Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 17-05-2020 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134349)
Nonsense. If you actually read the news, you realise internationals who are paying top dollar are merely freezing pay at their lofty levels. It is locals that are contemplating or have already instituted cuts of 10 - 20%.and even if it is the other way around, 80% of 16k is more than 100% of 7.5k....

Oh didn't know this was reported on the news. Where, the Straits Times? Enlighten us with what little knowledge you have in either scene.

So what if a couple of Mid Sized firms institute pay cuts? Does it mean Singapore law as a whole is not doing well? Do you actually know that the Big 4 still has very high retention rates

Unregistered 17-05-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134279)
That’s still decent. Is that front loaded? What’s the year end bonus after front load?

Prior to Covid, could expect 1-3 months over and above the gross figures from the previous post (i.e. total $134-$155k for 4Q year) depending on grading band. Most doing ok would have gotten closer to the upper end of that band

Unregistered 17-05-2020 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134361)
Yup. Boomer partners leech of the firm every year until no reserves left, then when Wuhan virus hit ask slave-wage employees to go on npl, pay cut because we work as a 'team', we are a family'. There are paycuts as high as 30% happening. Typical cheapskate SMEs.

I mean I don't get why you're crying. You work 9 to 12 hours a day for a little over 5K, no?

Unregistered 17-05-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134333)
I had sex to get retained

This is a legitimate tactic, first class doesn't matter

Unregistered 17-05-2020 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134373)
Nope. Mid-sized. Recently moved cuz couldn't tahan CBD rentals.

RHT right? Want to say don't want to say. Its the only mid sized that moved out of the CBD recently to Paya Lebar Quarter

Unregistered 17-05-2020 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134426)
I mean I don't get why you're crying. You work 9 to 12 hours a day for a little over 5K, no?

Wah brudder u got lobang of any firm for nq-1pqe onli need work 9h a day for above 5k salary sic leh I tmr throw letter and join~

Unregistered 17-05-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134496)
Wah brudder u got lobang of any firm for nq-1pqe onli need work 9h a day for above 5k salary sic leh I tmr throw letter and join~

Ask the trainee who complained about his 30% pay cut

Unregistered 17-05-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134142)
Howw? I have a 2nd lower and I struggled very hard to get a TC! :( Now that I know I am not getting retained I will likely have even more difficulty in securing an associate position

Assuming you're a girl:
1. Look good. If you're not naturally pretty, fix it by brushing up on your makeup skills and investing in a good wardrobe. The aim is to look professional and attractive but not slutty.

2. Have a photo of yourself included in your CV when applying for a job. Have it professionally taken after completing step 1.

3. During training, prove your worth and work like a dog. Most partners are old school and would be very happy to see a trainee voluntarily put in long hours and go the extra mile. (But don't be over eager about it in a teacher's pet kind of way).

4. If applicable to your partner/the firm, show that you can drink and hold conversations. Give your partner confidence that he/she will not be embarrassed to bring you along to client drinks or networking sessions. (This coupled with step 1 will give you an edge over many other female SG law grads, who are very good at studying but are often not seen as "worldly" enough.)

5. Be respectful and friendly to everyone - not just the partners and associates but also the secretaries, tea ladies etc.

6. Get retained and profit.

7. As an associate, keep in contact with your peers/seniors in other firms as well as recruiters. You will then be aware of opportunities as they come by so you can eventually plan your next move.

Some of the points probably don't apply if you already know you're not getting retained but you get the gist...

Unregistered 18-05-2020 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134505)
Ask the trainee who complained about his 30% pay cut

My wife earns 3 times my salary. If i divorce her will i be able to get alimony?

Unregistered 18-05-2020 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 134555)
My wife earns 3 times my salary. If i divorce her will i be able to get alimony?

Definitely not, but you will be lucky if she doesn't ask for maintenance. It's called a Women's Charter for a reason.