Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   High Finance Thread (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11831-high-finance-thread.html)

Unregistered 11-06-2022 01:25 PM

Hey guys,

Wanted to check if a jump from a corporate strategy (M&A) role in an sg regional company to a high-paying PE or VC job is possible?

If so what's the best route? should I take a master's first or join the corporate VC in the same company as now? How many years of experience before I should consider jumping?

Thanks for the guidance in advance!

Unregistered 11-06-2022 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221374)
Hey guys,

Wanted to check if a jump from a corporate strategy (M&A) role in an sg regional company to a high-paying PE or VC job is possible?

If so what's the best route? should I take a master's first or join the corporate VC in the same company as now? How many years of experience before I should consider jumping?

Thanks for the guidance in advance!

Very possible. This would highly depend on the your corporate strategy role. If you are in large company where they really actively source potential investments and good dealflow, you can easily spin this to PE/VC route. More deal experience = easier.

That being said, don't expect to jump to Tier 1 PE/VC like KKR/Warburg/Openspace ventures, it might be a bit difficult since there are enough candidates from IB background looking to exit to this. Regional PE/VC is indeed very possible. MBA not necessary I'd say, but a good MBA may open up path to Tier 1 PE/VC.

Unregistered 12-06-2022 01:27 AM

hi, is transactional banking prestigious? i see many banks have them parked under investment bank.

Unregistered 12-06-2022 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221432)
hi, is transactional banking prestigious? i see many banks have them parked under investment bank.

No, it's similar to corp banking

Unregistered 12-06-2022 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221435)
No, it's similar to corp banking

Investment Banking > Corp Banking = Private Banking > Transactional Banking

Unregistered 12-06-2022 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221437)
Investment Banking > Corp Banking = Private Banking > Transactional Banking

Found the corp banking analyst!

PB is on par with WM, and other FO role. Corp banking is 100% definitely not equal to PB, unless you are a forp banking analyst and you're super delusional.

Corp banking is equal to transaction banking.

Unregistered 12-06-2022 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221501)
Found the corp banking analyst!

PB is on par with WM, and other FO role. Corp banking is 100% definitely not equal to PB, unless you are a forp banking analyst and you're super delusional.

Corp banking is equal to transaction banking.

Biggest load of bull. PB/WM is the same as FAs selling insurance, just more complex pdts. Look at the profiles of the people in PB/WM, some trash internships also can get in.

Investment Banking > Corporate Banking > PB > Transaction Banking

Unregistered 12-06-2022 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221536)
Biggest load of bull. PB/WM is the same as FAs selling insurance, just more complex pdts. Look at the profiles of the people in PB/WM, some trash internships also can get in.

Investment Banking > Corporate Banking > PB > Transaction Banking

why are transaction bankers fresh grad earning 10k per month then?? i oso tought not prestigious ley

Unregistered 12-06-2022 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221544)
why are transaction bankers fresh grad earning 10k per month then?? i oso tought not prestigious ley

lol fresh grads are earning max 5-6k per month. Source: friend from BAML transaction banking

and to the above, reason i put PB = corporate banking is because I was referring to the RMs. If you are in investment advisory, arguable PB > corporate banking; will agree with you.

Unregistered 12-06-2022 05:44 PM

Aiya argue so much for what. All the bankers from IB to WM are all looking to exit into buyside then all the buyside people looking to start their own fund. The race never ends