Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Summer Internships 2020 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12529-summer-internships-2020-a.html)

Unregistered 02-04-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131643)
Must be a millenial. I get it you're at the stage where your next focus on internship. Then work life.

Just rmemebrr this. When you are working already senior. Your attitude towards intern will also be aligned with boomers.

Intern can't do ****.
They are not paid enough to do real ****.
Even if we get superb qualified intern... They don't have the clearance. Or we can't share trade secret with intern.
Even if we can give them everything. High pay. Good mentor. Learning opportunities. Trade secret. Security clearance. Design decrets. Best practise..

The fact remains they are still just intern. Aka they will leave after 6 months.

So why. Bother. When we need resource to work. We get intern who can't do **** and we have to waste our existing resource to entertain them.

There are many great companies that value their interns, train them well and convert them to become future employees after they graduate. What a waste it is for interns to join your **** company and be treated like trash.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Must be a millenial. I get it you're at the stage where your next focus on internship. Then work life.

Just rmemebrr this. When you are working already senior. Your attitude towards intern will also be aligned with boomers.

Intern can't do ****.
Even if we get superb qualified intern... They don't have the clearance. Or we can't share trade secret with intern.
Even if we can give them everything. High pay. Good mentor. Learning opportunities. Trade secret. Security clearance. Design decrets. Best practise..

The fact remains they are still just intern. Aka they will leave after 6 months.

So why. Bother. When we need resource to work. We get intern who can't do **** and we have to waste our existing resource to entertain them.

maybe it's just your company?

i am a millennial. i interned at one of the global banks.

the intern pay was 5.5k (fulltime 8k). they valued my contributions. i was hard working. i put in the extra hours to learn, absorb, and contribute all i could. guess what, i got converted for the full time role.

so don't blame it on millennials.

sometimes, you gotta reflect and ask yourself, what kind of interns are you hiring? what kind of students WANT to join your firm? are all interns bad, or only those in your company?

then you have your answer.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Intern can't do ****.

the intern pay was 5.5k (fulltime 8k). they valued my contributions. i was hardworking. i put in the extra hours to learn, absorb, and contribute all i could. guess what, i got converted for the full time role.

so, don't blame it on millennials.

sometimes, you gotta reflect and ask yourself, what kind of interns are you hiring? what kind of students WANT to join your firm? are all interns bad, or only those in your company?

then maybe you'll have your answer.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Intern can't do ****.

then you have your answer.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:25 PM

exactly what the above poster said.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:25 PM

the intern pay was 5.5k (fulltime 8k). they valued my contributions. i was hardworking. i put in the extra hours to learn, absorb, and contribute all i could. guess what, i got converted for the full time role.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131663)

Sure 5.5k internship show me proof la.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131668)
Sure 5.5k internship show me proof la.

i know the amount sounds high but it is true. i can prove it but I don't know how to prove it here so I managed to find an article:

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/interns-in-singapore-can-get-up-to-5k-monthly-data-shows

5k is not the highest, there are those who earn even more.

no doubt these are just a handful, but they do exist.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131671)
i know the amount sounds high but it is true. i can prove it but I don't know how to prove it here so I managed to find an article:

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/interns-in-singapore-can-get-up-to-5k-monthly-data-shows

5k is not the highest, there are those who earn even more.

no doubt these are just a handful, but they do exist.

Lol this guy has been clearly living under a rock. And yes 5k ain’t even the highest I’ve had friends who made 10k a month

Unregistered 03-04-2020 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131672)
Lol this guy has been clearly living under a rock. And yes 5k ain’t even the highest I’ve had friends who made 10k a month

Yeah exactly. I know there are trolls everywhere but this is a reported fact and everyone who has been in uni in the last few years will know this.