Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in! (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/3243-aml-compliance-kyc-professionals-come.html)

kenalowballed 04-06-2019 08:11 PM

Anyone can advice?
I am diploma holder and have been doing credit admin for about a year now
Currently drawing $2250 and I want to do Compliance but most of these roles are for degree holders only.

I tried applying for KYC/CDD roles but most of these are just the outsourced name screening functions and only offer me 1.8k-2k citing that my experience is not relevant. Is it worth taking these roles if I want to go into compliance?
I am intending to quit my job too because I have to frequently OT and it's not suitable for me when I am studying part time.

Unregistered 08-06-2019 03:03 PM

Career switch to compliance. Please advise?

Hi,
I need some advice in venturing into a compliance career.

A little background:
6-7 years of experience in fund operations and accounting in am, never work in a bank before
Pursuing ICA advanced cert now
Salary is about 4k

Fund ops has already no or little progression so I'm hoping to see if I could maybe do a switch into AML compliance. Any advice on:
What kind of roles should I focus on as a start (AML TM, KYC/CDD and etc)?
Based on my ops experience, what are my chances to get an AML compliance job in am/bank and the pay that I can expect?
Any particular difference in the compliance role in am and bank?

Many thanks in advance!

newbie94 13-06-2019 01:04 AM

Fresh grad from a local uni looking for job here. If there are any recruiters with lobang out there, please take PM me! I've done 3 months of AML screening before.

Unregistered 25-06-2019 07:05 PM

I am planning to take Skillsfuture course to study Banking like AML/compliance. Some of the courses I pull out are taught in SIM. I have a private degree in biomedical science but interested in banking. Do you guys think it is worth it take up on this course? I have contacted the lecturer who is teaching the courses and they were very vague and I feel that it might not be useful. I just want to boost my resume.

Unregistered 26-06-2019 11:05 AM

just wondering for those switching to compliance without relevant exp, how much should I expect if I am taking a contract role? Will they take into account for my 2 years work exp or just treat me the same as a fresh grad?

Unregistered 29-06-2019 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 118529)
you sure don't sound like a 40 year old head/senior exec...

well, im well over 40 actually. but then again, some of those from my batch are still officers, while some others like myself, made it to regional heads.

Unregistered 29-06-2019 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 120895)
I am planning to take Skillsfuture course to study Banking like AML/compliance. Some of the courses I pull out are taught in SIM. I have a private degree in biomedical science but interested in banking. Do you guys think it is worth it take up on this course? I have contacted the lecturer who is teaching the courses and they were very vague and I feel that it might not be useful. I just want to boost my resume.

Take ACAMS or ICA courses, those teaching the courses in SIM might not even have any actual experience as Compliance officers themselves. Theory aint going to help when you go for interviews.

Unregistered 30-06-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenalowballed (Post 119981)
Anyone can advice?
I am diploma holder and have been doing credit admin for about a year now
Currently drawing $2250 and I want to do Compliance but most of these roles are for degree holders only.

I tried applying for KYC/CDD roles but most of these are just the outsourced name screening functions and only offer me 1.8k-2k citing that my experience is not relevant. Is it worth taking these roles if I want to go into compliance?
I am intending to quit my job too because I have to frequently OT and it's not suitable for me when I am studying part time.

I feel that name screening will soon be outsourced to countries such as India where the cost would be lower and not much learning potential I feel. But if you're determined to do KYC in the future, just keep applying and be open to contract jobs!

Unregistered 30-06-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 120920)
just wondering for those switching to compliance without relevant exp, how much should I expect if I am taking a contract role? Will they take into account for my 2 years work exp or just treat me the same as a fresh grad?

If your 2 years work exp is relevant, I feel that it will make you an attractive candidate to hire. If it is not, the learning curve is gonna be steep and you might as well be a fresh grad

Unregistered 01-07-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 121106)
I feel that name screening will soon be outsourced to countries such as India where the cost would be lower and not much learning potential I feel. But if you're determined to do KYC in the future, just keep applying and be open to contract jobs!

I would like to do compliance eventually but I am still a diploma holder and most positions I see that are not name screening or alerts disposition are only available to degree holders.