Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 25-02-2019 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114088)
Please tell the tale. Heard she got her marriage annulled.

Annulled on what basis, non-consummation? Her miscarriage via divine conception ah?

Unregistered 25-02-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114107)
seriously you guys. Leave other people's private lives alone. That's why the legal fraternity is so toxic. Too small and too much gossip.

She chose to place herself in the public eye and purposely made her social media account public :eyeroll: She also frequently threatens to sue people for defamation. As a fellow member of the legal fraternity, I find this sort of behaviour questionable coming from a lawyer.

Unregistered 26-02-2019 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114051)
Yeah when I see ppl complaining that they are unmarried and blame it on law and long working hours and no time for socializing and what not, sometimes people don’t deserve any pity because when they got such a good catch, they decide to cheat and find other guys which doesn’t work out and they change boyfriends repeatedly. How to get married like that.
For me I just married the first boyfriend I had even though we fought badly many times.
Now I realized that we were all pretty stressed out as trainees back then when everything was so uncertain. Don’t know if can pass PLC, get retained, can earn a decent living etc.
we fought and fought during those times. Somehow I gave in. Today we are happily married with 2 kids and have a thriving practice.
Just don’t understand when people keep complaining they can’t find the right guy, parents told them break up, etc. it’s all excuses.

Congratulations! It's really nice to hear a success story.

What were the biggest challenges you two faced?

Unregistered 26-02-2019 06:59 PM

Graduate employment survey just out. NUS law median salary is 5500 while SMU law median salary dropped to 4500. Why the big disparity?

Unregistered 27-02-2019 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114194)
Graduate employment survey just out. NUS law median salary is 5500 while SMU law median salary dropped to 4500. Why the big disparity?

Because NUS is a university, but SMU is a kindergarten.

Unregistered 27-02-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114202)
Because NUS is a university, but SMU is a kindergarten.

Oh Please. This smu nus rivalry s hit is getting old. The real kindergartens are the sub-par overseas law schools which are basically everything except oxbridge ucl and lse.

Unregistered 27-02-2019 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114204)
Oh Please. This smu nus rivalry s hit is getting old. The real kindergartens are the sub-par overseas law schools which are basically everything except oxbridge ucl and lse.

Pls add back SMU. Also add suss to kindergartens.

Unregistered 27-02-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114115)
Can’t stand daily work burnt until 2 am
next day still back at 830 am
weekends and cny also burnt
trainee here doing mudane and tedious works
just threw in letter.
applied to legal service

You just jumped from frying pan into fire.

Unregistered 27-02-2019 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114206)
You just jumped from frying pan into fire.

Really? Civil Service LSO has job security and bonuses.
And government generally are pro-family.

It is damn tiring to work past 1 am 2 am daily

Unregistered 27-02-2019 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114205)
Pls add back SMU. Also add suss to kindergartens.

Pls go see the latest qs world ranking 2019.
Before you criticise other universities, pls look at the rankings first of our three Singapore unis vis a vis other delisted uk universities

Unregistered 27-02-2019 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114219)
Pls go see the latest qs world ranking 2019.
Before you criticise other universities, pls look at the rankings first of our three Singapore unis vis a vis other delisted uk universities

I'm not so sure if QS world rankings are of any value at all... we presumably choose our law schools based on the career prospects for graduates of each school, and I'd say there shouldn't be much difference between NUS and SMU (not too sure about SUSS).

Regarding the rankings of international schools, it's such a joke... in America Yale is no.1 and Harvard is a significant distant no.3, while on QS the numbers are flipped. And the T14 schools in America practically send more than half of their graduates to jobs that pay 190k USD a year, but the rankings of their schools are below that of Chinese and even Singaporean universities where the median graduate makes maybe 60k a year.

Same goes for UK grads from "delisted" universities, a decent chunk of them make it to magic circle and silver circle firms, opportunities that are only available to the top graduates of NUS/SMU.

Unregistered 27-02-2019 09:25 PM

Part b results - anyone excited?

Unregistered 27-02-2019 11:33 PM

Oh please my dears. Stop the legacy as to which university belongs to the bottom pile. It all builds back to that graduate how capable that person is. Not forgetting how the so called NUS kids working as DPPs, getting trashed by not just Judges but also Defence for submitting either wrongly interpreted Cases or just plain stupid arguments. There is no end to the NUS, SMU, SUSS, External Uni debate. Blame it on the Uni's graduates who WAS the ONLY approved uni back then who failed to keep the amount of candidates in the legal system in good shape. It is also that uni's graduates fault for allowing the mess we are seeing today.

Unregistered 27-02-2019 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114232)
Oh please my dears. Stop the legacy as to which university belongs to the bottom pile. It all builds back to that graduate how capable that person is. Not forgetting how the so called NUS kids working as DPPs, getting trashed by not just Judges but also Defence for submitting either wrongly interpreted Cases or just plain stupid arguments. There is no end to the NUS, SMU, SUSS, External Uni debate. Blame it on the Uni's graduates who WAS the ONLY approved uni back then who failed to keep the amount of candidates in the legal system in good shape. It is also that uni's graduates fault for allowing the mess we are seeing today.

Your English is atrocious. Which delisted uni did you graduate from?

Unregistered 28-02-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114232)

I thought most DPPs all foreign uni cause all PSC scholars?

Unregistered 28-02-2019 01:38 PM

Is this forum only frequented by students? Debates over universities are so last year. This is a salary forum; please stick to salaries and general bitching about life in the legal industry.

Unregistered 28-02-2019 04:43 PM

I want to keep my options open in case training destroys my soul
What other fields of work/career opportunities would you guys recommend for fresh law grads
Or am I sadly doomed

Unregistered 28-02-2019 05:32 PM

Can ask what is the passing rate for :

Part A

Part B

Unregistered 28-02-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114264)
I want to keep my options open in case training destroys my soul
What other fields of work/career opportunities would you guys recommend for fresh law grads
Or am I sadly doomed

Your life only destroyed if because of legal training your gf/bf break up with you.
Other than that despicable scenario, you’ll be fine

Unregistered 28-02-2019 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114276)
Your life only destroyed if because of legal training your gf/bf break up with you.
Other than that despicable scenario, you’ll be fine

Lame and highly beta thinking. No life is "destroyed" just because your gf left you. The best revenge is to bang 5 hot but vapid girls and make sure your ex knows about it.

Unregistered 28-02-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114280)
Lame and highly beta thinking. No life is "destroyed" just because your gf left you. The best revenge is to bang 5 hot but vapid girls and make sure your ex knows about it.

You may be an alpha guy but can you say that everyone in law is an alpha guy?
The answer is that only 5-10% of the legal profession is probably alpha male.
How to find 5 hot girls if you are thin and scrawny?
Or worse if short?

Unregistered 28-02-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114281)
You may be an alpha guy but can you say that everyone in law is an alpha guy?
The answer is that only 5-10% of the legal profession is probably alpha male.
How to find 5 hot girls if you are thin and scrawny?
Or worse if short?

Use money lor.

The sad fact is its difficult for lawyers to find time to stay in shape because we're actually so busy doing real work, unlike bankers who sit around twiddling their thumbs on pretend work.

The advantage we have over finance-types however, is that we're generally smarter and more witty. More charming or not is debatable.

Of course, this means your target market is limited to the english-speaking airheads, not the ah lian-type airheads.

LegalBeagle 28-02-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114126)
Annulled on what basis, non-consummation? Her miscarriage via divine conception ah?

Consummation must take place after marriage, not before. A couple who has gotten it on for years and conceived prior to marriage can still have the marriage annulled as long as they didn’t get it on after marriage.

Unregistered 02-03-2019 09:46 AM

Very interested in part b results.

Anyone failed?

Unregistered 02-03-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114282)
Use money lor.

The sad fact is its difficult for lawyers to find time to stay in shape because we're actually so busy doing real work, unlike bankers who sit around twiddling their thumbs on pretend work.

The advantage we have over finance-types however, is that we're generally smarter and more witty. More charming or not is debatable.

Of course, this means your target market is limited to the english-speaking airheads, not the ah lian-type airheads.

But if find this kind, end up heartbroken a few months later as they will break up with you again to find a bigger catch.
Actually divorce lawyer is good since so many people will divorce

Unregistered 02-03-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114325)
Very interested in part b results.

Anyone failed?

Should be a lot of these OSU grads. Nowadays they got all this conditional pass kind of bull.

In my day, pass means pass. Conditional pass means fail. Very few ppl failed.

Nowadays all these foreign grads failing left right & centre. At part a stage too. Trained their liver too much in the UK but forgot to train their brains LMAO

LegalBeagle 02-03-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114337)
Should be a lot of these OSU grads. Nowadays they got all this conditional pass kind of bull.

In my day, pass means pass. Conditional pass means fail. Very few ppl failed.

Nowadays all these foreign grads failing left right & centre. At part a stage too. Trained their liver too much in the UK but forgot to train their brains LMAO

What’s all this bitterness towards overseas grads about? What did they do that made you so pissed?

Unregistered 02-03-2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegalBeagle (Post 114339)
What’s all this bitterness towards overseas grads about? What did they do that made you so pissed?

Must be a local grad dumped by an overseas grad.

Unregistered 02-03-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegalBeagle (Post 114339)

You misunderstand. There's no bitterness; just stating facts. Most of the part b failures are/have been overseas grads.

Standards still not up to scratch although its improving as the latest stats show almost a 25% decline in OSU grads since 2014. The supply tightening measures are working.

At least now only the higher calibre and more motivated OSU grads are left, not those who are sent overseas just because mummy or daddy want their kid to have an LLB.

Unregistered 04-03-2019 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114341)
Must be a local grad dumped by an overseas grad.

Probably got his heart broken after daddy's girl dumped him for a "more worldly" man

Unregistered 04-03-2019 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114415)
Probably got his heart broken after daddy's girl dumped him for a "more worldly" man

Joker. Which OSU do you hail from? Delisted or not?

Unregistered 04-03-2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114415)

If you’re a girl and above 25 and posting such comments, chances are your new fling won’t work out and you’ll remain a single unmarried person all your life.

Unregistered 05-03-2019 01:50 AM

This thread is about lawyers' salaries in singapore.

Unregistered 05-03-2019 08:23 AM

Why would anyone do an LLB just to have an LLB?
Not as if its an east practice.
If the comparison is made between a local LLB and a sub-par LLB, then its just cherry picking statistics.

Unregistered 06-03-2019 06:10 AM

I'm kinda curious about the salaries of senior associates (e.g. 5 years PQE) in mid-sized firms, as well as exit options for lawyers who don't want to remain working in firms forever. Can anyone shed some light? Thank you!

Unregistered 07-03-2019 08:19 PM

Anybody consider going in house(legal or legal related roles) with 1pqe, and if so, what's your asking price?

Unregistered 07-03-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114577)
Anybody consider going in house(legal or legal related roles) with 1pqe, and if so, what's your asking price?

Not really recommended. You will end up in some legal exec or legal manager type of role, doing the low level doc churn and compliance stuff

Even if an SME is willing to hire and call you a legal counsel, you will be that only in name but not in function

Work minimum 3 years in private practice setting first before going over.

Unless you are joining a true institutional legal team like in a financial institution headed by a GC or CLO with a clear hierarchy and for all intents an purposes is akin to a law firm within a large entity

Unregistered 08-03-2019 01:46 PM

So... I heard that a certain law firm with a particularly distinct website and market strategy with a particularly famous female corp lawyer had some sort of personal drama.

Juicy details please... i'm bored

Unregistered 08-03-2019 01:54 PM

PQY7 then career switch to pilot. Maybe we should do the same

s://.silverkris.com/tech-crew-the-high-flyer/?dclid=CNvywuvr8eACFdIfaAod2SQNLw#utm_source=Faceb ook&utm_campaign=SGTechCrewStory&utm_content=KF%20 Members

Unregistered 08-03-2019 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 114606)
PQY7 then career switch to pilot. Maybe we should do the same

s://.silverkris.com/tech-crew-the-high-flyer/?dclid=CNvywuvr8eACFdIfaAod2SQNLw#utm_source=Faceb ook&utm_campaign=SGTechCrewStory&utm_content=KF%20 Members