Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Lawyer Salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/771-lawyer-salary.html)

Unregistered 03-05-2012 02:35 PM

Hi all, a query.

Assuming I land an offer in say, the Legal Service, conditional upon graduation with Second Upper.

But I'm not confident of maintaining that class of honours and I would definitely be looking at other opportunities. Am I obliged to inform the other firms that I am applying to about the current offer that I have? And what are the repercussions if I break that conditional offer, before graduation?

Thanks!

Unregistered 05-05-2012 02:46 PM

Pvt law school

Hi all is it advisable to take a diploma from a private law school here followed by a degree from the same school? I'm aware that under the bar council, graduates from these schools can't practice as lawyers here. What other opportunities would I have besides being a lawyer after graduating with a degree from one of these private schools? Thanks in advanced to those who took time to read my post and reply!

Unregistered 06-05-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24483)
Hi all is it advisable to take a diploma from a private law school here followed by a degree from the same school? I'm aware that under the bar council, graduates from these schools can't practice as lawyers here. What other opportunities would I have besides being a lawyer after graduating with a degree from one of these private schools? Thanks in advanced to those who took time to read my post and reply!

Essentially your only option is to be a paralegal or secretary.

The only opportunity is to take up UOL DL program and do well enough to transfer to a recognised university in UK. Else, if you wish to be admitted to the bar, go for one of the lesser-known UK/Aus universities that are on MiniLaw's list.

Intercontinental 26-06-2012 08:08 AM

If I were you, I would definitely consider at the same time other opportunities. I suppose you could tell if the other firms do ask.

I can’t see any repercussions in breaking the original offer unless there is something extraordinary that the Legal Service may have imposed on you.

That said, it probably isn’t very nice but so is not being able to have a job should you not get a 2nd Upper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 24462)
Hi all, a query.

Assuming I land an offer in say, the Legal Service, conditional upon graduation with Second Upper.

But I'm not confident of maintaining that class of honours and I would definitely be looking at other opportunities. Am I obliged to inform the other firms that I am applying to about the current offer that I have? And what are the repercussions if I break that conditional offer, before graduation?

Thanks!

Intercontinental 26-06-2012 08:19 AM

JP as a 6th year-er in a mid-sized firm is not too bad. Does it feel like there is more responsibility / autonomy or is it no different from being an associate/senior associate?

I doubt your peers in the big firms are earning 1.5 times more but I also doubt that for most of them, their souls are really their own.

It looks like you are in a nice place!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23052)
Let me bring life to this old thread by giving some real world data.

I am in my 6th year of this profession, just been made a salaried junior partner in a medium sized local firm. Average pay is about 10k a month not including bonuses, and there is no CPF (apparently partners are considered self-employed).

My boss doesn't own my soul, but my hours are erratic, on occasion working 12-16 hours a day (not always).

I am sure that my peers in bigger firms are earning 1.5 times more, but they are also probably working longer hours.

Unregistered 01-07-2012 02:04 AM

SA

Senior Associate at international law firm (based in Singapore), 8th year from graduation, $25,000 per month (excluding bonus).

Unregistered 02-07-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26271)
Senior Associate at international law firm (based in Singapore), 8th year from graduation, $25,000 per month (excluding bonus).

clifford chance?

Intercontinental 03-07-2012 11:54 AM

That's a neat figure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26271)

Unregistered 07-08-2012 11:06 PM

what's the starting pay for the legal service? 2nd upper?

do they accept grads with 2nd lower?

thanks in advance.

Unregistered 07-08-2012 11:08 PM

enjoys donedcg

to the SA in the international firm: any advice on how to get to such a position?

Intercontinental 08-08-2012 12:51 PM

I am not one but would say the usual way is to work a number of years in a reputable firm in Singapore and then move offshore. Much will probably depend on your area of practice. Generally I would say the more esoteric it is, the more sought after you are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27401)
to the SA in the international firm: any advice on how to get to such a position?

joan xue ying li 09-08-2012 02:11 AM

or do what sg law girls presently do nowadays and just spread your legs.... and bam! clifford chance SA, JLC, law school deans list, etc.

dear clients, in exchange for retaining us we will assume whatever positions you want us to take!

Unregistered 09-08-2012 08:43 PM

i

Get top grades. Then work hard for 3 years in a top local firm (e.g. A&G, Drew, R&T, etc.). Make sure your work is outstanding and get good references. Then try to jump to an international firm. Not just any international firm though, some of them don't pay that well. Go for the magic circles (UK) or whiteshoes (US) - they pay the best. The bonus won't be as good as the local firms, but that's to be expected as your base salary will be much higher.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27401)

Unregistered 10-08-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27435)
Get top grades. Then work hard for 3 years in a top local firm (e.g. A&G, Drew, R&T, etc.). Make sure your work is outstanding and get good references. Then try to jump to an international firm. Not just any international firm though, some of them don't pay that well. Go for the magic circles (UK) or whiteshoes (US) - they pay the best. The bonus won't be as good as the local firms, but that's to be expected as your base salary will be much higher.

Seems like its unnecessary to work hard to get onto the Dean's List now. There are many ways to appeal to your lecturer to get that coveted "A". Can't wait for the juicy details of Prof. Tey Tsun Hang's shenanigans to come to light.

Unregistered 10-08-2012 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27473)
Seems like its unnecessary to work hard to get onto the Dean's List now. There are many ways to appeal to your lecturer to get that coveted "A". Can't wait for the juicy details of Prof. Tey Tsun Hang's shenanigans to come to light.

I don't think she's as inept as you think, maybe a perfectionist who wanted perfect scores or even a romantic relation rather than bribery.

Because dean's lister can't be just do well in one module, unless Prof Tey taught her in all her modules.

Unregistered J 23-08-2012 09:17 AM

I've heard that the big 4 starts you off (after being called) at 5.5k. Does anyone know how much a mid-size firm offers?

Unregistered J 23-08-2012 09:38 AM

also, any idea how much the offshore firms start you off with?

Unregistered 23-08-2012 10:31 AM

any idea how much a Assistant Public Prosecutor/Deputy Public Prosectutor in AGC earns?

Unregistered 26-08-2012 06:28 PM

DPP for guys, abt 4600 to 4900 depending on your grade. Woman, about 3900.
Not sure about APP.

Unregistered 27-08-2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27755)
Not sure about APP.

Haha. .

Trainee Lawyer 30-08-2012 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered J (Post 27698)
I've heard that the big 4 starts you off (after being called) at 5.5k. Does anyone know how much a mid-size firm offers?

You're about right. In 2012 (for freshly qualified lawyers), two of the big four firms start at 5k, one starts at 5.2k and another one starts at 5.7k. Offshore firms (ie UK magic/silver circles and US white shoes) pay much higher though, 8k+ if I'm not wrong.

Unregistered 31-08-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27755)
Not sure about APP.

Wow. thanks for the info. how about average yearly increment? Then APP's pay should be lower than DPP since they report to DPP right?

Unregistered 31-08-2012 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trainee Lawyer (Post 27842)
You're about right. In 2012 (for freshly qualified lawyers), two of the big four firms start at 5k, one starts at 5.2k and another one starts at 5.7k. Offshore firms (ie UK magic/silver circles and US white shoes) pay much higher though, 8k+ if I'm not wrong.

alamak... a young fresh lawyer already hit hdb ceiling, and cannot buy bto flat when he graduates... jialat lah for those wana settle down quickly and make babies to boast population... must work like a dog then can buy condo, but work so hard, then libido kena affect, how arh?

Unregistered 01-09-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27855)
alamak... a young fresh lawyer already hit hdb ceiling, and cannot buy bto flat when he graduates... jialat lah for those wana settle down quickly and make babies to boast population... must work like a dog then can buy condo, but work so hard, then libido kena affect, how arh?

why are you worried about them? they can always buy hdb resale flats, but it doesn't match their high flyer image. imagine suits-donning legal eagles coming out of a hdb lift and walking in the void deck alongside grumpy uncles and aunties. hilarious.

Unregistered 01-09-2012 02:57 PM

Was an arts student who stumbled into banking, and for the next good 10 years. Recently I have been reading up about law and wondering if my private banking experience would ever stand me in any good stead ?

Unregistered 02-09-2012 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27883)
Was an arts student who stumbled into banking, and for the next good 10 years. Recently I have been reading up about law and wondering if my private banking experience would ever stand me in any good stead ?

It will certainly be helpful, your finance knowledge will be in demand in big law firms (who tend to do a lot of IPOs). However, you'd have to consider the opportunity cost of going back to law school + training. It'll take around 4-5 years and I'm sure that, as a banker, you will hit 5k in less than that amount of time.

curious-unregistererd 02-09-2012 06:29 PM

hi

trainee lawyer, which two big 4 firms start at 5k?

which is the one that starts at 5.7k? any hints?

Trainee Lawyer 02-09-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curious-unregistererd (Post 27905)
trainee lawyer, which two big 4 firms start at 5k?

which is the one that starts at 5.7k? any hints?

I heard that the 5.7k firm also works its trainees & lawyers very hard, no free lunch in the world.

All four big firms are equally good (except A&G, which is the best IMO). If you can hold out at the big firms for six years, you'll be earning at least S$10k a month when you hit 30 (32 for men). Very competitive remuneration.

Unregistered 04-09-2012 09:43 PM

why is a&g the best? just because the minister came from there? they have so few SCs

and what happens after 6 years if you dont make partner?

Unregistered 05-09-2012 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trainee Lawyer (Post 27914)
I heard that the 5.7k firm also works its trainees & lawyers very hard, no free lunch in the world.

All four big firms are equally good (except A&G, which is the best IMO). If you can hold out at the big firms for six years, you'll be earning at least S$10k a month when you hit 30 (32 for men). Very competitive remuneration.

regarding the above, for just an estimate - how much do the non-equity partners earn?

Trainee Lawyer 18-09-2012 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unregistered

why is a&g the best? just because the minister came from there? they have so few SCs

and what happens after 6 years if you dont make partner?

A&G is the best law firm = general industry consensus. SCs are good for litigation and publicity, but legal practice is not all about litigation. I dunno what happens; I'm just a trainee. Many senior associates choose to leave even if they could make partner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27972)
regarding the above, for just an estimate - how much do the non-equity partners earn?

Unfortunately I have no idea. But I found the quote below, made by a junior partner on this forum. For junior associates annual base salary increment is 1k per year, dunno if it applies to senior associates/junior partners. In big law firms, it usually takes more than 6 years to make (junior) partner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered
Let me bring life to this old thread by giving some real world data.

I am in my 6th year of this profession, just been made a salaried junior partner in a medium sized local firm. Average pay is about 10k a month not including bonuses, and there is no CPF (apparently partners are considered self-employed).

My boss doesn't own my soul, but my hours are erratic, on occasion working 12-16 hours a day (not always).

I am sure that my peers in bigger firms are earning 1.5 times more, but they are also probably working longer hours.

Intercontinental 19-09-2012 09:41 AM

What's the salary for first and second year associates at A&G and D&N?

Unregistered 20-09-2012 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intercontinental (Post 28395)
What's the salary for first and second year associates at A&G and D&N?

Why don't you call up HR to ask / ask the partners at your interview?

Intercontinental 20-09-2012 03:33 PM

I was called a number of years back....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28426)
Why don't you call up HR to ask / ask the partners at your interview?

Unregistered 24-09-2012 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Intercontinental (Post 28453)
I was called a number of years back....

Doesn't mean you don't need to go through HR or an interview? If you're not currently working for a big firm I'd advise you not to go down that route, the hours are pretty inhumane.

Unregistered 15-10-2012 01:38 AM

lawyers are poor, pay less than macdonalds per hour

oldmaid 10-11-2012 03:03 PM

there are senior lawyers in local mid firms jumping to offshore firms.

by that jump, their monthly jump too...

so essentially, just struggle for 6yrs in a local firm... then look for opportunities in offshore firms. also with offshore firms now needs local lawyers due to offshore firms with QFLP licence...

in the end, its a win win situation for the lawyers...

Unregistered 11-11-2012 09:56 AM

Lawyer

why do you think D.Rasif ran off with the client's money? probably sick of his life (or no life) as a lawyer la, I spoke to some of my reservice bunk mates who are lawyers - they may drive fancy cars but their health are all deteriorating, some of them have lifetime pills that cost up to 1 k a month! Stressful job, but if you wan an LV coffin and have the persistence and like working in a purgatory with like-minded pple who have straight As their entire lives and type A personality, go ahead =p

Unregistered 11-11-2012 12:05 PM

Every profession will try ther best to portray a certain image.

Doctors, lawyers and even teachers are well known to exaggerate on the daily stress they have to face. A possible explanation is that they want to protect the profession from infiltrators outside its "inner circle". For quite some time, new doctors come mostly from rich background (some years ago a senior doctor even lamented in a public article that too few doctors come from HDB background).

Is anyone pointing guns at them to force them to work? The money is good so the stress must be high eh?

Unregistered 11-11-2012 08:56 PM

$5k per month, freshly qualified lawyer. 26 years old.

my peers who study econs / business overseas are earning more