Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 13-12-2020 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151090)
Not sure about S&S and W&C, but I know a 2pqe (sg scale) at MoFo gets 22k monthly. If that is any indication, the rest of the white shoe firms should be similarly competitive.

How hard is it to get in? Do they usually hire from local firms or Singaporeans who have trained overseas?

Unregistered 13-12-2020 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151103)
How hard is it to get in? Do they usually hire from local firms or Singaporeans who have trained overseas?

Every firm would prefer to take their own people if possible (more of a known quantity). So if the firm doesn’t run a training contract, they can try to get people who they have worked with before, either opposite or from another office.

My firm (not saying which) actively tries to get london trainees in the same firm to qualify into SG but most people don’t want to uproot their lives to do so (unless they’re Singaporean and it’s going home for them). So they have recently done local laterals, and also laterals from Australia and HK. They don’t prefer Singaporean’s but Singaporeans are more likely to want to move to Singapore in the first place.

There’s a good trend in international firms starting to promote Singaporeans as counsel or partner (E.g. CC, Milbank, White and Case and Shearman.

Unregistered 14-12-2020 08:03 PM

Any law firms retrench support staff during covid period?

Unregistered 14-12-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151174)
Any law firms retrench support staff during covid period?

The driver and tea lady both work for like 20 yrs that kind just left the firm

Unregistered 14-12-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151176)
The driver and tea lady both work for like 20 yrs that kind just left the firm

How about legal seccies or execs?

Unregistered 14-12-2020 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151104)
Every firm would prefer to take their own people if possible (more of a known quantity). So if the firm doesn’t run a training contract, they can try to get people who they have worked with before, either opposite or from another office.

My firm (not saying which) actively tries to get london trainees in the same firm to qualify into SG but most people don’t want to uproot their lives to do so (unless they’re Singaporean and it’s going home for them). So they have recently done local laterals, and also laterals from Australia and HK. They don’t prefer Singaporean’s but Singaporeans are more likely to want to move to Singapore in the first place.

There’s a good trend in international firms starting to promote Singaporeans as counsel or partner (E.g. CC, Milbank, White and Case and Shearman.

Will it be easier to move to Sg as a mid level or senior? Am currently a banking junior at a cravath-scale law firm in the uk which doesn’t have an office in Sg.

Unregistered 15-12-2020 01:39 AM

Litigation or Corporate

Hi there, I am a Y3 student considering TC opportunities. Even after my internships, I feel like I still don't really know whether to choose a career in corp or liti. I felt like during the internships, I wasn't able to gain a complete understanding of what life in practice would be like. Perhaps it was my fault for not trying to observe harder and be more involved.

I just wanted to ask if you all have any opinions on corp (particularly m&a) vs liti, in terms of work-life balance, pay, career progression, level of difficulty, etc. From what I was told, corp tends to pay better, and the work can be more repetitive. On the other hand, the thrill of litigation work comes from the unique facts of each case and the opportunity to advocate.

Any corp to liti or vice versa switchers here? Also, would it affect much if I change after my training contract?

Unregistered 15-12-2020 07:28 AM

Don’t bother doing liti if you cherish your sleep and life

Unregistered 15-12-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151196)
Hi there, I am a Y3 student considering TC opportunities. Even after my internships, I feel like I still don't really know whether to choose a career in corp or liti. I felt like during the internships, I wasn't able to gain a complete understanding of what life in practice would be like. Perhaps it was my fault for not trying to observe harder and be more involved.

I just wanted to ask if you all have any opinions on corp (particularly m&a) vs liti, in terms of work-life balance, pay, career progression, level of difficulty, etc. From what I was told, corp tends to pay better, and the work can be more repetitive. On the other hand, the thrill of litigation work comes from the unique facts of each case and the opportunity to advocate.

Any corp to liti or vice versa switchers here? Also, would it affect much if I change after my training contract?

Best is to quit law if you know how toxic it can be. Once CECA encompasses lawyers it's game over for a lot of peeps here.

Unregistered 15-12-2020 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 151208)
Best is to quit law if you know how toxic it can be. Once CECA encompasses lawyers it's game over for a lot of peeps here.

You should quit this forum. Better go back to troll HWZ.