Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Got a job offer but a better one might be coming. Need advice. (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4830-got-job-offer-but-better-one-might-coming-need-advice.html)

Nik 25-12-2014 10:51 PM

Hi guys, I'm the original starter of this thread.

Just an update. It seems I screwed up again. Long story short, I got the job at Company A last week, but the thing is : The job is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what the job description on jobstreet says, and also different from what the interviewer says. In short, it's like a programmer who got a job, only to realize the job is an admin assistant, filing documents and all that stuff. Just an analogy.

I'm definitely going to start hunting for jobs again while working at this, no questions asked. Only thing is: should I put this current job on my resume?
Wouldn't potential employers ask "Why do you want to quit after working only 1 week there?"

Or is it better to leave it out completely?

I think my problem is being impatient and accepting job offers too fast, but then, with this sort of misleading interviewer and job ad, the company is also 50% at fault.

Pls advise. Tks!
Nik

Unregistered 25-12-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60497)
Hi guys, I'm the original starter of this thread.

Just an update. It seems I screwed up again. Long story short, I got the job at Company A last week, but the thing is : The job is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what the job description on jobstreet says, and also different from what the interviewer says. In short, it's like a programmer who got a job, only to realize the job is an admin assistant, filing documents and all that stuff. Just an analogy.

I'm definitely going to start hunting for jobs again while working at this, no questions asked. Only thing is: should I put this current job on my resume?
Wouldn't potential employers ask "Why do you want to quit after working only 1 week there?"

Or is it better to leave it out completely?

I think my problem is being impatient and accepting job offers too fast, but then, with this sort of misleading interviewer and job ad, the company is also 50% at fault.

Pls advise. Tks!
Nik

Just a question, how many jobs did you change this year already?

Nik 25-12-2014 11:45 PM

This current one is my 2nd one. Pls advise. Tks!

Unregistered 25-12-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60500)
This current one is my 2nd one. Pls advise. Tks!

I will probably leave it out. But if the current industry you are in is small and the people do know one another, you will be seen as a serial job hopper. Hope you do get lucky and find the job that you really want.

Nik 25-12-2014 11:52 PM

Tks! But should I leave it in, but instead of putting the company name, I just put "Company Confidential"?

Or should I write something like "working for friend's start-up" or some other fluff? Tks!

Unregistered 26-12-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60502)
Tks! But should I leave it in, but instead of putting the company name, I just put "Company Confidential"?

Or should I write something like "working for friend's start-up" or some other fluff? Tks!

Nope, you will have more questions to answer and you will have to cook something up which will be bad if your story isn't consistent and the interviewer expose your lies.

Just say you went for a holiday.

Nik 26-12-2014 12:05 AM

Ok tks! But if I really got an interviewer, what am I gonna tell the interviewer? That is it ok to have the interview at 7 pm? (cos my current job ends at 6.30)

Unregistered 26-12-2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60505)
Ok tks! But if I really got an interviewer, what am I gonna tell the interviewer? That is it ok to have the interview at 7 pm? (cos my current job ends at 6.30)

If you are determined to leave your current job, just take MC and go in the morning.

Once i hated my job and was determined to leave, I took MC early morning so that I could go for interview later. If you are determined and hungry enough, you will do whatever it takes just to go for the interview

Nik 26-12-2014 12:23 AM

Ok tks a lot for the advice! Have sent out a couple applications.

Unregistered 26-12-2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60507)
Ok tks a lot for the advice! Have sent out a couple applications.

All the best and do update if you manage to find your dream job