Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Civil Service Performance Bonus (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1235-civil-service-performance-bonus.html)

Unregistered 17-03-2024 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271232)
someone checking in on you in terms of...?

from where i am, on my observations, there is a group of us where bosses will approach us for opinions and on work discussions, probably because we have some runway to grow and hit their positions.

i'm not sure if this counts as 'someone checking on you', because it is mainly on work, we are the 'go to' people to get things done, and there wasn't any formal discussions on career progressions, except for the appraisals.

What I was referring to was bosses checking in on those with Leadership Potential, e.g. is that person progressing at a good pace, are we giving him/her stretch goals/key projects.

The one piece of advice I can share is, be proactive (without being overbearing) about your ambitions with your bosses to put yourselves on their radar. If all goes well, opportunities will be given to you to prove yourself - then its up to you from there.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271243)
What I was referring to was bosses checking in on those with Leadership Potential, e.g. is that person progressing at a good pace, are we giving him/her stretch goals/key projects.

The one piece of advice I can share is, be proactive (without being overbearing) about your ambitions with your bosses to put yourselves on their radar. If all goes well, opportunities will be given to you to prove yourself - then its up to you from there.

This is not wrong. But there are still limitations for this. One being the slots above and the quota available for you. If you've been in service long enough, you will know that some of your superiors are stuck where they are because of this.

All of the above just gives your boss more "ammo" to write about you. But it does not guarantee any benefits, just increases your toto chance abit.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271246)
This is not wrong. But there are still limitations for this. One being the slots above and the quota available for you. If you've been in service long enough, you will know that some of your superiors are stuck where they are because of this.

All of the above just gives your boss more "ammo" to write about you. But it does not guarantee any benefits, just increases your toto chance abit.

My previous supervisor lied to me for 2 years about wanting to push me for a better grade. Melvin you are the absolute worst supervisor. It's our misfortune to have you here.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 04:58 PM

Remember, your bosses and supervisors got where they are by lying and pushing ppl under. They will have no problem promising their staff, this and that. In my many years of service, there are very few bosses and supervisors who truly develop you for higher grade or position. These are for the favourite of the bosses and supervisors. You will need to embark on your own project to get better grades e. Improve a work processes on your own ideas.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271253)
Remember, your bosses and supervisors got where they are by lying and pushing ppl under. They will have no problem promising their staff, this and that. In my many years of service, there are very few bosses and supervisors who truly develop you for higher grade or position. These are for the favourite of the bosses and supervisors. You will need to embark on your own project to get better grades e. Improve a work processes on your own ideas.

Wouldn't go so far. There are some good bosses. But they are very rare.

Your opinion has merits though. The bosses got there because they know how to play the game. How to get projects, take others down, gain visbility, rumor assassination etc. People whom are new to service are oblivious on how the game is played.

If they are not that close to their boss, they should immediately know that you can be thrown under the bus at any time. The only time you know is when your ranking grade comes out.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 08:07 PM

my career trajectory in public service

25-28yr old: 3years in private sector
29-30yr old: went overseas study 2yr masters
31yr old: joined statboard on contract but directly at MX11; Worked for 1.5yrs. Got a default C. Left to join private again.
32-33yrs old: worked in private tech MNC for 2yr. Very good experience and regret leaving. Hand itchy apply back public.
34yr old: rejoined public service on 2yrs contract. Worked for 1yr; Got a default C. Main reason was Dir didn’t liked me, and I transferred to another statboard
35yr old: joined another statboard and now been here for close to 1year. Just received news I got a C again. I’m still here; not emplaced yet. As it’s nearing 1yr mark, I will know soon? Or should I wait?

MX11
In total, 5.5yrs of private sector, and 3yrs in public sector.

Is my career trajectory in public service gone? Am I way better back in private?

Unregistered 17-03-2024 08:11 PM

There is still CEP for my Ministry. I have seen it before. It is in the form of an Excel spreadsheet. I saw one column showing MX11A, MX10, MX9 which is the estimated end point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271196)
There is no CEP. It evolved into Leadership Potential, a form of CEP that only tracks those with potential to be MX9 and higher.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271295)

31yr old: joined statboard on contract but directly at MX11; Worked for 1.5yrs. Got a default C. Left to join private again.
32-33yrs old: worked in private tech MNC for 2yr. Very good experience and regret leaving. Hand itchy apply back public.
34yr old: rejoined public service on 2yrs contract. Worked for 1yr; Got a default C. Main reason was Dir didn’t liked me, and I transferred to another statboard
35yr old: joined another statboard and now been here for close to 1year. Just received news I got a C again. I’m still here; not emplaced yet. As it’s nearing 1yr mark, I will know soon? Or should I wait?

MX11

Is my career trajectory in public service gone? Am I way better back in private?

What's the salary like?comfortable? Which do u prefer in terms of pace

Unregistered 17-03-2024 09:19 PM

Quote:

MX11

i'm not sure what are you expecting? default C is the usual case for new joiners. having 8.5 years experience in total doesn't equate to better than average grade, especially in your first year in a new statboard

Unregistered 17-03-2024 09:49 PM

Quote:

MX11

I think you will max out at 11A judging by your age. You are already almost at the period where you must move to 11A before going to 10.

The fact that you now have a history of Cs isn't very comforting that you will even hit MX10 in your lifetime.