Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Salary range for project manager (Oil & gas) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/861-salary-range-project-manager-oil-gas.html)

ariyalkye 09-04-2010 03:41 PM

Salary range for project manager (Oil & gas)

Hello,

I am a 26years old Malaysian currently unemployed, just moved to Singapore, and actively looking for a job as Project Engineer or Project Manager in Oil & gas Industry, in Singapore.

I graduated from The University of Nottingham with a 1st class honours in year 2005 (BEng Electornic & Communications) and have been working as a project engineer for a MNC back in Malaysia, majoring in Electrical field serving Oil & Gas, Petrochemicals, etc industries.. for the past 4 years since graduated. Last year I was promoted to Senior project engineer before I quit my job to move to Singapore for good.

I am going to attend a second interview as a Project Manager in similar industry, but I could not decide what is the reasonable salary range for such position with my years of experience, despite being a Malaysian. I am thinking about SGD4300/month. Is this too high or too low?

Would really appreciate if someone could help to advise here. Thanks in advance.

Unregistered 09-04-2010 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariyalkye (Post 5655)
Hello,

I am a 26years old Malaysian currently unemployed, just moved to Singapore, and actively looking for a job as Project Engineer or Project Manager in Oil & gas Industry, in Singapore.

I graduated from The University of Nottingham with a 1st class honours in year 2005 (BEng Electornic & Communications) and have been working as a project engineer for a MNC back in Malaysia, majoring in Electrical field serving Oil & Gas, Petrochemicals, etc industries.. for the past 4 years since graduated. Last year I was promoted to Senior project engineer before I quit my job to move to Singapore for good.

I am going to attend a second interview as a Project Manager in similar industry, but I could not decide what is the reasonable salary range for such position with my years of experience, despite being a Malaysian. I am thinking about SGD4300/month. Is this too high or too low?

Would really appreciate if someone could help to advise here. Thanks in advance.

sorry FT are not preferred here!!!

Unregistered 09-04-2010 10:54 PM

My 2 cents worth. I am from the oil gas industry.

From what i am aware of, you should be asking the same as what you were getting in malaysia, not taking the currency exchange into account. So if you were getting 4k ringgit, ball park will be 4k SGD.

Kudos to you if you can get a project manager position with your age and experience esp with the MNC but i seriously doubt so. The average pay for a PM in say shell,exxon should be min 150k PA above. But those dudes have at least 20 freaking years with plenty of high profile projects under their belt.

btw, petrochemical and oil/gas are 2 different ball games. Big diff in pay scale. $4k will be able right for petrochemical.

Unregistered 09-04-2010 11:37 PM

PM in Oil & Gas? 15k pm.

Unregistered 09-04-2010 11:59 PM

minimum 10k

anything less...you should head back home!

Unregistered 10-04-2010 12:01 AM

and include housing allowance in your package as well.

You should be entitled to housing and living allowances.

Unregistered 10-04-2010 02:04 AM

car allowance too. How else will you be able to travel to work?

Make sure the package also comes with at least 3 months of leave entitlement so that you can go home to visit your friends.

ariyalkye 12-04-2010 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the advice! appreciate much as always

Unregistered 12-04-2010 04:53 PM

i am a junior PM in a oil/gas upstream com EPC.
31 years old.
120k PA

ariyalkye 12-04-2010 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 5674)
i am a junior PM in a oil/gas upstream com EPC.
31 years old.
120k PA

wow this is a lot!
Do you mind describing a bit of your job scope?
Do you have a team of project engineers to manage?

Because the PM job I mentioned - the job scope is almost similar to a project engineer: managing 5-6 system integration projects concurrently (system designing done by design engineers) for the EPCs / end-users, not required to manage a team engineers.

Due to the job scope is similar to project engineer's, and I have onle 4 years of similar experience, that's why I am asking only SGD4k-4.3k, and also I think the demand for Malaysian engineers is not that great at the moment?

Based on my background described, I don't think I am qualified for 10k a month.. I was told I am worth around 4k here in Singapore.. correct me if I am wrong, please