Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   How is life as a doctor in Singapore? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/793-how-life-doctor-singapore.html)

Unregistered 28-01-2022 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200108)
Firstly fam med is the best specialty.
With the highest pay.

So which si u choose doesn't matter
Coz even the lousiest fam med SI trumps the best non fam med specialty
Like plastic hand sx ENT eye

Coz fam med earns the most

But impt to recognize gdfm (rag tag diploma) is a useless qualification

Only fam med residency mmed is the best.

How much is the pay?

Unregistered 29-01-2022 02:40 AM

Sounds like only the cream of the crop can dream of matching into family
Medicine training. Any tips besides sucking up to everyone as suggested by the above posts?

Unregistered 29-01-2022 03:11 AM

Gonna grad soon, not sure about the salary for 1st years and years to come... anyone willing to share more? (about your year of grad and how you found your way/interest to what you're specialising in now)

Any insights appreciated! Thank you in advance :)

Unregistered 29-01-2022 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200165)
How much is the pay?

didn't u get the memo?
20k per mth
more if u willing to suck and lick

Unregistered 29-01-2022 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200199)
Gonna grad soon, not sure about the salary for 1st years and years to come... anyone willing to share more? (about your year of grad and how you found your way/interest to what you're specialising in now)

Any insights appreciated! Thank you in advance :)

me grad 2014.
ho 3.6k
mo 4.5
then one day my registrar pulled me into a room and pulled down his pants.
I knew what I had to do then...
from there I got into the grandest of all grand speciality..fam med.
during exams... I did a lot of the...thingy too and pass out with a m.med , not some rag tag gfdm.
now I make 20k a month.

true story.

Unregistered 29-01-2022 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200204)
me grad 2014.
ho 3.6k
mo 4.5
then one day my registrar pulled me into a room and pulled down his pants.
I knew what I had to do then...
from there I got into the grandest of all grand speciality..fam med.
during exams... I did a lot of the...thingy too and pass out with a m.med , not some rag tag gfdm.
now I make 20k a month.

true story.

Thank you senior

I will do what i must do to get into fam med
The grandiest of grand specialties

Unregistered 29-01-2022 02:36 PM

what's up with the above guy replying to himself ?

Unregistered 30-01-2022 01:58 PM

Noted there has been a lot of debate about working in public/doing residency vs private. I think one thing that many juniors fail to factor in is the opportunity cost.

If you do residency, you give pretty much your youth to the public sector. Pay is mediacore until you become consultant which could be 8-10 years depending on speciality.
To be fair, life does get easier when you become specialist or get fellowship (in the case of family physician) and pay is generally attractive/reasonable.

However what you are missing out is the financial opportunity cost of locuming. (E.g if you locum at community iso facility for past 1-2 years, you can easily hit 25-30k/mth and the amount of money made through investing this money etc.)

Disclaimer: I just completed my mmed in Nov last year after completing fm residency. Also mopex a few years prior to residency. I just started locuming and appreciate the world outside of mohh. To be fair the pay package offered by ops for mmeders is decent compared to a typical chain group (and in the long run there is probably better benefits esp if I do fellowship) but the amt of money I have missed out from locuming for the past 3-4 years is insane (esp considering you can invest the money to grow your capital) and I am Starting to regret my decision to do residency now.

Unregistered 30-01-2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200422)
Noted there has been a lot of debate about working in public/doing residency vs private. I think one thing that many juniors fail to factor in is the opportunity cost.

If you do residency, you give pretty much your youth to the public sector. Pay is mediacore until you become consultant which could be 8-10 years depending on speciality.
To be fair, life does get easier when you become specialist or get fellowship (in the case of family physician) and pay is generally attractive/reasonable.

However what you are missing out is the financial opportunity cost of locuming. (E.g if you locum at community iso facility for past 1-2 years, you can easily hit 25-30k/mth and the amount of money made through investing this money etc.)

Disclaimer: I just completed my mmed in Nov last year after completing fm residency. Also mopex a few years prior to residency. I just started locuming and appreciate the world outside of mohh. To be fair the pay package offered by ops for mmeders is decent compared to a typical chain group (and in the long run there is probably better benefits esp if I do fellowship) but the amt of money I have missed out from locuming for the past 3-4 years is insane (esp considering you can invest the money to grow your capital) and I am Starting to regret my decision to do residency now.

where forever got vaccination doctor or isolation facility job for you to do?
in the real world , after COVID blows over, u are looking at 80 to 100 per hour locum job at many locations and likely involve evening and weekend work. chiong half a year u feel shiok at the money, but after that it's a bit weary.
you got a m.med so be it. tired of locum can go back to public and find a job relatively easily now but others with MBBS hard to go back to mohh.
remember every year they pump out 600 local medical student. 5 years down the road, locum supply more more than demand, u see got 20 to 30k or not. 僧多粥少.

and u claim u are an investor? surely u know what is value investing right. or are u one of those bit coin buyers?

Unregistered 30-01-2022 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200479)
where forever got vaccination doctor or isolation facility job for you to do?
in the real world , after COVID blows over, u are looking at 80 to 100 per hour locum job at many locations and likely involve evening and weekend work. chiong half a year u feel shiok at the money, but after that it's a bit weary.
you got a m.med so be it. tired of locum can go back to public and find a job relatively easily now but others with MBBS hard to go back to mohh.
remember every year they pump out 600 local medical student. 5 years down the road, locum supply more more than demand, u see got 20 to 30k or not. 僧多粥少.

and u claim u are an investor? surely u know what is value investing right. or are u one of those bit coin buyers?

Op here.
I have met friends who made 300k-400k last year based on locuming alone. And with their investment portfolio and options trading (selling covered calls etc, not speculation on crypto btw) they are almost financially free. Some of them who locum for a few more years already bought house and earning passive income from rental.

I think the general point is to locum agressively for 5-10 years, once you made your pot of gold early, they don't care how much locums get paid in 10-20 years as they are likely financially free by then. Having said that I must emphasize that the sample size of people I meet is small as I only just started locuming for 3 months.

I used to think like a typical mo/resident, work hard for residency, strive for mmed, at least got secure reasonable paying job for life (can always return to public sector when old etc). It's only in the last 2-3 months when I started my "locum life" before I realize how stupid that idea was. I met doctors younger than me who broke bond and go full time locum have their net worth 4-5 times of mine.. (of course covid is a once in lifetime opportunity for locums and may never happen again in our lifetime)

To be fair, I guess it's also a mentality thing. Most of these locum doctors think like finance people, chiong hard for 10 years, build your pot of gold, try and create source of passive income (investment, property etc) and retire by mid 40s, whereas throughout my residency and mopex years I am surrounded by senior doctors who focus on things like pursuing your passion, lifelong learning etc. (I.e there is less hunger/emphasis on wealth/money).

I don't want to say which option (public vs private) is better, as I am very new to private sector and to a large extent learning as I go along. I just wanted to comment here as I feel that junior doctors should know of their options outside and the financial opportunity cost of staying in public especially if they have the necessary mentality and hunger for money.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2