Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Really that bad for engineers? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/866-really-bad-engineers.html)

Unregistered 05-01-2013 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Female engineer (Post 32163)
Non-bank, revenue generating role ( front office).

Insurance or securities trading firm? Or some finance brokerage? Hedge fund or investment firm?

I presume non-bank means investment banks and retail banks are out.

Senior IT professional 05-01-2013 07:50 PM

EEE degree from UK
Worked in IT since grad

Starting pay $2.4K
Current pay $16K

Key to survival is keeping up to date on technology, strong selling and customer management skills

rubberbus 05-01-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Female engineer (Post 32160)
Hi,

While I was bonded, I requested to switch to a dept that had more relevance to Finance as I realized 3 years into my bond that I was not suited for the type of engineering jobs available in Singapore. Where I had studied in Europe, the technologies that I saw and helped develop were exciting and mentally challenging. Engineers are also much more highly regarded over there.

Once I made up my mind, I applied to only Finance jobs when my bond ended, and never gave up. It was not easy switching industries; I was already 30 when I completed my bond. When I left the stat board 2.5 years ago, my pay was 5k pm.

I had to eat humble pie at the new place. They did not cut my pay, but only matched it. Ppl younger than me were more senior than I was. I was 5 years older than the youngest recruit at my level. Many assumed I was just another pretty face ( to the poster above, being easy on the eye cuts both ways) and were condescending and made snide remarks. I persevered, worked hard, learnt what I could and believed in myself. The critics were eventually silenced. 2 appraisals later, my basic pay has gone up 50% so I guess I must be doing something right.

I do not regret choosing engineering. i've always loved Maths and Science and still do. The engineering education gives us an analytical and logical mind, which is useful across disciplines. We are also used to having to pick up things fast.

While I admit I do sometimes wonder what it could have been ( instead of taking up an overseas engineering scholarship, why not just do biz ad or something locally and get directly into the Finance sector sooner rather than later), I would like to think that the engineering education gave me the exposure( I come from a humble family background and my parents could never have sent me overseas). I would otherwise not have gotten, to deal with the challenges in my current job.

Since u are still studying I assume u are still young. Decide on what you want to do and go for it. Take up relevant courses or internships. Do not jump on the finance bandwagon because everyone else is, or because of some success stories from that sector. Technology does make the world a better place and we have engineers, amongst others, to thank for that. Make your choice for the right reasons.

Hope my experience helped. To each his own.

thank you, i will take my time and decide what i want to be.

Unregistered 05-01-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senior IT professional (Post 32165)
EEE degree from UK
Worked in IT since grad

Starting pay $2.4K
Current pay $16K

Key to survival is keeping up to date on technology, strong selling and customer management skills

Engineers on your pay scale are rare but finance professionals earning this much are commonplace.

Unregistered 06-01-2013 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Female engineer (Post 32163)
Non-bank, revenue generating role ( front office).

You are in a revenue generating role but not sales? Fund management or private equity?

Female engineer 06-01-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32173)
You are in a revenue generating role but not sales? Fund management or private equity?

That's correct.

Unregistered 08-01-2013 01:41 AM

didnt seem to see any post about managerial post? (Engineering, Manuf, Operations, etc)

anyone has any info to share?

I am curious how much does a MNC pays compared to a SME in the Oil and Gas industry..

I am in such a position now in SME and am just wondering if I am getting peanuts compared to MNC counterparts..

Unregistered 10-01-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32215)
didnt seem to see any post about managerial post? (Engineering, Manuf, Operations, etc)

anyone has any info to share?

I am curious how much does a MNC pays compared to a SME in the Oil and Gas industry..

I am in such a position now in SME and am just wondering if I am getting peanuts compared to MNC counterparts..

99% chance SME pays less than MNC.

But again depends on which MNC, german/japanese MNC dun pay super...

So its almost like sure lesser la, is by how much only.

Worst case scenario: local start up vs US MNC
or
long history local Small E vs US MNC

can be like more than 100% difference if you calculate the bonuses, perks, etc etc

and if you really want to know, you can start by posting your stats

Unregistered 10-01-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 32297)
99% chance SME pays less than MNC.

But again depends on which MNC, german/japanese MNC dun pay super...

So its almost like sure lesser la, is by how much only.

Worst case scenario: local start up vs US MNC
or
long history local Small E vs US MNC

can be like more than 100% difference if you calculate the bonuses, perks, etc etc

and if you really want to know, you can start by posting your stats

Well here is the status....

Early 40s
In 11 yr old sme, oil and gas
Manufacturing manager
Annual income including everything is abt 120k.
Interested to benchmark against companies like Halliburton, fmc, Cameron, vetco gray, Schlumberger type of business for similar positions..

Wondering if I am stuck in a small well for too long..
Seeking motivation to see what's out there..

Unregistered 10-01-2013 10:08 PM

Hi just sharing my personal experience for undergrad/fresh graduates as a project engineer in MNC. Just graduated not long ago from local uni and worked for close to a year with starting pay of 3K (no increment yet).

Personally feel that if you don't want to be desk bound then doing traditional project/service engineer roles are the best. You get a good mix between sitting in the office and traveling to site. 55% chance you will get to go overseas easily as well, depending on job requirement and your rate of learning things.

When project kicks off, most likely you will be stuck in office for very long hours purchasing components and doing circuit design. But later on likely to be mostly at customer site once going into execution phase.

Also in contrast to how some people stereotype engineers in the university, communication skills are extremely important. Both written and spoken communications skills are extremely important. Probably more so than in the finance industry. Yes being hardworking always helps and sometimes you need to spend a lot of time going over drawings and diagrams, but make one communication error with the customer and all those hardwork spent on the diagrams is going to go down the drain.