Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 23-05-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134955)
Yes it’s normal to get scolded and belittled in this highly toxic industry

I wonder why has lawsoc / judiciary do anything about these mental abuses incidents after all these years.

we are really behind UK OZ in addressing such issues.

No breach of PCR?

Unregistered 23-05-2020 06:39 PM

sure, if you are willing to lodge a complaint and provide evidence. the juniors in the industry will thank you

Unregistered 23-05-2020 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134963)
sure, if you are willing to lodge a complaint and provide evidence. the juniors in the industry will thank you

Yeah i mean even in R&T there are scoldings no?

Unregistered 24-05-2020 12:15 AM

I hope some higher ups can take notice
how the seniors are creating these kind is toxic environment

Unregistered 24-05-2020 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134983)

This is what you get when you put some abused person in a position of power, creating a vicious cycle. Partner was scolded as a trainee/associate, so when he/she gets to a position of power he/she repeats the same on his junior. Partner scolds associate. Associate scolds trainee.

The only objective is to earn as much money as possible from your billables. We're all replaceable. When you say higher ups, given that this is quite rampant in this industry, what makes you think they haven't done the same to their own juniors?

I've heard from a senior lawyer of (big caveat, idk if true) associates being outright pushed and scolded in important places. There are also file throwers (a hybrid form of abuse). No one at the junior level is going to speak up. No senior is going to do it - why speak up against a peer when they have all clawed their way there? Some call it tough love/training, some call it abuse. But when violence is involved (not sure if getting verbally abused for 40 minutes is better), that's where the line is crossed.

Although, obviously, if you want your job you have to take the abuse if you speak up you're fired and unemployed because he's going to ruin your career for ruining his. Without concrete evidence, he/she will just deny it and ruin your future prospects.

Unregistered 24-05-2020 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134983)

Nope. Not going to happen. What's in it for them for being ethical? A bad reputation

Unregistered 24-05-2020 03:17 AM

Asking for friend...

A fresh hire was literally ridiculed by his upper-study during her first assignment. Got her face shouted at in front of the whole floor.

Reason? She simply highlighted that she’s not familiar with preparing DCF spreadsheets for merger assumptions. Is this really part of a jobscope for first years fresh out of law school?

Unregistered 24-05-2020 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134989)
Asking for friend...

A fresh hire was literally ridiculed by his upper-study during her first assignment. Got her face shouted at in front of the whole floor.

Reason? She simply highlighted that she’s not familiar with preparing DCF spreadsheets for merger assumptions. Is this really part of a jobscope for first years fresh out of law school?

Which firm is this? No. I don't do corporate. However, at any firm (barring a midsized firm that I won't name that exploits interns as cheap labour, no sleep) I have been in, (i) interns are treated well (ii) interns are not given heavy responsibilities, what more a first year.

This behaviour is quite unethical.

Unregistered 24-05-2020 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134990)
Which firm is this? No. I don't do corporate. However, at any firm (barring a midsized firm that I won't name that exploits interns as cheap labour, no sleep) I have been in, (i) interns are treated well (ii) interns are not given heavy responsibilities, what more a first year.

This behaviour is quite unethical.

Misread. Yes, then it's quite normal depending on where you're at. If you don't know sht as an associate they'll abuse you

Unregistered 24-05-2020 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134991)
Misread. Yes, then it's quite normal depending on where you're at. If you don't know sht as an associate they'll abuse you

That’s insane. Nobody deserves to be abused like that. One more reason to leave the industry or join an international firm instead.