Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Shopee fresh grad pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11930-shopee-fresh-grad-pay.html)

Unregistered 30-06-2022 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223981)
There is SDN which is very common these days. AI and ML are also a thing in networking too.

Errr your point is? Network engineers are very smart? You have to be very clever to understand SDN?

Are network engineers creating the AI/ML models? Or are the data scientist/software engineers the ones making the model and then getting the network engineers to press buttons only.

Don't know a single cs grad whose first choice is to be a network engineer.

Unregistered 30-06-2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224002)
Errr your point is? Network engineers are very smart? You have to be very clever to understand SDN?

Are network engineers creating the AI/ML models? Or are the data scientist/software engineers the ones making the model and then getting the network engineers to press buttons only.

i guess there is some departure in what people used to call a "network engineer" , mostly ppl imagine low level stuff working in server rooms, cabling etc.

but fundamentally all software engineers MUST have a good enough concept of networking in the real sense - as in the OSI model, and S protocols, the concept of ports, networks and subnets, DNS, TLS handshake, TCP/UDP etc. basically networking to SWE == how computers talk to each other. and make no mistake, this is absolutely fundamental. no SWE i know touch any cables or interact with any physical network but we all have these concepts.

and then u get to the cloud and u realize everything is networks all the way down. my point is any tech engineer worth their salt is gna have the basic concepts of networking.

Unregistered 30-06-2022 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224007)
i guess there is some departure in what people used to call a "network engineer" , mostly ppl imagine low level stuff working in server rooms, cabling etc.

but fundamentally all software engineers MUST have a good enough concept of networking in the real sense - as in the OSI model, and S protocols, the concept of ports, networks and subnets, DNS, TLS handshake, TCP/UDP etc. basically networking to SWE == how computers talk to each other. and make no mistake, this is absolutely fundamental. no SWE i know touch any cables or interact with any physical network but we all have these concepts.

and then u get to the cloud and u realize everything is networks all the way down. my point is any tech engineer worth their salt is gna have the basic concepts of networking.

Err ok.. so understanding network protocols is important. That's quite different from saying network engineers are smart. Knowing how flush toilet is super important (more important than networking). Does that make professional toilet flushers geniuses?

Unregistered 01-07-2022 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224002)

You don't know any cs grads whose first choice is to be a network engineer... And?

How is your anecdotal evidence relevant to anything at all.

You wanna act like a smart ass at least cover your own grounds first.

Unregistered 01-07-2022 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 223979)
Most of the average posters are rejects from local uni or went to ST eng for their first job what did you expect? Even a competent poly student can code better than an ST engineer.

Can all the ST engineers please identify themselves when they are posting so I don't need to read their posts

Unregistered 01-07-2022 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224007)

"worth their salt" lol u think people on this forum are worth their salt

Unregistered 01-07-2022 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 224071)
"worth their salt" lol u think people on this forum are worth their salt

by posting, aren't you "on this forum"? lol self-own.

Unregistered 13-07-2022 08:30 PM

so how is the townhall? any update?

Unregistered 13-07-2022 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 225276)
so how is the townhall? any update?

Simi townhall? Discuss what? How they failed to get into FAANG?

Unregistered 17-08-2022 12:57 PM

Lay off soon

I heard rumours overpaid tech juniors are getting axed soon due to company lost 1 billion...

Time of the overpaid techies is upon us.
Coupled with inflation....

Anyone can confirm?