Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 04-04-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131683)
How’s SUSS law lecturers like?

I'm from NUS Law myself, but know paralegals at my firm that are studying in SUSS now. From what they say, there's a lot of teething problem - the lecture content and even syllabus are finalised at the last minute. SUSS also prides itself on hiring practitioners to be lecturers, but some practitioners do not have a firm grasp of the theories and frameworks, leading to a lot of confusion amongst students. There are also complaints of opaque and arbitrary grading for assignments.

I think if you go to SUSS law, prepare to do a lot of self study. That being said, it's still a better option than most overseas universities because it's cheaper with the MOE tuition grant.

Unregistered 04-04-2020 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131746)
I'm from NUS Law myself, but know paralegals at my firm that are studying in SUSS now. From what they say, there's a lot of teething problem - the lecture content and even syllabus are finalised at the last minute. SUSS also prides itself on hiring practitioners to be lecturers, but some practitioners do not have a firm grasp of the theories and frameworks, leading to a lot of confusion amongst students. There are also complaints of opaque and arbitrary grading for assignments.

I think if you go to SUSS law, prepare to do a lot of self study. That being said, it's still a better option than most overseas universities because it's cheaper with the MOE tuition grant.

So your opinion is that academics should remain academics? And practitioners should remain practitioners. In other words, there shouldn’t be any co-mingling of academics and practitioners?

Unregistered 05-04-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131774)
So your opinion is that academics should remain academics? And practitioners should remain practitioners. In other words, there shouldn’t be any co-mingling of academics and practitioners?

He said "some" practitioners do not have a firm grasp of the theories and frameworks, not "all". If you can't read, then at least shut the f**k up.

Unregistered 06-04-2020 02:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131814)
He said "some" practitioners do not have a firm grasp of the theories and frameworks, not "all". If you can't read, then at least shut the f**k up.

Why the need to be so hostile?

You sound like a lawyer

Unregistered 06-04-2020 10:38 AM

On the issue of salaries, is it true that for the shutdown, firms are reducing the salary of associates for the month of April and May?
Does this only apply to big 5?

Unregistered 06-04-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131846)
On the issue of salaries, is it true that for the shutdown, firms are reducing the salary of associates for the month of April and May?
Does this only apply to big 5?

Heard number 5 is reducing bonus. Not too sure about the rest.. Please share if you have heard anything else.

Unregistered 06-04-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131849)
Heard number 5 is reducing bonus. Not too sure about the rest.. Please share if you have heard anything else.

Bonus cut is expected. What is more of a concern is the monthly salary. If cut, it’s very difficult. Would billing requirements be put on hold as well? There’s no way to hit 1,800 hours or 5-6x of base in this current climate

Unregistered 06-04-2020 05:07 PM

Failed Part B

Just got my part b results - failed a paper. Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice how I should spend my time effectively before re-taking? Any jobs I can do etc

Unregistered 06-04-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131864)
Just got my part b results - failed a paper. Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice how I should spend my time effectively before re-taking? Any jobs I can do etc

Thought part b released like a month ago?

Unregistered 06-04-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 131865)
Thought part b released like a month ago?

results for re-sits are out today.

He means he failed the re-sit.