Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   High Finance Thread (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/11831-high-finance-thread.html)

Unregistered 10-06-2022 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221224)
I have 2 M&A firm experience, currently at a boutique but its not a feeder. Interviewed for 5-6 MM banks, all failed. As we all know you need to hit certain places to have a shot at BB, and seeing my peers get it is quite demoralizing. Thats why my current rate is only MM at best... I quite enjoy M&A, but imo IBD is NOT worth it unless its a EB/BB. After reading the comments I think I'll just press on and go big (or go home...) Thanks all.

Expand your list. You can increase your chances with a good buy-side internship too. That's what worked for me.

Unregistered 10-06-2022 12:27 PM

What is the proportion of investment bankers exiting to the buyside after a few years?

Unregistered 10-06-2022 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221235)
What is the proportion of investment bankers exiting to the buyside after a few years?

How the fk we know

Unregistered 10-06-2022 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221242)
How the fk we know

You don't know doesn't mean everyone else don't know. Don't speak for others.

I'm asking for anecdoctal evidence based on observations around an existing or ex-investment banker's settings, not your setting.

Unregistered 10-06-2022 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221252)
You don't know doesn't mean everyone else don't know. Don't speak for others.

I'm asking for anecdoctal evidence based on observations around an existing or ex-investment banker's settings, not your setting.

Hey man just ignore that troll. I'm a VP in one of the BBs, would say 70% of my analyst classes left for buy side or corp dev roles.

Unregistered 10-06-2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221260)
Hey man just ignore that troll. I'm a VP in one of the BBs, would say 70% of my analyst classes left for buy side or corp dev roles.

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. Interested to hear your motivation in staying within the sellside. Are the people who have left for buyside happy with their decision?

Unregistered 10-06-2022 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221270)
Thanks, that's what I'm looking for. Interested to hear your motivation in staying within the sellside. Are the people who have left for buyside happy with their decision?

Pay. And some people just enjoyed being a banker / hustler, plus that bit of self perceived feel good factor.

Obviously there are people who left and went back to sell side. But I think most people are quite happy to have left. My friend stopped sleeping in toilet cubicle, have better hours, and is still well paid.

The other thing to consider is private markets or public markets. I didn't start off in IBD and didn't start off in sell side. But I just can't see myself ever going into PE or sell side.

Unregistered 10-06-2022 10:05 PM

IB life nowadays are also much more bearable.. 2am nights are not the norm anymore

Would say about 12am - 1am..

And also protected weekend initiatives, although it might be ******** but they do honor it somewhat at the BB i'm from.

So i definitely get at least Friday night off and 1 weekend (on average, there are times when i get both weekends free also)

Unregistered 10-06-2022 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221260)

What's VP comp on BB nowadays? 500-800?

Unregistered 11-06-2022 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221315)
IB life nowadays are also much more bearable.. 2am nights are not the norm anymore

Would say about 12am - 1am..

And also protected weekend initiatives, although it might be ******** but they do honor it somewhat at the BB i'm from.

So i definitely get at least Friday night off and 1 weekend (on average, there are times when i get both weekends free also)

Who says...