Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 21-11-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125139)
In general, do the international law firms pay US rate?

Latham and Milbank do I think:)

LegalBeagle 27-11-2019 12:15 AM

Hi all

I’ve got an opening for a paralegal role with a top US firm. Basic salary US$5,000 for law graduates (different payscale if you have no legal background) and overtime pay is offered.

Frankly it would not be a fantastic option for someone looking to build a career as a lawyer, but if you’re fresh out of Part B with no TC and with time on your hands, this might be worth your while as a temporary solution while you look for an associate role.

Drop me a PM if you’re keen.

Unregistered 27-11-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegalBeagle (Post 125765)
Hi all

I’ve got an opening for a paralegal role with a top US firm. Basic salary US$5,000 for law graduates (different payscale if you have no legal background) and overtime pay is offered.

Frankly it would not be a fantastic option for someone looking to build a career as a lawyer, but if you’re fresh out of Part B with no TC and with time on your hands, this might be worth your while as a temporary solution while you look for an associate role.

When a paralegal role pays you more than an associate role

Unregistered 27-11-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegalBeagle (Post 125765)
Hi all

What are the hours like?

LegalBeagle 01-12-2019 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125801)
What are the hours like?

The hours are not great but not horrendous either. Things tend to be cyclical and you’ll find yourself going home after midnight maybe 20% of the time. You’d generally be off work around 7-8pm 60% of the time and and maybe the last 20% of the time you would be swatting flies and heading off at 6pm after slacking a day away.

Weekends are generally not burnt. I’ve burnt no more than 5 weekends this year. The team will have 4 assocs and 2-3 paralegals, so the work can be shared reasonably amongst us.

Career paralegals make in excess of 10k base salary after about 5 years. Overtime pay can add a lot to this figure, and it’s not unusual for paralegals to break $15,000 in hectic months.

Not a bed of roses, and progressing along this line in the long term would make you a career paralegal which ain’t glam, but there are very lucrative exit options for paralegals in this field (corp sec, trust services etc) if you don’t want to remain a lifelong paralegal.

Cheers! Drop me a PM if keen to explore.

LegalBeagle 01-12-2019 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 125772)
When a paralegal role pays you more than an associate role

I’ll be frank bro - it’s not a great long term proposition for people looking to build a career on the associate/partner track. You will out-earn that A&G assoc for the first few years of your career, but only until he/she jumps into an assoc role in an MC or US firm. Their salary will spike whilst yours would plateau.

You’d essentially be selling your career prospects for money upfront. Great for people with less ambition or less stellar academics, but not quite suitable for the promising high flying practice trainee who’s secured a TC with a Big4.

Unregistered 02-12-2019 08:44 AM

Yawn

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegalBeagle (Post 126446)
I’ll be frank bro - it’s not a great long term proposition for people looking to build a career on the associate/partner track. You will out-earn that A&G assoc for the first few years of your career, but only until he/she jumps into an assoc role in an MC or US firm. Their salary will spike whilst yours would plateau.

You’d essentially be selling your career prospects for money upfront. Great for people with less ambition or less stellar academics, but not quite suitable for the promising high flying practice trainee who’s secured a TC with a Big4.

You sure enjoy entertaining yourself here.

Can you post the actual JD and application page?

Unregistered 04-12-2019 01:51 PM

Does anyone know what the salary and progression is like in non-MC / MC / US firms? Tis recruiting season...

Unregistered 04-12-2019 02:08 PM

That's such a broad question... you expecting someone to write you an essay?

Unregistered 04-12-2019 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 126822)
Does anyone know what the salary and progression is like in non-MC / MC / US firms? Tis recruiting season...

salary is paid monthly

progression is made yearly, unless you suck