses the strawberries. We need to be rugged to survive. As much as I respect and admire the good leadership for creating a conducive environment for locals, I hope they can expose our young to the hungry and innovative workforce out there. 3K for a fresh grad? I believe 3K can get us a few top IT talents from developing countries where the young are much hungrier. The younger generation should really buck up or I fear we will lose our competitiveness.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145486)
Not hungry enough. Pls read up on what the learned entrepreneur had to say about the attitude of the 7 local employees he had to interview. The younger generation is leading a very sheltered lives, probably still living off the hardworking parents whom most likely are working hard with / for local SME entrepreneurs to create the very stable and conducive greenhouse environment that houses the strawberries. We need to be rugged to survive. As much as I respect and admire the good leadership for creating a conducive environment for locals, I hope they can expose our young to the hungry and innovative workforce out there. 3K for a fresh grad? I believe 3K can get us a few top IT talents from developing countries where the young are much hungrier. The younger generation should really buck up or I fear we will lose our competitiveness.

I guess SMEs not hungry enough for local talent. You want get top IT talents from developing countries for 3k, then go ahead and try.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145478)
Don’t listen to all these boomers.

Any offer below 3.2K (which is equivalent to a traineeship), it’s probably a shithole place of a job.

When all else fails, just swallow up your pride and join Big 4 audit. Even though the pay and working hours is bad, it still has way more growth opportunities than working in a pathetic SME that can’t even afford to pay you the market standards.

Growth opportunities as an employee? If you were that enthusiastic about pursuing growth, you should start your own business like the many great / brave entrepreneurs out there. Because of these brave souls, 70 percent of the population can have a salary to look after their families. I encourage you to step out and be a leader/giver for our people rather than being a minion in a large MNC and complaining about our SMEs

Unregistered 13-09-2020 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145488)
Because of these brave souls, 70 percent of the population can have a salary to look after their families.

Are u sure 2.5k is a livable wage? SME bosses have a savior complex and are super entitled. They complain that employees not hardworking etc, what they need to realize is that the hardworking employees are the ambitious ones, and there is 0 way anyone with ambition wants to work in an SME. Hence by definition, the way SMEs price their salary will specifically attract only the lazier ones.

Before feeling entitled to some 8am to 9pm labour for 2.5k, ask yourself why would anyone choose an SME with **** conditions over MNC with 9am to 6pm hours for 4k. Then SMEs will realise they only get the "leftover people".

The one law of capitalism is that u get what u pay for. Doesn't matter if its an item or labour, pay cheap, expect to get low quality labour.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145492)
Are u sure 2.5k is a livable wage? SME bosses have a savior complex and are super entitled. They complain that employees not hardworking etc, what they need to realize is that the hardworking employees are the ambitious ones, and there is 0 way anyone with ambition wants to work in an SME. Hence by definition, the way SMEs price their salary will specifically attract only the lazier ones.

Before feeling entitled to some 8am to 9pm labour for 2.5k, ask yourself why would anyone choose an SME with **** conditions over MNC with 9am to 6pm hours for 4k. Then SMEs will realise they only get the "leftover people".

The one law of capitalism is that u get what u pay for. Doesn't matter if its an item or labour, pay cheap, expect to get low quality labour.

It just shows that the younger generation are not hungry enough. Did you know that so many young aspirational jobseekers from all over the world would be willing to settle for 2.5K job? They will even be willing to work on weekends to create success for the company. Bosses appreciate and reward them accordingly. What about our local youth? Looking for a 4K job and only willing to work from 9 to 6? Maybe you should start your own business and see how you feel when you meet this kind of jobseekers. Points back to the 7 interviewees story. Read up and learn from what the entrepreneur shared about it.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 07:03 PM

$2.5K is low. Just less than a year ago, fresh grads are getting $3.5k. I dont see how a few months of experience can justify the difference of $1k salary. They are probably going to get the same job done at the same level...
But aside to the fresh grad asking this qn, $2.5k is better than no job. For fresh grads, experience is very important. Therefore, dont just go for any job. Choose a job that you see yourself in the long term, choose a job with many transferable skills. Good luck!

Unregistered 13-09-2020 09:03 PM

idiots still don't realise this is the post-covid labour market.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145506)

If covid can bring future starting pay to 2K plus, will it keep cost of living low and increase purchasing power for those not affected? Means cheaper new cars and condo, since less price competition as incoming batches will be earning substantially lower salary?

Unregistered 13-09-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145506)

precisely, and offering 2.5k is a sign the company will collapse during covid.

Unregistered 14-09-2020 02:29 AM

There are really really good SMEs out there that I’m willing to work for free like Omnistream, Otto Solutions or family offices in the AM field.

But honestly most of the SMEs and their technology illiterate upper management indeed have the backdated mindset of “seniority precedes skill” mindset. I once did clerical work for a small SME that deals with import and export of industrial wearables on a part-time basis.

All the manual data entry could honestly be streamlined. I once impressed the old aunties when I used NumPy to draw out financial statement data from EDGAR and performed visualizations with it.

Flexing aside, early this year (pre-COVID) the boss offered me a pathetic starting salary if I were to convert. I rejected it and was for about 4 months till I got into a graduate scheme with InfoSys. Not the best out there but it still beats working at that SME.

Point is.... to the freshers out there, know your skills and technical competencies, never shortchange yourself.

Unregistered 14-09-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145511)
precisely, and offering 2.5k is a sign the company will collapse during covid.

Please. They only offer 2.5k SGUNITEDshit to behkans.

Unregistered 14-09-2020 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145521)
There are really really good SMEs out there that I’m willing to work for free like Omnistream, Otto Solutions or family offices in the AM field.

But honestly most of the SMEs and their technology illiterate upper management indeed have the backdated mindset of “seniority precedes skill” mindset. I once did clerical work for a small SME that deals with import and export of industrial wearables on a part-time basis.

All the manual data entry could honestly be streamlined. I once impressed the old aunties when I used NumPy to draw out financial statement data from EDGAR and performed visualizations with it.

Flexing aside, early this year (pre-COVID) the boss offered me a pathetic starting salary if I were to convert. I rejected it and was for about 4 months till I got into a graduate scheme with InfoSys. Not the best out there but it still beats working at that SME.

Point is.... to the freshers out there, know your skills and technical competencies, never shortchange yourself.

The problem is, lousy grads acting like they deserve a decent grad's paycheck.

Unregistered 14-09-2020 04:48 PM

ST just reported the following. Is situation really that bad? Honestly none of the people I know are affected by Covid-19, mostly just staying at home rather than going to office and many are enjoying the extra time saved!

The number of employees placed on shorter work weeks or temporary layoffs rose to an unprecedented high of 81,720 in the second quarter, as firms battled the fallout from the Covid-19 pandemic.

Locals - that is, Singaporeans and permanent residents - formed the bulk of the 42,190 employees on short work weeks, while foreigners were the majority of the 43,720 on temporary layoffs.

The seasonally-adjusted unemployment rate for Singaporeans rose steadily over the quarter and reached 4.3 per cent in July, up from 4 per cent in June and 3.5 per cent in March.

MOM said it started collecting unemployment data monthly since April, and will release the figures monthly from here on, instead of quarterly, in an effort to better inform policy decisions.

The unemployment rate for locals rose to 4.1 per cent in July, up from 3.8 per cent in June and 3.3 per cent in March, while the overall unemployment rate - for locals and foreigners combined - rose to 3 per cent in July, up from 2.8 per cent in June and 2.4 per cent in March.

Unregistered 14-09-2020 05:08 PM

For $2.2k, I can hire a masters graduate with 7 years work exp.

If you are fresh grad with 2nd upper, I think $1.5k will be a good offer.

Unregistered 14-09-2020 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145557)
For $2.2k, I can hire a masters graduate with 7 years work exp.

If you are fresh grad with 2nd upper, I think $1.5k will be a good offer.

Boss, can we have your company's HR email address?

Would like to send my resume over. I am good with 1.5K and even lower!

As a fresh graduate, we need to stay hungry!

#yaogui
#stayhungry

Unregistered 14-09-2020 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145553)
Please. They only offer 2.5k SGUNITEDshit to behkans.

no worries. companies will offer above 2.6k to avoid paying OT.

2601 at the minimum!

Unregistered 15-09-2020 03:35 PM

Nowadays, $2.5k considered very high already for FCH Fresh Grad. Be grateful!

Unregistered 15-09-2020 09:10 PM

Fresh graduate salary

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145604)
Nowadays, $2.5k considered very high already for FCH Fresh Grad. Be grateful!

My fren from suss PT engineering got FCH, asking for $3.5k-$4k salary...

Traineeships he hiam salary too low...

Unregistered 16-09-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145563)
Boss, can we have your company's HR email address?

Would like to send my resume over. I am good with 1.5K and even lower!

As a fresh graduate, we need to stay hungry!

#yaogui
#stayhungry

Good attitude. We need more employees like you. Always remember to be cheaper, better, faster.

Unregistered 16-09-2020 11:00 AM

Last year my SME boss gave himself new BMW and buy additional condo but give us rank-and-file serfs 0.5% inflation increment. Feel so happy for him that I tell all my friends his achievements and bonuses are like mine since we helped him achieve it, just like I feel very rich when our country’s GDP growth go up.

This year covid so I mortgaged HDB to give back to my company and took no pay from the start of the Circuit Breaker to today. Young people these days should put country and company before self and not be so selfish if we want to rise above this economic slump. Touch your heart and don’t be so selfish. ‘Knowing your worth’ is just another way of saying that you are selfish. Remember, if boss buys new condo and can afford to give you raise, you must reward him with OT every day.

Needless to say our SME doesn’t believe in paying for trainee/internships because freshers will have nothing of value to contribute so they should be grateful that we even give them this opportunity.

Unregistered 16-09-2020 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145638)
Good attitude. We need more employees like you. Always remember to be cheaper, better, faster.

Thanks Boss. What's your company email address? I won't mind also if your company is just using free gmail accounts for work :)

#yaogui
#hungriest
#freshie

Unregistered 16-09-2020 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145642)
Last year my SME boss gave himself new BMW and buy additional condo but give us rank-and-file serfs 0.5% inflation increment. Feel so happy for him that I tell all my friends his achievements and bonuses are like mine since we helped him achieve it, just like I feel very rich when our country’s GDP growth go up.

This year covid so I mortgaged HDB to give back to my company and took no pay from the start of the Circuit Breaker to today. Young people these days should put country and company before self and not be so selfish if we want to rise above this economic slump. Touch your heart and don’t be so selfish. ‘Knowing your worth’ is just another way of saying that you are selfish. Remember, if boss buys new condo and can afford to give you raise, you must reward him with OT every day.

Needless to say our SME doesn’t believe in paying for trainee/internships because freshers will have nothing of value to contribute so they should be grateful that we even give them this opportunity.

Good job! You sure have a "helicopter view". You deserve a pat and title promotion (but no pay increment bcos of covid). You are the the supervisors of rest of the lower life folks in the company. Be grateful and thankful for a boss like me.

Unregistered 16-09-2020 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145642)

Model employee. Bravo!