Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Got a job offer but a better one might be coming. Need advice. (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4830-got-job-offer-but-better-one-might-coming-need-advice.html)

Nik 13-12-2014 06:34 PM

Got a job offer but a better one might be coming. Need advice.

Hi all,

So, I got a job offer (contract-based) at a new company where the salary is slightly lower than my previous company's salary. Reason being that I don't have much experience in the job scope that this company is providing me with. Let's call this Company A.
I'll be signing the letter in the coming week.

Problem now is: another company (Company B) just contacted me and despite me not able to meet all the requirements listed in the job ad, they are willing to give me a chance by asking me to do some stuff as a test of skill, which I've done and sent to them.
There's a 50-50% chance I might get hired for this company as my skillset and experience is very similar to what they're doing.

Problem is, if Company A calls me down to sign the letter and Company B isn't in time to reply yet, should I just sign Company A's employment letter while waiting for Company B? And when Company B really gives me the job, then I quit Company A?

I just feel that if I do this, I'm kinda wasting Company A's time.
More importantly, once I sign and start work at Company A (immediate), it'll be harder for me to go down to Company B for interviews etc.

But it's not guaranteed I'll get Company B's job, but there's a good chance.

Anyone faced similar situations before?

Unregistered 13-12-2014 07:19 PM

you can take the Letter Offer home to consider for a few days. Not necessary to sign on the spot

Nik 13-12-2014 07:43 PM

But if I don't sign on the spot, won't that give the company the impression that I'm either not interested, hesistant and might even suspect I got another job offer etc.? And when I do eventually sign it, they will tekkan me for putting up airs (even though I'm not)

Tks!

aspenx 13-12-2014 09:11 PM

This is a legit concern but uncalled for in this situation as you really can't be sure if Company B wants to hire you at all.

The "test assignment" thing sounds like they just made you do work for free.

What is your priority anyways? Better pay? Scope? Location? Work that matches what you have been doing? New area of work to challenge and improve yourself?

Those are things that you have to consider for yourself and weigh the chances. Anyways, you should check if Company A has a probation period and how much notice you need to give while under probation. That should be factored into your consideration too.

Unregistered 13-12-2014 09:23 PM

Co A Vs Co B

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60005)
Hi all,

There's a 50-50% chance I might get hired for this company as my skillset and experience is very similar to what they're doing.

More importantly, once I sign and start work at Company A (immediate), it'll be harder for me to go down to Company B for interviews etc.

But it's not guaranteed I'll get Company B's job, but there's a good chance.

Anyone faced similar situations before?

If you still need to attend interviews in Company B, how come there is a 50-50% chance of being hired...

Looks like you are better off starting work with Company A. Do you have any bills to pay? If so, join Company A right away. Otherwise keep waiting for an offer that might never come...

Nik 13-12-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx (Post 60011)
The "test assignment" thing sounds like they just made you do work for free.

Hi, tks! Actually, not really. The test assignment is only less than 2 hours, and it's common in the creative industry to put applicants to test on the spot (or by email) on their visual skills (since stuff like art can be tested easily, unlike business admin or accounting :D)

Quote:

What is your priority anyways? Better pay? Scope? Location? Work that matches what you have been doing? New area of work to challenge and improve yourself?
Actually, priority is more on the work that matches my education and experience. In my previous job which I left after 2 weeks, the scope of work is totally different, so I learnt my lesson.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60012)
If you still need to attend interviews in Company B, how come there is a 50-50% chance of being hired...

Because basically, if the test sent to me is accepted, it might as well be a ticket to the company.

Quote:

Looks like you are better off starting work with Company A. Do you have any bills to pay? If so, join Company A right away. Otherwise keep waiting for an offer that might never come...
No bills to pay, but I think based on how things are now, I'll ask Company A to give me 1 day to consider and by then, Company B should have made their reply. If Company B doesn't reply by then, I'll just sign and join Company A and quit when Company B replies.

In short, Company B is like a dream job come true, which is why I'm staking more energy on it.

Unregistered 13-12-2014 11:22 PM

I have been in a similar circumstance before,

I decided very quickly but deliberately.

I didn't want to put myself in a spot where I have to face the company's scrutiny.

So, I gambled. I dropped the offer and I chose to gamble. AND I REALLY GOT THE 2ND JOB. But intuition proved me right.

I am not advising you should do what I did, but just sharing.

Miracles like that do happen!

Nik 13-12-2014 11:44 PM

Tks, great to hear your gamble paid off, but for me, both companies are good, just that Company B outshines A, but I can't afford to gamble LOL

Just have to see how things go.

Sometimes when there's no replies from companies after you send out resumes, you feel stressed.

Then, when got job offers come, also feel stressed. Actually, this is my 2nd time facing this sort of situation :mad:

Unregistered 14-12-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60020)
Tks, great to hear your gamble paid off, but for me, both companies are good, just that Company B outshines A, but I can't afford to gamble LOL

Just have to see how things go.

Sometimes when there's no replies from companies after you send out resumes, you feel stressed.

Then, when got job offers come, also feel stressed. Actually, this is my 2nd time facing this sort of situation :mad:

if you can't afford to gamble, too bad then and suck it. You will find ways around it if you really want to join company B if they offer you.. such as paying your way out of company A if you have started work there.

Nik 15-12-2014 10:41 AM

Hi, would like to check. Usually, does a 6-month contract include CPF? Or is it because if I'm not permanent staff + under temp contract, means no CPF?

Tks!

samantha_wong 15-12-2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60066)
Hi, would like to check. Usually, does a 6-month contract include CPF? Or is it because if I'm not permanent staff + under temp contract, means no CPF?

Tks!

Any employment in Singapore - 6 mth contract, perm, probation - attracts CPF.

Unregistered 15-12-2014 04:54 PM

temp or part time all is eligible for CPF as long as your pay is over 500$ if you are above a certain age. even 7$/hr job is eligible for CPF if pay is >500$

ethanbrooks 15-12-2014 05:04 PM

Economic Stimulus

Paying your bills on time is not that easy if you are not financially stable. You should have a stable job in order to pay for your bills right away. After the release of August's dismal jobs report, the Federal Reserve said that it would think about further efforts to jump-start the nation's economic recovery. Thurs, its plans for that economic stimulation effort were made public. Get a cash advance to help pay for things while you are looking for a job. You should try visiting our website right now and check it out what type of financial help you need. You should try availing a cash advance right now and you will be able to pay your bills on time.

Nik 15-12-2014 11:58 PM

Ok guys, some updates.

I signed the contract with Company A, and will be starting work next week.

Company B just replied today saying they received my test assignment, and I've told them previously to let me know the outcome regardless of whether they accept or reject me. Essentially, Company B is not in a rush to hire, so they're taking their time with their slow emails etc.

Now, should I email Company B and let them know that I'm starting work at Company A soon and if possible, let me know the outcome by this week?

I wonder if this will piss them off as no one likes to be reminded or hurried, or should I just an-bing-bu-dong (let your troops stay still and wait for next move by opposite side)?

Tks!

Unregistered 16-12-2014 12:04 AM

congratulations!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60082)
Ok guys, some updates.

I signed the contract with Company A, and will be starting work next week.

Company B just replied today saying they received my test assignment, and I've told them previously to let me know the outcome regardless of whether they accept or reject me. Essentially, Company B is not in a rush to hire, so they're taking their time with their slow emails etc.

Now, should I email Company B and let them know that I'm starting work at Company A soon and if possible, let me know the outcome by this week?

I wonder if this will piss them off as no one likes to be reminded or hurried, or should I just an-bing-bu-dong (let your troops stay still and wait for next move by opposite side)?

Tks!

You found a job with Co A. Good luck.
Ignore Co B for now. Most managers will be on leave anyway. If they need you, they will contact you in 2015. Contacting them might piss them off. If they do contact you in 2015, you can again wait your options.
Happy holidays.

LynnYSG 16-12-2014 08:37 PM

Nik,

Congrats on your new role in Company A!
To your question, my advice would be to drop Company B a note along the following lines instead:
#1 Thank them for giving you the opportunity to interview with them
#2 However, you have already received another offer and will be starting work next week
#3 You advise that you would appreciate it if you can keep in touch with the hiring manager as you love the work that they do.
#4 If there should be other opportunities in the future where they are in need of creative talent, they can feel free to get in touch with you as well.

There are a couple of reasons why responding this way can be advantageous for you:
- Your career is a marathon so your reputation is everything, especially when you consider that every industry can be relatively small one with a few key players, especially the creative industry which you are in. If you give Company B the impression that once and if they offer you the role, you are willing to quit Company A, it may give them the wrong impression about your integrity and that strategy could easily backfire on you.

- With #1 and #2, you are providing them an update on your situation in a professional manner.

- With #3, you are creating a way for you to continue networking with them for the right reasons, that you like the work they do. Flattering them in a sincere way will appeal to most people and keep you at the top of their mind.

- With #4, you are subtly positioning yourself as creative talent, which enhances your perceived value, while reiterating in a non-desperate way that you are open to working with them in future.

Hope that helps!

Lynn

Nik 16-12-2014 11:04 PM

Hi Lynn!

Tks and noted on your advice! :)

Unregistered 16-12-2014 11:56 PM

I screwed up my job interview today...

I couldn't sleep last night because it was the first job interview since I was retrenched 2 months ago.

And i screwed it up.. I was very nervous and I couldn't do the "Corporate speak"..

On the back of this news, My university friend is being relocated to New york for work, company granted him a at least US$500,000 stock grant.

Unregistered 17-12-2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60124)
I screwed up my job interview today...

I couldn't sleep last night because it was the first job interview since I was retrenched 2 months ago.

And i screwed it up.. I was very nervous and I couldn't do the "Corporate speak"..

On the back of this news, My university friend is being relocated to New york for work, company granted him a at least US$500,000 stock grant.

Stock grant or stock option? There is a big difference. Also, what is the vesting period/conditions like? As with all things, don't look at the surface and assume it is all rainbows and unicorns. Unless you know all the details, it may not actually be as wonderful as it seems. There is no free lunch.

Unregistered 19-12-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 60156)
Stock grant or stock option? There is a big difference. Also, what is the vesting period/conditions like? As with all things, don't look at the surface and assume it is all rainbows and unicorns. Unless you know all the details, it may not actually be as wonderful as it seems. There is no free lunch.

He did mention for the period he was there which was 2 years i think .. some people are just lucky. Can see his life improved like he dare to buy a firsthand $7000 rolex to wear. only 29 years old. I

Nik 25-12-2014 10:51 PM

Hi guys, I'm the original starter of this thread.

Just an update. It seems I screwed up again. Long story short, I got the job at Company A last week, but the thing is : The job is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what the job description on jobstreet says, and also different from what the interviewer says. In short, it's like a programmer who got a job, only to realize the job is an admin assistant, filing documents and all that stuff. Just an analogy.

I'm definitely going to start hunting for jobs again while working at this, no questions asked. Only thing is: should I put this current job on my resume?
Wouldn't potential employers ask "Why do you want to quit after working only 1 week there?"

Or is it better to leave it out completely?

I think my problem is being impatient and accepting job offers too fast, but then, with this sort of misleading interviewer and job ad, the company is also 50% at fault.

Pls advise. Tks!
Nik

Unregistered 25-12-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60497)
Hi guys, I'm the original starter of this thread.

Just an update. It seems I screwed up again. Long story short, I got the job at Company A last week, but the thing is : The job is TOTALLY DIFFERENT from what the job description on jobstreet says, and also different from what the interviewer says. In short, it's like a programmer who got a job, only to realize the job is an admin assistant, filing documents and all that stuff. Just an analogy.

I'm definitely going to start hunting for jobs again while working at this, no questions asked. Only thing is: should I put this current job on my resume?
Wouldn't potential employers ask "Why do you want to quit after working only 1 week there?"

Or is it better to leave it out completely?

I think my problem is being impatient and accepting job offers too fast, but then, with this sort of misleading interviewer and job ad, the company is also 50% at fault.

Pls advise. Tks!
Nik

Just a question, how many jobs did you change this year already?

Nik 25-12-2014 11:45 PM

This current one is my 2nd one. Pls advise. Tks!

Unregistered 25-12-2014 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60500)
This current one is my 2nd one. Pls advise. Tks!

I will probably leave it out. But if the current industry you are in is small and the people do know one another, you will be seen as a serial job hopper. Hope you do get lucky and find the job that you really want.

Nik 25-12-2014 11:52 PM

Tks! But should I leave it in, but instead of putting the company name, I just put "Company Confidential"?

Or should I write something like "working for friend's start-up" or some other fluff? Tks!

Unregistered 26-12-2014 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60502)
Tks! But should I leave it in, but instead of putting the company name, I just put "Company Confidential"?

Or should I write something like "working for friend's start-up" or some other fluff? Tks!

Nope, you will have more questions to answer and you will have to cook something up which will be bad if your story isn't consistent and the interviewer expose your lies.

Just say you went for a holiday.

Nik 26-12-2014 12:05 AM

Ok tks! But if I really got an interviewer, what am I gonna tell the interviewer? That is it ok to have the interview at 7 pm? (cos my current job ends at 6.30)

Unregistered 26-12-2014 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60505)
Ok tks! But if I really got an interviewer, what am I gonna tell the interviewer? That is it ok to have the interview at 7 pm? (cos my current job ends at 6.30)

If you are determined to leave your current job, just take MC and go in the morning.

Once i hated my job and was determined to leave, I took MC early morning so that I could go for interview later. If you are determined and hungry enough, you will do whatever it takes just to go for the interview

Nik 26-12-2014 12:23 AM

Ok tks a lot for the advice! Have sent out a couple applications.

Unregistered 26-12-2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 60507)
Ok tks a lot for the advice! Have sent out a couple applications.

All the best and do update if you manage to find your dream job

Nik 26-12-2014 12:39 AM

No prob, although usually for every 10 applications I send out, I'll get 2 - 3 interviews. Out of 2 - 3 interviews, usually there'll be 1 job. So essentially, 1 job for every 10 interviews on average. :D

Nik 06-01-2015 11:12 PM

Hi all,

Just an update. Currently on week 2 of my new job (the same one mentioned in my last few posts above). So far so good, but I've an interview this friday after working hours, and will be going down to see what happens.

One thing I'm curious about is : when the job ad says "pleasant working environment", what does it mean?

Also, I notice the companies who put "fast-paced environment" always are truly high-pressure fast-paced environments, but if they didn't make any hint or mention of this, then it pretty much means it's a normal-pace culture?

Tks,
Nik

Unregistered 07-01-2015 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 61069)
Hi all,

Just an update. Currently on week 2 of my new job (the same one mentioned in my last few posts above). So far so good, but I've an interview this friday after working hours, and will be going down to see what happens.

One thing I'm curious about is : when the job ad says "pleasant working environment", what does it mean?

Also, I notice the companies who put "fast-paced environment" always are truly high-pressure fast-paced environments, but if they didn't make any hint or mention of this, then it pretty much means it's a normal-pace culture?

Tks,
Nik

It depends

Unregistered 07-01-2015 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 61069)
Hi all,

Tks,
Nik

90% accurate. They have no reason to lie.

Nik 31-01-2015 04:49 PM

Hi guys, some updates here.

While working at this current crappy job for the past 1 month and my job scope consists of doing everything unrelated to my position (ie: imagine you're engineer / accountant and they ask you go warehouse pack goods from morning to night), I've finally got a job offer at a dream company.

Will be resigning on Monday. What I would like to know is: if my current employer asks me which company I'm going to work for next, should I tell them the truth? Can I not? Or should I list down a few names and tell them I might be going to any one of those?

Might be rude to keep silent if they try to press, which is the nature of this current company. Personally, I rather not say, but well...

Unregistered 01-02-2015 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 62124)

While working at this current crappy job for the past 1 month and my job scope consists of doing everything unrelated to my position (ie: imagine you're engineer / accountant and they ask you go warehouse pack goods from morning to night), I've finally got a job offer at a dream company.

Will be resigning on Monday. What I would like to know is: if my current employer asks me which company I'm going to work for next, should I tell them the truth? Can I not? Or should I list down a few names and tell them I might be going to any one of those?

Might be rude to keep silent if they try to press, which is the nature of this current company. Personally, I rather not say, but well...

Tell them you still exploring your options and you prefer not to reveal until things are more firmed up? Or just dont reply till you already joined that company (in case they jeopardize your job offer by bad mouthing you to them)

Unregistered 01-02-2015 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 62124)

I would resign only after signing on the dotted lines for the new job if I were you.

Frankly, you can say anything or choose not to say at all I guess?

Nik 01-02-2015 04:51 PM

Hi, yes, I've already signed on the letter of offer before I tender my resignation tomorrow. Life feels so good. Wonder what my supervisor's / boss's reaction will be. I really hate the resign process due to drama involved usually.

Unregistered 01-02-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik (Post 62154)
Hi, yes, I've already signed on the letter of offer before I tender my resignation tomorrow. Life feels so good. Wonder what my supervisor's / boss's reaction will be. I really hate the resign process due to drama involved usually.

So far so good then!

Nik 01-02-2015 04:58 PM

Haha, tks! :)(