Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Got a job offer but a better one might be coming. Need advice. (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4830-got-job-offer-but-better-one-might-coming-need-advice.html)

Nik 13-12-2014 06:34 PM

Got a job offer but a better one might be coming. Need advice.

Hi all,

So, I got a job offer (contract-based) at a new company where the salary is slightly lower than my previous company's salary. Reason being that I don't have much experience in the job scope that this company is providing me with. Let's call this Company A.
I'll be signing the letter in the coming week.

Problem now is: another company (Company B) just contacted me and despite me not able to meet all the requirements listed in the job ad, they are willing to give me a chance by asking me to do some stuff as a test of skill, which I've done and sent to them.
There's a 50-50% chance I might get hired for this company as my skillset and experience is very similar to what they're doing.

Problem is, if Company A calls me down to sign the letter and Company B isn't in time to reply yet, should I just sign Company A's employment letter while waiting for Company B? And when Company B really gives me the job, then I quit Company A?

I just feel that if I do this, I'm kinda wasting Company A's time.
More importantly, once I sign and start work at Company A (immediate), it'll be harder for me to go down to Company B for interviews etc.

But it's not guaranteed I'll get Company B's job, but there's a good chance.

Anyone faced similar situations before?

Unregistered 13-12-2014 07:19 PM

you can take the Letter Offer home to consider for a few days. Not necessary to sign on the spot

Nik 13-12-2014 07:43 PM

But if I don't sign on the spot, won't that give the company the impression that I'm either not interested, hesistant and might even suspect I got another job offer etc.? And when I do eventually sign it, they will tekkan me for putting up airs (even though I'm not)

Tks!

aspenx 13-12-2014 09:11 PM

This is a legit concern but uncalled for in this situation as you really can't be sure if Company B wants to hire you at all.

The "test assignment" thing sounds like they just made you do work for free.

What is your priority anyways? Better pay? Scope? Location? Work that matches what you have been doing? New area of work to challenge and improve yourself?

Those are things that you have to consider for yourself and weigh the chances. Anyways, you should check if Company A has a probation period and how much notice you need to give while under probation. That should be factored into your consideration too.

Unregistered 13-12-2014 09:23 PM

Co A Vs Co B

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60005)
Hi all,

There's a 50-50% chance I might get hired for this company as my skillset and experience is very similar to what they're doing.

More importantly, once I sign and start work at Company A (immediate), it'll be harder for me to go down to Company B for interviews etc.

But it's not guaranteed I'll get Company B's job, but there's a good chance.

Anyone faced similar situations before?

If you still need to attend interviews in Company B, how come there is a 50-50% chance of being hired...

Looks like you are better off starting work with Company A. Do you have any bills to pay? If so, join Company A right away. Otherwise keep waiting for an offer that might never come...

Nik 13-12-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 60011)
The "test assignment" thing sounds like they just made you do work for free.

Hi, tks! Actually, not really. The test assignment is only less than 2 hours, and it's common in the creative industry to put applicants to test on the spot (or by email) on their visual skills (since stuff like art can be tested easily, unlike business admin or accounting :D)

Quote:

What is your priority anyways? Better pay? Scope? Location? Work that matches what you have been doing? New area of work to challenge and improve yourself?
Actually, priority is more on the work that matches my education and experience. In my previous job which I left after 2 weeks, the scope of work is totally different, so I learnt my lesson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60012)
If you still need to attend interviews in Company B, how come there is a 50-50% chance of being hired...

Because basically, if the test sent to me is accepted, it might as well be a ticket to the company.

Quote:

Looks like you are better off starting work with Company A. Do you have any bills to pay? If so, join Company A right away. Otherwise keep waiting for an offer that might never come...
No bills to pay, but I think based on how things are now, I'll ask Company A to give me 1 day to consider and by then, Company B should have made their reply. If Company B doesn't reply by then, I'll just sign and join Company A and quit when Company B replies.

In short, Company B is like a dream job come true, which is why I'm staking more energy on it.

Unregistered 13-12-2014 11:22 PM

I have been in a similar circumstance before,

I decided very quickly but deliberately.

I didn't want to put myself in a spot where I have to face the company's scrutiny.

So, I gambled. I dropped the offer and I chose to gamble. AND I REALLY GOT THE 2ND JOB. But intuition proved me right.

I am not advising you should do what I did, but just sharing.

Miracles like that do happen!

Nik 13-12-2014 11:44 PM

Tks, great to hear your gamble paid off, but for me, both companies are good, just that Company B outshines A, but I can't afford to gamble LOL

Just have to see how things go.

Sometimes when there's no replies from companies after you send out resumes, you feel stressed.

Then, when got job offers come, also feel stressed. Actually, this is my 2nd time facing this sort of situation :mad:

Unregistered 14-12-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60020)
Tks, great to hear your gamble paid off, but for me, both companies are good, just that Company B outshines A, but I can't afford to gamble LOL

Just have to see how things go.

Sometimes when there's no replies from companies after you send out resumes, you feel stressed.

Then, when got job offers come, also feel stressed. Actually, this is my 2nd time facing this sort of situation :mad:

if you can't afford to gamble, too bad then and suck it. You will find ways around it if you really want to join company B if they offer you.. such as paying your way out of company A if you have started work there.

Nik 15-12-2014 10:41 AM

Hi, would like to check. Usually, does a 6-month contract include CPF? Or is it because if I'm not permanent staff + under temp contract, means no CPF?

Tks!