Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Summer Internships 2020 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/12529-summer-internships-2020-a.html)

TS999 31-03-2020 04:14 PM

Summer Internships 2020

Starting this thread to hear from everyone about how summer internships are conducted this year by various firms. Just got the news from the company I am supposed to work with that they are cutting short their internship duration and making it fully virtual.

How are the rest affected by the current situation? Are the big companies in banking/Tech/consulting etc. making any drastic changes too?

Unregistered 31-03-2020 04:21 PM

heard quite a number of offers got rescinded

Unregistered 31-03-2020 04:44 PM

Standard Chartered Bank cut 20% of their full time offers for the International Graduate Programme. I wasn't affected but I know a few who were.

Unregistered 31-03-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131351)
Standard Chartered Bank cut 20% of their full time offers for the International Graduate Programme. I wasn't affected but I know a few who were.

Cut or rescind after covid situation?

Unregistered 31-03-2020 05:22 PM

Any idea if SCB summer interns are affected too?

Unregistered 31-03-2020 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131358)
Cut or rescind after covid situation?

Rescinded. Due to hiring freeze, some departments restructured. No longer need graduates.

Unregistered 31-03-2020 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131360)
Any idea if SCB summer interns are affected too?

Sorry I don't know about the interns but best for you to check with HR

Unregistered 31-03-2020 08:07 PM

Internship is kinda a joke la.

My company Engineering always joke about "boss, we don't have enough staff le, everyday overtime. can hire more anot?"

boss will EVERYTIME say "i will hire intern for you"

and we will always "INTERN CANNOT DO WORK ONE"

boss will reply EVERYTIME "HIRE INTERN TO MAKE COFFEE FOR U LA"

Now salary freeze. bonus also cut. why need to share the $ with coffee bois or girls.. So no internship liao. we don't need... we rather go kopitiam during work hours to tabao coffee. take turn do for team

Unregistered 31-03-2020 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TS999 (Post 131338)
Starting this thread to hear from everyone about how summer internships are conducted this year by various firms. Just got the news from the company I am supposed to work with that they are cutting short their internship duration and making it fully virtual.

How are the rest affected by the current situation? Are the big companies in banking/Tech/consulting etc. making any drastic changes too?

Can share what industry is this? Is it an MNC?

TS999 31-03-2020 09:31 PM

MNC in payments industry

Unregistered 31-03-2020 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TS999 (Post 131387)
MNC in payments industry

Sounds like mastercard

Unregistered 31-03-2020 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131388)
Sounds like mastercard

maybe Visa/AmEx also?

Unregistered 02-04-2020 11:38 AM

Just got two automated emails from Grab regarding my summer internship applications.

"We appreciate the time you have taken for your application. Grab has closed the position that you have expressed interest in. Therefore, this position is now closed."

Does this sound like they've cancelled their summer internship positions? Or simply that I was rejected? 😕

Unregistered 02-04-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131375)
Internship is kinda a joke la.

My company Engineering always joke about "boss, we don't have enough staff le, everyday overtime. can hire more anot?"

boss will EVERYTIME say "i will hire intern for you"

and we will always "INTERN CANNOT DO WORK ONE"

boss will reply EVERYTIME "HIRE INTERN TO MAKE COFFEE FOR U LA"

Now salary freeze. bonus also cut. why need to share the $ with coffee bois or girls.. So no internship liao. we don't need... we rather go kopitiam during work hours to tabao coffee. take turn do for team

that is because you work in a **** company.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131616)
that is because you work in a **** company.

Sorry lo. I also dunno why our **** company every year invite internship.
The interns all come late. Long lunch. Some even leave early. They say they only 600 to 800. So why need to work

That's the reality all this intern just come to punch in attendance only.
We also cannot get them to do anything. Design circuit? Don't know. Test material. Screw up mess up the testing. Senior have to overtime redo.

Ask do admin power point paper work. Process. They say they not secretary.

So coffee boy lo. Since they like to take breaks so much. Let them go outside walk to kopitiam to buy coffee. They love it.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131618)
The interns all come late. Long lunch. Some even leave early. They say they only 600 to 800. So why need to work

We also cannot get them to do anything. Design circuit? Don't know. Test material. Screw up mess up the testing. Senior have to overtime redo.

So coffee boy lo. Since they like to take breaks so much. Let them go outside walk to kopitiam to buy coffee. They love it.

okay boomer

Unregistered 02-04-2020 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131618)

What a shitty company

Unregistered 02-04-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131614)
Just got two automated emails from Grab regarding my summer internship applications.

"We appreciate the time you have taken for your application. Grab has closed the position that you have expressed interest in. Therefore, this position is now closed."

Does this sound like they've cancelled their summer internship positions? Or simply that I was rejected? 😕

sounds like the position is no more to me

Unregistered 02-04-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131614)

it means that they have closed the particular position that you applied for.

it could be that they hired someone and hence it's closed, or perhaps they decided to freeze hiring due to economic conditions. you'll never know. but time to move on!

Unregistered 02-04-2020 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131622)
What a shitty company

Must be a millenial. I get it you're at the stage where your next focus on internship. Then work life.

Just rmemebrr this. When you are working already senior. Your attitude towards intern will also be aligned with boomers.

Intern can't do ****.
They are not paid enough to do real ****.
Even if we get superb qualified intern... They don't have the clearance. Or we can't share trade secret with intern.
Even if we can give them everything. High pay. Good mentor. Learning opportunities. Trade secret. Security clearance. Design decrets. Best practise..

The fact remains they are still just intern. Aka they will leave after 6 months.

So why. Bother. When we need resource to work. We get intern who can't do **** and we have to waste our existing resource to entertain them.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131643)
Must be a millenial. I get it you're at the stage where your next focus on internship. Then work life.

Just rmemebrr this. When you are working already senior. Your attitude towards intern will also be aligned with boomers.

Intern can't do ****.
Even if we get superb qualified intern... They don't have the clearance. Or we can't share trade secret with intern.
Even if we can give them everything. High pay. Good mentor. Learning opportunities. Trade secret. Security clearance. Design decrets. Best practise..

The fact remains they are still just intern. Aka they will leave after 6 months.

So why. Bother. When we need resource to work. We get intern who can't do **** and we have to waste our existing resource to entertain them.

There are many great companies that value their interns, train them well and convert them to become future employees after they graduate. What a waste it is for interns to join your **** company and be treated like trash.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Intern can't do ****.

maybe it's just your company?

i am a millennial. i interned at one of the global banks.

the intern pay was 5.5k (fulltime 8k). they valued my contributions. i was hard working. i put in the extra hours to learn, absorb, and contribute all i could. guess what, i got converted for the full time role.

so don't blame it on millennials.

sometimes, you gotta reflect and ask yourself, what kind of interns are you hiring? what kind of students WANT to join your firm? are all interns bad, or only those in your company?

then you have your answer.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:23 PM

Quote:

Intern can't do ****.

the intern pay was 5.5k (fulltime 8k). they valued my contributions. i was hardworking. i put in the extra hours to learn, absorb, and contribute all i could. guess what, i got converted for the full time role.

so, don't blame it on millennials.

sometimes, you gotta reflect and ask yourself, what kind of interns are you hiring? what kind of students WANT to join your firm? are all interns bad, or only those in your company?

then maybe you'll have your answer.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Intern can't do ****.

then you have your answer.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:25 PM

exactly what the above poster said.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 06:25 PM

the intern pay was 5.5k (fulltime 8k). they valued my contributions. i was hardworking. i put in the extra hours to learn, absorb, and contribute all i could. guess what, i got converted for the full time role.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131663)

Sure 5.5k internship show me proof la.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131668)
Sure 5.5k internship show me proof la.

i know the amount sounds high but it is true. i can prove it but I don't know how to prove it here so I managed to find an article:

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/interns-in-singapore-can-get-up-to-5k-monthly-data-shows

5k is not the highest, there are those who earn even more.

no doubt these are just a handful, but they do exist.

Unregistered 02-04-2020 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131671)
i know the amount sounds high but it is true. i can prove it but I don't know how to prove it here so I managed to find an article:

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/interns-in-singapore-can-get-up-to-5k-monthly-data-shows

5k is not the highest, there are those who earn even more.

no doubt these are just a handful, but they do exist.

Lol this guy has been clearly living under a rock. And yes 5k ain’t even the highest I’ve had friends who made 10k a month

Unregistered 03-04-2020 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131672)
Lol this guy has been clearly living under a rock. And yes 5k ain’t even the highest I’ve had friends who made 10k a month

Yeah exactly. I know there are trolls everywhere but this is a reported fact and everyone who has been in uni in the last few years will know this.

Unregistered 03-04-2020 04:41 AM

Exactly. This is nothing new. All uni students know that these internship offers do exist. And it's also easy to verify on google. I know there are trolls everywhere in this forum but who's gonna lie about a 5k intern pay lol

Unregistered 03-04-2020 05:58 AM

The highest paid undergrad internships in Singapore fall under the SGInnovate Summation scheme which pays around 6,000 SGD per month.

I dare say no other summer stint will ever come close. Even bulge bracket summer analysts are only drawing 4,000 SGD. Please don’t delude the forum lurkers here. 10k per month... pui.

Unregistered 03-04-2020 07:09 AM

No wonder the fresh graduate all delusional come out demand senior pay with no experience..

That delusion starts even from internship level LOL.

Internship is only 600 to 1K range.

5k, we will rather hire an experience staff and pay him 4.5k which is already your fresh grad rate lo.

l

Unregistered 03-04-2020 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131693)
No wonder the fresh graduate all delusional come out demand senior pay with no experience..

5k, we will rather hire an experience staff and pay him 4.5k which is already your fresh grad rate lo.

l

The deluded one here is you.

I have friends drawing 7-12k at BB as IB Summer Analysts/Associates.

Pretty damn sure you wouldnt be able to handle the work there at even the intern level.

Unregistered 03-04-2020 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131693)

l

Honestly this response is just a bit sad to read LOL it comes from someone who has no grasp of the realities of his industry versus others (I'm assuming you don't work in finance, if not this would be even sadder).

5k ++ for interns happens in certain departments at many bulge bracket banks. This is just a fact. They also happen in some big tech companies, once again, for certain roles.

I doubt you are in a high-paying industry, or if you are then you are just a low performer if 4.5k is your notion of a fresh grad salary.

Unregistered 03-04-2020 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131711)
Honestly this response is just a bit sad to read LOL it comes from someone who has no grasp of the realities of his industry versus others (I'm assuming you don't work in finance, if not this would be even sadder).

5k ++ for interns happens in certain departments at many bulge bracket banks. This is just a fact. They also happen in some big tech companies, once again, for certain roles.

I doubt you are in a high-paying industry, or if you are then you are just a low performer if 4.5k is your notion of a fresh grad salary.

Yup, pretty sad that he is using his pathetic payscale as a yardstick. But low earners like him will probably get to keep his job in the current economic downturn. Good for him!

Unregistered 03-04-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131712)
Yup, pretty sad that he is using his pathetic payscale as a yardstick. But low earners like him will probably get to keep his job in the current economic downturn. Good for him!

Why do you need to be afraid of economic downturn. Your delusional fantasy won't disappear in the real world. Haha keep dreaming please. Stay jobless.

Unregistered 03-04-2020 02:33 PM

600-1k is just sad.

Banks pay much more than that. Like i said, these are probably the top 2% of each cohort.

Since your company is either not a bank or not a top firm, don't assume every company is like yours.

井底之蛙

Guest0000 03-04-2020 10:50 PM

I am just curious why brought up the case that your friend earned this or that much. Why not talk about yourself? No matter you are old bird or new bird, and no matter what you write here, only God knows if you are speaking the truth!

Unregistered 04-04-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guest0000 (Post 131727)
I am just curious why brought up the case that your friend earned this or that much. Why not talk about yourself? No matter you are old bird or new bird, and no matter what you write here, only God knows if you are speaking the truth!

I'm a corporate lawyer. I drew 2-3k a month as an intern which is substantial but not at the exceptional levels which some people here were discussing so I didnt raise my own experiences as an example.