Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salary range for project manager (Oil & gas) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/861-salary-range-project-manager-oil-gas.html)

ariyalkye 09-04-2010 03:41 PM

Salary range for project manager (Oil & gas)

Hello,

I am a 26years old Malaysian currently unemployed, just moved to Singapore, and actively looking for a job as Project Engineer or Project Manager in Oil & gas Industry, in Singapore.

I graduated from The University of Nottingham with a 1st class honours in year 2005 (BEng Electornic & Communications) and have been working as a project engineer for a MNC back in Malaysia, majoring in Electrical field serving Oil & Gas, Petrochemicals, etc industries.. for the past 4 years since graduated. Last year I was promoted to Senior project engineer before I quit my job to move to Singapore for good.

I am going to attend a second interview as a Project Manager in similar industry, but I could not decide what is the reasonable salary range for such position with my years of experience, despite being a Malaysian. I am thinking about SGD4300/month. Is this too high or too low?

Would really appreciate if someone could help to advise here. Thanks in advance.

Unregistered 09-04-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariyalkye (Post 5655)
Hello,

I am a 26years old Malaysian currently unemployed, just moved to Singapore, and actively looking for a job as Project Engineer or Project Manager in Oil & gas Industry, in Singapore.

I graduated from The University of Nottingham with a 1st class honours in year 2005 (BEng Electornic & Communications) and have been working as a project engineer for a MNC back in Malaysia, majoring in Electrical field serving Oil & Gas, Petrochemicals, etc industries.. for the past 4 years since graduated. Last year I was promoted to Senior project engineer before I quit my job to move to Singapore for good.

I am going to attend a second interview as a Project Manager in similar industry, but I could not decide what is the reasonable salary range for such position with my years of experience, despite being a Malaysian. I am thinking about SGD4300/month. Is this too high or too low?

Would really appreciate if someone could help to advise here. Thanks in advance.

sorry FT are not preferred here!!!

Unregistered 09-04-2010 10:54 PM

My 2 cents worth. I am from the oil gas industry.

From what i am aware of, you should be asking the same as what you were getting in malaysia, not taking the currency exchange into account. So if you were getting 4k ringgit, ball park will be 4k SGD.

Kudos to you if you can get a project manager position with your age and experience esp with the MNC but i seriously doubt so. The average pay for a PM in say shell,exxon should be min 150k PA above. But those dudes have at least 20 freaking years with plenty of high profile projects under their belt.

btw, petrochemical and oil/gas are 2 different ball games. Big diff in pay scale. $4k will be able right for petrochemical.

Unregistered 09-04-2010 11:37 PM

PM in Oil & Gas? 15k pm.

Unregistered 09-04-2010 11:59 PM

minimum 10k

anything less...you should head back home!

Unregistered 10-04-2010 12:01 AM

and include housing allowance in your package as well.

You should be entitled to housing and living allowances.

Unregistered 10-04-2010 02:04 AM

car allowance too. How else will you be able to travel to work?

Make sure the package also comes with at least 3 months of leave entitlement so that you can go home to visit your friends.

ariyalkye 12-04-2010 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice! appreciate much as always

Unregistered 12-04-2010 04:53 PM

i am a junior PM in a oil/gas upstream com EPC.
31 years old.
120k PA

ariyalkye 12-04-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5674)
i am a junior PM in a oil/gas upstream com EPC.
31 years old.
120k PA

wow this is a lot!
Do you mind describing a bit of your job scope?
Do you have a team of project engineers to manage?

Because the PM job I mentioned - the job scope is almost similar to a project engineer: managing 5-6 system integration projects concurrently (system designing done by design engineers) for the EPCs / end-users, not required to manage a team engineers.

Due to the job scope is similar to project engineer's, and I have onle 4 years of similar experience, that's why I am asking only SGD4k-4.3k, and also I think the demand for Malaysian engineers is not that great at the moment?

Based on my background described, I don't think I am qualified for 10k a month.. I was told I am worth around 4k here in Singapore.. correct me if I am wrong, please

dropping by 12-04-2010 06:03 PM

Hello

You WERE that u're worth 4k SGD, that doesn't mean that you ARE worth that much/little here. The choice of whether much or little is ultimately up to you.

Assuming that engineers with 1-4 years of experience earn about 3-5K here... putting yourself at 4K is statistically fine. If you are satisfied with it, then accept it and that's that.

It doesn't matter whether u're a graduate from M'sia or S'pore. Ultimately, once you've started your job and proven work ethics and results right, your pay will increment based on performance. It's indeed the quality of the experience that u've earned up till now, as well as the quality of the projects that you've engaged in and how you present yourself at interviews that will decide if u're worth 4k, 4.5k, 5k, or whatever more...

Cheers

ariyalkye 12-04-2010 09:47 PM

sounds just right. thanks dropping by :)

Unregistered 24-04-2010 11:05 AM

I'm msian, working in SG as Project Secretary, oil and gas industry, getting 5-6k a month. :)
Good luck!

Unregistered 09-04-2011 01:10 PM

Technology Engineer

I'm a Technology Engineer in Oil and Gas 28yrs old, 105k p.a.

Unregistered 09-04-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11116)
I'm a Technology Engineer in Oil and Gas 28yrs old, 105k p.a.

you are in Exxon or Shell?

28 age mean you got 3 years Exp?

1. How much is your starting basic pay when you are fresh grad from university?

2. How much are you getting now basic/mth?

Ivanevan 18-08-2011 09:59 AM

Besides, working with gigantic oil and gas like SHELL or EXXON, how about local company in singapore serving oil and gas industry like SWIBER, EZRA and etc? anybody working there mind to share their salary as engineer or pm.

Thank you.

Unregistered 18-08-2011 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 11118)
you are in Exxon or Shell?

28 age mean you got 3 years Exp?

1. How much is your starting basic pay when you are fresh grad from university?

2. How much are you getting now basic/mth?

1. shell, 3200 basic

2. jump ship, currently 4800 basic + 1000 transport allowance + 6 month bonus

Unregistered 18-08-2011 05:55 PM

Upstream or downstream ? With supermajor, EPC or services now ? The bonus and benefit is good indeed. I'm just wondering which company is it.

Unregistered 12-09-2011 05:33 PM

oil & gas - exploration, consulation office base. malaysian. PR. 6K/month. 30 years old. Malaysia uni grade :D

title is engineer, job scope is like project manager. good in the sense to be less responsible, hidding under title of engineer with 6k.

Unregistered 12-09-2011 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 15561)
1. shell, 3200 basic

2. jump ship, currently 4800 basic + 1000 transport allowance + 6 month bonus

before jump ship, while still in SHELL, how much is your pay?

Unregistered 09-10-2011 03:23 PM

I second that oil/gas companies tends to be good paymasters. As my new boss said, they tie u down with 'golden handcuffs'.

Reason being is that just got a new job at Chevron after moving from a US software giant (non-engineering/techical position). I got a pay raise of abt 80% (from S$6xxx to S$11,xxx).

You shld be able to start to negotiate for at least S$6k instead. Of course u must be able to make a good argument for it...good luck!

jason 10-01-2012 12:51 PM

Salary

I am 33 year. $350K PM with oil and gas experience project size $50MM to $10MM.

Unregistered 10-01-2012 01:23 PM

Project Director, 35k monthly and 10-12 mth bonus in Exxon

Unregistered 11-01-2012 11:39 AM

Hi all, with just a diploma in engineering, what will the pay range be like if i join exxonmobil as a maintenance technicians?

Unregistered 12-01-2012 10:20 AM

Exxon fixed 3 months bonus for Singapore staff

As fas as I know, Exxon staff in Singapore get fixed 3 mths bonus of base pay - irregardless of good and bad times.

Unregistered 12-01-2012 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19687)
As fas as I know, Exxon staff in Singapore get fixed 3 mths bonus of base pay - irregardless of good and bad times.

Fixed pay is for rank and file. The CEO doesn't get fixed bonus.

Unregistered 18-01-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19666)
Hi all, with just a diploma in engineering, what will the pay range be like if i join exxonmobil as a maintenance technicians?

Typically $1800 basic + $1000 allowance.

Unregistered 18-01-2012 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19855)
Typically $1800 basic + $1000 allowance.

the pay is not fantastic but heard the bonus is quite good!! The bad thing is have to work rotating shift.. also if the engineer in charge make wrong judgement and cause explosion.. you will pay with an arm or a leg or your life.. while he just have to write a detail report.... Better to enter as a degree holder.. If you enter as just a diploma holder, you will that all your fellow technician colleagues are all banglah...

Unregistered 19-01-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19637)
Project Director, 35k monthly and 10-12 mth bonus in Exxon

Am seeking to learn and tap on your experience, could you share briely on what was your route and whether you have any advice for other project managers seeking to have the same achievment?

Unregistered 19-01-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19862)
Am seeking to learn and tap on your experience, could you share briely on what was your route and whether you have any advice for other project managers seeking to have the same achievment?

I dun feel like letting you tap on my experience.. you've gotta learn it the hard way, baby...

Unregistered 19-01-2012 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 19869)
I dun feel like letting you tap on my experience.. you've gotta learn it the hard way, baby...

Agree. all the malaysians in my company are wayang kings / queens.

No need to help FTs. U should get $0 in Singapore. Balek Kampung!

Malaysian 29-01-2012 12:06 PM

Please do not embarrass yourself by commenting on language you do not know. Balik kampung is how you spell it. :D

Unregistered 29-01-2012 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaysian (Post 20132)
Please do not embarrass yourself by commenting on language you do not know. Balik kampung is how you spell it. :D

go back to malaysia you douche. this is salary.sg not salary.my

Unregistered 29-01-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20136)
go back to malaysia you douche. this is salary.sg not salary.my

Malaysians are some of the best foreigners I've met.

It's one particular group that local PMETs hate.

Most other groups are here to take advantage of the lax government policies. Some of them actually take pity on us.

In case you wanna use GCT's retort ("who's gonna build your HDB flats"), I'm talking about white collar jobs here. I have no qualms about getting foreign labourers. Get this right!

Unregistered 30-01-2012 07:43 PM

hi all.

im offered a position of project management in a small local sme in the construction industry.

i have no prior experience and had 1 yr experience in research

i have a engineer degree from ntu..

would like to know wat salary should i ask for

Bean 30-01-2012 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20185)
hi all.

im offered a position of project management in a small local sme in the construction industry.

i have no prior experience and had 1 yr experience in research

i have a engineer degree from ntu..

would like to know wat salary should i ask for

since you said that you had been offered......so how much are they offering you at the 1st place?

Unregistered 31-01-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bean (Post 20186)
since you said that you had been offered......so how much are they offering you at the 1st place?

ok.. not say offered.

i have passed the interviews and now negotiating the salary. they ask me to tell me how much i wan by tmr and den we will negotiate abt it

Unregistered 31-01-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20196)
ok.. not say offered.

i have passed the interviews and now negotiating the salary. they ask me to tell me how much i wan by tmr and den we will negotiate abt it

Can ask for 4k.

Unregistered 01-02-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 20214)
Can ask for 4k.

Too high. I would say 2.7k is reasonable. They need to pay 2.8k min for a Burmese engineer, so 2.7k just undercuts that amount. Remember: cheaper, better, faster.

Unregistered 03-02-2012 03:57 PM

usually starting salary of engineer in oil and gas industry is about how much uh?