Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   DBS Management Associate Program 2015 (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/4552-dbs-management-associate-program-2015-a.html)

Unregistered 04-08-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143223)
And while we’re at that we can also get the techies to do financial modeling and forecast project budgets, create go-to-market strategies for digibank in a new Indian city, and market their new digiPortfolio product here in SG!

Don't make it sound damn hard please, just because you went to school and learnt a bit of excel.

The fact of the matter is: Those skills were more prized twenty years ago when not many had an education. These days anyone can learn them easily, even online! The barriers of entry to education have shifted as such.

Unregistered 04-08-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143243)
Don't make it sound damn hard please, just because you went to school and learnt a bit of excel.

The fact of the matter is: Those skills were more prized twenty years ago when not many had an education. These days anyone can learn them easily, even online! The barriers of entry to education have shifted as such.

lmao. by your logic the same could be said of any post-secondary discipline/training. I didn't say anything about "it" being damn hard, and by "it" I'm assuming you're referring to post-grad education. I was just saying that techies are not know-it-all and it's not just about merely "improving systems".

btw, if you're doubting the relevance/credibility of tertiary education what are you doing here being concerned and commenting on DBS' postgraduate program?

Unregistered 06-08-2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143254)
lmao. by your logic the same could be said of any post-secondary discipline/training. I didn't say anything about "it" being damn hard, and by "it" I'm assuming you're referring to post-grad education. I was just saying that techies are not know-it-all and it's not just about merely "improving systems".

btw, if you're doubting the relevance/credibility of tertiary education what are you doing here being concerned and commenting on DBS' postgraduate program?

stfu pretentious ****

Unregistered 07-08-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143254)

Frankly speaking, I'm not even sure if an MBA grad has much advantage over a fresh grad who has done multiple internships in finance, apart from maybe a few years of work experience in an unrelated field.

The MBA premium in Asia is simply not there compared to the US. Employers don't want to pay you money simply because you went to biz school. Hope people can come to terms with this. They are willing to make you an offer, but you have to go in and prove your worth before you get a pay rise.

Why would any company pay you 10k right off the bat?

Unregistered 07-08-2020 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143455)
Frankly speaking, I'm not even sure if an MBA grad has much advantage over a fresh grad who has done multiple internships in finance, apart from maybe a few years of work experience in an unrelated field.

The MBA premium in Asia is simply not there compared to the US. Employers don't want to pay you money simply because you went to biz school. Hope people can come to terms with this. They are willing to make you an offer, but you have to go in and prove your worth before you get a pay rise.

Why would any company pay you 10k right off the bat?

Then DBS should not intoduce such a program by only selecting MBA with 3+ yrs exp; bachelor degree with internships suffices, so can defin pay lower.

MBAs know their values btw.

Unregistered 07-08-2020 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143467)
Then DBS should not intoduce such a program by only selecting MBA with 3+ yrs exp; bachelor degree with internships suffices, so can defin pay lower.

Precisely, that guy is just bitter he doesn't have an MBA

Unregistered 08-08-2020 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143467)

Told you already, they hire MBAs to give them a chance. But the MBAs have to go in and prove their worth before asking for more money. It's that simple.

Your MBA, if considered in isolation, is not worth a whole lot, unless it is from a top-ranked business school where employers compete to get the best-of-the-best.

Value, as you learnt in corporate finance class, is a subjective concept, dependent on many factors and assumptions (including the current abysmal state of the economy).

Unregistered 08-08-2020 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143470)
Precisely, that guy is just bitter he doesn't have an MBA

There are many things one can be bitter about, such as getting a sub par PSLE score or receiving poor O level grades. But lacking an MBA seldom falls into this category.

sinkingfeeling 08-08-2020 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143511)
There are many things one can be bitter about, such as getting a sub par PSLE score or receiving poor O level grades. But lacking an MBA seldom falls into this category.

I am bitter that I CMI at PSLE and O levels, compared to my ex classmates who now easily hold 2-3 degrees (including MBAs) with actual value and work in well paying jobs :(

So it's not mutually exclusive :(

Unregistered 09-08-2020 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143510)
Told you already, they hire MBAs to give them a chance. But the MBAs have to go in and prove their worth before asking for more money. It's that simple.

Your MBA, if considered in isolation, is not worth a whole lot, unless it is from a top-ranked business school where employers compete to get the best-of-the-best.

Value, as you learnt in corporate finance class, is a subjective concept, dependent on many factors and assumptions (including the current abysmal state of the economy).

so short-sighted, wow, ppl be careful lol

when u r recruiting mbas n promising a competitive salary, turn out it's a lowball and say "oh we give u a chance, degree doesn't do u a favour, ya, now u just worth that much"

WOW