Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Companies (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/)
-   -   ST Electronics (https://forums.salary.sg/companies/3060-st-electronics.html)

Unregistered 04-01-2021 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152534)
Don't need talent if you can outsource the work to subcontractors dear.
It's like... Why plant your own rice if you can buy from supplier, why cook the rice or hire world class chef of you can outsource to cheaper cooks.

We just provide the restaurant, customer the rest can outsource... That's how ST operates

Then better give outsource staff working in-house with better resources. It's ridiculous that only perm staff gets newer laptops or computers to the point even the management and admins have more powerful machines then developers.

Management still got the cheek to ask why the development teams so slow to compile source codes.

Unregistered 05-01-2021 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152559)
Then better give outsource staff working in-house with better resources. It's ridiculous that only perm staff gets newer laptops or computers to the point even the management and admins have more powerful machines then developers.

Management still got the cheek to ask why the development teams so slow to compile source codes.

Cause ST is not a software company. It's a project management company haha.

Anyway real story, we gave a fresh grad data scientist a powerful machine to help compute his algorithm.
Not fast enough. We bought a server for him. He say not portable.

He want to bring his own powerful laptop but it's not allowed cause security reasons..

It's hard to mkce forward for this company if alot of the practices are backward. Its only recently can bring phone with camera. Last time can't even bring phone with camera. Need to buy another cheaper lousier non camera phone for work.

But now every phone got camera so no choice.

Different company different style. Sme give desktop dial monikertor but have to come to work. WFH have to use own PC.
Other company got tech refresh every few 5 years. But those are bulks. In one other company I have experienced tech refresh twice. And alot of people are like "why new people get new laptop, old people stuck with old laptop"

And then there is ST. Won't upgrade until the old one cannot be used and become obsolete.
Don't have free money to waste to upgrade non essential.

Yes software people are non essential. Why? Cause can outsource to third party company to do the coding. ST just provide the consultantcy

Unregistered 05-01-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152596)

Anyway real story, we gave a fresh grad data scientist a powerful machine to help compute his algorithm.

He want to bring his own powerful laptop but it's not allowed cause security reasons..

It's hard to mkce forward for this company if alot of the practices are backward. Its only recently can bring phone with camera. Last time can't even bring phone with camera. Need to buy another cheaper lousier non camera phone for work.

Different company different style. Sme give desktop dial monikertor but have to come to work. WFH have to use own PC.
Other company got tech refresh every few 5 years. But those are bulks. In one other company I have experienced tech refresh twice. And alot of people are like "why new people get new laptop, old people stuck with old laptop"

And then there is ST. Won't upgrade until the old one cannot be used and become obsolete.

Yes software people are non essential. Why? Cause can outsource to third party company to do the coding. ST just provide the consultantcy

Excuse me, simi need to be portable? His laptop more powerful? You find me which university/company got "more powerful than server but as portable as laptop" PCs? More likely than not, your data not even portable. Anybody with an ounce of knowledge on computing at scale will call out your nonsense. Which data scientist will want to replace a compute cluster with his laptop?

You sound like a senior when you refer to that fresh grad. No wonder they might as well pay more for a fresh grad instead...

Unregistered 06-01-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152596)

If the management was willing to outsource, it would have solved the problem. But no, instead of outsourcing the easy way as you said, all they did was to pile more responsibilities with a cut in manpower.

Unregistered 06-01-2021 10:30 AM

ST is really an inflated title company.

The principal engineer I worked with (I'm from dsta) has changed his email title become director now.

I congratulated him and ask him who is his replacement as principal engineer now.
He say its still him. The title change means nothing lol.

And here I am... Thinking he promoted to director have a team of staff to direct now. But I still get to liase with him. Quite sad cause I'm still principal engineer in dsta. Maybe I should join ST and be director?

Unregistered 06-01-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152735)

The principal engineer I worked with (I'm from dsta) has changed his email title become director now.

I congratulated him and ask him who is his replacement as principal engineer now.

And here I am... Thinking he promoted to director have a team of staff to direct now. But I still get to liase with him. Quite sad cause I'm still principal engineer in dsta. Maybe I should join ST and be director?

Can confirm. Seems like some principal engineer / senior principal engineer now title changed to AVP or VP or director...

Doesn't seem to be any new senior principal engineer... Maybe they phasing out that role?

Tldr the management level title keep getting inflated and higher.
But the bottom one doesn't go up.

Seems like the bottom one now almost everyone is assistant principal engineer.
Onlh those outsource / fresh grad are project engineer. Senior engineer.

Quite sad

Unregistered 06-01-2021 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152735)

Hello there. Didn't know you are here. Let's catch up over coffee at your canteen someday.

Unregistered 06-01-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152738)
Hello there. Didn't know you are here. Let's catch up over coffee at your canteen someday.

Director eat with director la.
Small fry principal engineer cannot sit same table with director

Unregistered 06-01-2021 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152736)
Can confirm. Seems like some principal engineer / senior principal engineer now title changed to AVP or VP or director...

Doesn't seem to be any new senior principal engineer... Maybe they phasing out that role?

Tldr the management level title keep getting inflated and higher.
But the bottom one doesn't go up.

Seems like the bottom one now almost everyone is assistant principal engineer.
Onlh those outsource / fresh grad are project engineer. Senior engineer.

Quite sad

Very true. Actually in ST, staff grades are usually tagged to engineer rank. Principal Engineer is M2, Senior PE is M3 but senior managers and managers are M3 and M2 respectively.

So ironically, if a project needs a lead engineer, the M2/3 is the lead, but need manager, the M2/3 can also double as the manager for his own or other projects.

Unregistered 06-01-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 152738)

Director so free. Office hours surfing forums and commenting in forums. Use go DSTA for meeting as excuses then go meet people at canteen to catch up.

Typically management in ST. Complete retirement mode. Please wake up your idea and contribute to the company.