Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salary range for project manager (Oil & gas) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/861-salary-range-project-manager-oil-gas.html)

Unregistered 09-05-2013 09:47 PM

How much does a guy in Exxon mobil with 6yrs exp (since fresh grad, 1st job) earn now as operation support manager, ???

2nd lower degree, in 2007, starting pay ~3.2k at fresh grad

Tin 20-08-2013 09:36 PM

Graduate pm

Hi guys,
just wanted to ask few questions if you would not mind to help out little bit.
I got BSc in construction management and economics, msc in construction project management and in January I'm starting msc in oil and gas management.

What I would like to know is weather companies are employing graduate project managers ( in oil and gas) or you have to start of from management and gradually get to that position ?

I tried to find graduate jobs in oil and gas management but what is coming up is mainly enginering positions.

Also do you know what is the starting salary and how it works with bonuses. I'm currently in uk but will relocate where ever , preferably Australia .

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

Unregistered 20-08-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 36627)
How much does a guy in Exxon mobil with 6yrs exp (since fresh grad, 1st job) earn now as operation support manager, ???

2nd lower degree, in 2007, starting pay ~3.2k at fresh grad

i guess you can ask for at least $6-7k...not to mention the bonuses...

Unregistered 20-08-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin (Post 41465)
Hi guys,
I got BSc in construction management and economics, msc in construction project management and in January I'm starting msc in oil and gas management.

What I would like to know is weather companies are employing graduate project managers ( in oil and gas) or you have to start of from management and gradually get to that position ?

I tried to find graduate jobs in oil and gas management but what is coming up is mainly enginering positions.

Also do you know what is the starting salary and how it works with bonuses. I'm currently in uk but will relocate where ever , preferably Australia .

Thanks

No companies will hire a graduate for the position of PM even if you have a masters. You gotta start from scratch; usually from a project engineer or coordinator and with a few years of experience, say at least 5 years for small value projects, you can advance to be a PM.

Alternatively, you can start off as a engineer in a certain discipline because some companies do not like a graduate to start off straight in project management as they prefer a graduate to have some field / hands on / direct discipline experience before they will consider you for a project management role. Otherwise, if you do not have the technical experience and does not have the experience on the ground, it's really difficult for you to manage a project. PM need to have a combination of technical, commercial aptitude + strong interpersonal and communications skills.

Otherwise, you can join a graduate programme, management associate program and work your way there ?

Unregistered 21-08-2013 01:28 AM

Port

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41469)
No companies will hire a graduate for the position of PM even if you have a masters. You gotta start from scratch; usually from a project engineer or coordinator and with a few years of experience, say at least 5 years for small value projects, you can advance to be a PM.

Alternatively, you can start off as a engineer in a certain discipline because some companies do not like a graduate to start off straight in project management as they prefer a graduate to have some field / hands on / direct discipline experience before they will consider you for a project management role. Otherwise, if you do not have the technical experience and does not have the experience on the ground, it's really difficult for you to manage a project. PM need to have a combination of technical, commercial aptitude + strong interpersonal and communications skills.

Otherwise, you can join a graduate programme, management associate program and work your way there ?

Thank you for your reply.
Reason why I'm asking is I do not have experience with oil and gas but I was wondering weather it is similar like in construction industry where you can get position after graduating as " graduate project manager" ( that is the title or job description). You don't get to run the projects but you work with more senior members of team, contribute that little or as much as you can and learn.

I would not expect to be PM straight away after completing MSc as I'm well aware that you need experience for that, but weather " graduate project manager" positions are common or not.

Thanks again

By the way do you know about starting salaries?

Unregistered 21-08-2013 09:28 AM

I tried to turn a blind eye to your English in your initial post, but you apparently dont know the difference between weather and whether and repeated the mistake again. Who knows what else you might be confused with. Better brush up your English if you want to be in a managerial position especially if you have to deal with "Ang Mohs"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41473)
Thank you for your reply.
Reason why I'm asking is I do not have experience with oil and gas but I was wondering weather it is similar like in construction industry where you can get position after graduating as " graduate project manager" ( that is the title or job description). You don't get to run the projects but you work with more senior members of team, contribute that little or as much as you can and learn.

I would not expect to be PM straight away after completing MSc as I'm well aware that you need experience for that, but weather " graduate project manager" positions are common or not.

Thanks again

By the way do you know about starting salaries?

Unregistered 21-08-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41474)
I tried to turn a blind eye to your English in your initial post, but you apparently dont know the difference between weather and whether and repeated the mistake again. Who knows what else you might be confused with. Better brush up your English if you want to be in a managerial position especially if you have to deal with "Ang Mohs"

Dude really? Who said I'm confused?! I was asking for advice.
Another thing, English is not my first language, but I speak another 3 on top of that. I might have a dyslexia, but what I lack in writing I make up for in maths.
And as far as I know this forum is not spelling competition.

Unregistered 21-08-2013 07:47 PM

You have a bigger problem than I thought....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41489)
Dude really? Who said I'm confused?! I was asking for advice.
Another thing, English is not my first language, but I speak another 3 on top of that. I might have a dyslexia, but what I lack in writing I make up for in maths.
And as far as I know this forum is not spelling competition.

Unregistered 21-08-2013 08:06 PM

auralts reafon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 41495)
You have a bigger problem than I thought....

Sure. Thank you for sharing your " wisdom " with me.

Unregistered 22-08-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tin (Post 41465)
Hi guys,

Thanks

Are you sure you are working in UK now? Your command of English makes me highly doubt whatever you are saying. If you took your master in UK, would you kindly tell us the university? I will try to enroll in that school.