Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 28-06-2023 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250665)
I can foresee when you are in your 50s and gotten retrenched, you will do the same thing again and become an annoying evil lao ah pek.

I can foresee you in your deathbed, regretting why u worked so hard and still end up with low pay and morale

Unregistered 28-06-2023 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250777)
It really sounds like you're the cunt in this story

isn't it obviously? took you long enough

Unregistered 01-07-2023 10:43 PM

jobless: 10months
did not take up the recontract offer after contract end, decided to take a break first after travelling is open up after covid. lucky for me, im single with no commitments and parents are still healthy.

Unregistered 01-07-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251170)
did not take up the recontract offer after contract end, decided to take a break first after travelling is open up after covid. lucky for me, im single with no commitments and parents are still healthy.

Dangerous. You might end up chronically jobless as employers dislike seeing gaps in the resume.

Unregistered 04-07-2023 02:10 AM

And so, I just got placed on a 3 month performance improvement programme.

Can i considered myself as retrenched..
Should i just quit.

Unregistered 04-07-2023 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251488)
And so, I just got placed on a 3 month performance improvement programme.

Can i considered myself as retrenched..
Should i just quit.

A PIP is supposedly a programme to help underperformers improve. However in reality, it is generally used as a step for the company to generate solid proof that you CMI in your role before firing you, so that you won't have a case against them for unfair dismissal.

Given the above, you can consider yourself fired instead of retrenched. There are usually benefits and compensation that come with retrenchment but not a sacking.

Best to start your job hunt now while collecting 3 more months of pay. Good luck.

Unregistered 04-07-2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251171)
Dangerous. You might end up chronically jobless as employers dislike seeing gaps in the resume.

no choice. younger brother passed away due to suicide, so had to manage my parents,bring them holidays to散心abit and also to spent more times with them.

if cannot find job, at most go do grabfood, lower expectations in daily life. :)

Unregistered 04-07-2023 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251505)
A PIP is supposedly a programme to help underperformers improve. However in reality, it is generally used as a step for the company to generate solid proof that you CMI in your role before firing you, so that you won't have a case against them for unfair dismissal.

Given the above, you can consider yourself fired instead of retrenched. There are usually benefits and compensation that come with retrenchment but not a sacking.

Best to start your job hunt now while collecting 3 more months of pay. Good luck.

Hey there, cheer up! I survived a PIP placement period. U can do it. Stay focus.

Unregistered 04-07-2023 08:40 PM

Quote:

How about studying?

Unregistered 06-07-2023 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 250799)
I can foresee you in your deathbed, regretting why u worked so hard and still end up with low pay and morale

By then I will have fat savings and with that higher morale. Or you saying I have no life to spend ? lol

Unregistered 06-07-2023 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251585)
How about studying?

He should be doing at least some part time job.

Unregistered 06-07-2023 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251506)
no choice. younger brother passed away due to suicide, so had to manage my parents,bring them holidays to散心abit and also to spent more times with them.

if cannot find job, at most go do grabfood, lower expectations in daily life. :)

Sounds tough. Good to have substantial savings before retirement age. Singapore should not have another future single elderly dying alone in their one room rental unit.

Unregistered 07-07-2023 01:19 PM

Prostitution

Just do onlyfans or sell your body. easy money.

Unregistered 09-07-2023 12:07 AM

Quote:

I'm also at a similar position.
40 years old. Quitting my new job after joining for 6 months by the end of this month due to mental stress.
I'm married with no kids. Wife earns enough to spend herself
We live in HDB with existing loan of $240k and no car. We don't spend alot other occassional holidays and food.
I have $170k cash savings and a further $20k in investments
Taking a year or two off but am worried about finding a new job.
Worse comes to worse will resort self employed jobs like property agent or financial consultant

Unregistered 09-07-2023 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251733)
Sounds tough. Good to have substantial savings before retirement age. Singapore should not have another future single elderly dying alone in their one room rental unit.

Honestly one should consider retiring in malaysia.
Way things are going with inflation in singapore only the rich with at least $5m savings can afford to retire in Singapore. Otherwise you're better off renting out your HDB and living off your HDB rental in Malaysia. Average 4 room flat in singapore can be rented out for $3k p.m. which would translate to myr10.3k per month which is decent in malaysia

Unregistered 10-07-2023 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251732)
He should be doing at least some part time job.

not doing any part time. but still attending some skillsfuture courses.

Unregistered 10-07-2023 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 251883)
40 years old. Quitting my new job after joining for 6 months by the end of this month due to mental stress.
We live in HDB with existing loan of $240k and no car. We don't spend alot other occassional holidays and food.
Worse comes to worse will resort self employed jobs like property agent or financial consultant

once quit at a certain age hard to find job thanks to open leg policy. i will work as grab driver hard in some months and travel some months every year.

Unregistered 11-07-2023 04:55 PM

Quote:

If you are worried you cannot find a job in the future, why quit your job without coming out with a plan in the first place?
Worrying something yet to happen can let own self goes into depression.
After age 40, within the period of 11 years, I quit 4 jobs. However, I did not secure any job in advance prior I resigned.
Those jobs I accepted after age 40, I was still given good salary increment, even though I was already jobless.
I could be fortunate in my job hunting, but importantly must able to think positively and cannot be rigid in thinking. All roads lead to Rome.

Unregistered 13-07-2023 03:53 PM

Quote:

Find a lesser stress job instead of taking a 1 , 2 years break.

Unregistered 16-07-2023 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 252019)
If you are worried you cannot find a job in the future, why quit your job without coming out with a plan in the first place?
Worrying something yet to happen can let own self goes into depression.
After age 40, within the period of 11 years, I quit 4 jobs. However, I did not secure any job in advance prior I resigned.
Those jobs I accepted after age 40, I was still given good salary increment, even though I was already jobless.
I could be fortunate in my job hunting, but importantly must able to think positively and cannot be rigid in thinking. All roads lead to Rome.

Staying in my current job is causing me mental and physical health issues. Already my blood pressure is 150/95, chest tightness at times, anxiety issues and sleepless night. Go on for a few more months i scared I'll die of heart attack. I don't think its worth dying for the company even though it pays ok.

Unregistered 16-07-2023 04:48 PM

Quote:

Your backup plan is flawed. Property agent is an extremely difficult line to stay in. Roughly 80% of the sales/deals are done by 20% of the agents. Saw the data a few years back. Property agents easily spent $8000 on ads every month to chase down leads and deals. Financial consultant needs a lot of networking and legwork. This is not a line you jump in as a "retirement job".

170K in Cash? Er...., no hard feelings but I don't think you are suitable as a financial consultant.

Unregistered 17-07-2023 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 252290)
Staying in my current job is causing me mental and physical health issues. Already my blood pressure is 150/95, chest tightness at times, anxiety issues and sleepless night. Go on for a few more months i scared I'll die of heart attack. I don't think its worth dying for the company even though it pays ok.

According to what you had written. words like "worried" , "scared" are quite negative words. Frankly, your mindset needs to change to positive first. I had also gone through a national crisis and concurrently, I was also the sole care giver at home for a period of 5 years. I did not have personal time to talk about. During the national crisis, I still needed to work like mad "no day no night" for almost a year when I was already age 48. Theoretically no weekends and public holidays for me. I also had chest tightness then.

You have to learn how to handle stressful situations and be positive always. I believe you can choose to take long leave or discuss with your HR/bosses to take sabbatical leave before deciding to resign as you do not have confidence to find another job in the future. Take the time to recharge and change the ways how you work and your mindset. My view is no positive mindset you will not go far.

Unregistered 18-07-2023 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 252344)
According to what you had written. words like "worried" , "scared" are quite negative words. Frankly, your mindset needs to change to positive first. I had also gone through a national crisis and concurrently, I was also the sole care giver at home for a period of 5 years. I did not have personal time to talk about. During the national crisis, I still needed to work like mad "no day no night" for almost a year when I was already age 48. Theoretically no weekends and public holidays for me. I also had chest tightness then.

You have to learn how to handle stressful situations and be positive always. I believe you can choose to take long leave or discuss with your HR/bosses to take sabbatical leave before deciding to resign as you do not have confidence to find another job in the future. Take the time to recharge and change the ways how you work and your mindset. My view is no positive mindset you will not go far.

Thank you for the advice
Yes, this break will enable me to recharge and regain my confidence and positivity
That, i am sure. You are right. Having the right mindset is paramount foundation to sucess.

Unregistered 19-07-2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Get yourself a legit normal job that pays you monthly salary. 'Self employed' jobs are not for everyone. You think being property agent/ financial consultation will make you earn big bucks ? The reality will give you cardiac arrest fast.

Unregistered 20-07-2023 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 252453)
Get yourself a legit normal job that pays you monthly salary. 'Self employed' jobs are not for everyone. You think being property agent/ financial consultation will make you earn big bucks ? The reality will give you cardiac arrest fast.

Can you share your experience?

Unregistered 06-09-2023 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 252493)
Can you share your experience?

It is like a person start own business to be 'self employed' only to close the shop after 6 mths. From your post, yes, I agree with another poster. With cash $170k and you said you want to be Financial Consultant. Sorry, the way you handle your own financial shows that you are both naive and think too highly of your capability.

Unregistered 09-09-2023 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255323)
It is like a person start own business to be 'self employed' only to close the shop after 6 mths. From your post, yes, I agree with another poster. With cash $170k and you said you want to be Financial Consultant. Sorry, the way you handle your own financial shows that you are both naive and think too highly of your capability.

I'm not OP but what's wrong with holding cash? Esp when he/she is jobless?

Unregistered 10-09-2023 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255554)
I'm not OP but what's wrong with holding cash? Esp when he/she is jobless?

Having cash as an asset is not a problem. However, having too much cash as an asset potentially is.

Currently, given the high interest rate environment, there are a lot more safe assets that a person can invest in.

Cash is good if you are putting in certain bank accounts like UOB ONE or OCBC 360 which offer relatively high interest provided you meet their criteria. However, there are also higher yielding instruments like T-Bills and money market funds/short-term bonds (even those short-term insurance products) which may give a higher return.

There are also equities, REITs, and other riskier assets which may perform better once the interest rate environment normalises which is just a matter of time.

So, if in current environment, one is putting most of his/her assets in cash (especially if it is all in one bank which SDIC only covers up to 75k per bank), then he/she may not be particularly interested in his/her own personal finance which makes it even harder to be interested in others' financial situation.

Unregistered 10-09-2023 10:57 PM

So ... should he focus on upgrading his skillsets? how should he help himself?

Cherie 11-09-2023 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255624)
So ... should he focus on upgrading his skillsets? how should he help himself?

from my experience, upskilling definitely the way to go. i took up a couple of courses in my spare time to learn new skills then after i got some additional certifications, i got more interview calls, so maybe can try that. i would recommend FirstCom academy, got alot of courses that quite relevant today.

if any of you guys are interested,
https://www.fca.edu.sg

hope it helps!

Unregistered 11-09-2023 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 255605)
Having cash as an asset is not a problem. However, having too much cash as an asset potentially is.

Currently, given the high interest rate environment, there are a lot more safe assets that a person can invest in.

Cash is good if you are putting in certain bank accounts like UOB ONE or OCBC 360 which offer relatively high interest provided you meet their criteria. However, there are also higher yielding instruments like T-Bills and money market funds/short-term bonds (even those short-term insurance products) which may give a higher return.

There are also equities, REITs, and other riskier assets which may perform better once the interest rate environment normalises which is just a matter of time.

So, if in current environment, one is putting most of his/her assets in cash (especially if it is all in one bank which SDIC only covers up to 75k per bank), then he/she may not be particularly interested in his/her own personal finance which makes it even harder to be interested in others' financial situation.

I thought the bigger issue is why only $170k cash?

Unregistered 12-11-2023 11:19 PM

Jobless

I am looking for constructive advices. Appreciate a million. Below are my details:

Academic: Local Uni Engineering Grad + Local Uni Masters (one of the top 3 uni)
Job history:
In sales line for ~10years till 2020
2020-2023 - took a full-time masters that lasted 2.5 years
2022-Sep 2023 held a market research job for 1 year
Industry sector: non-IT/non-Finance

I did apply actively and even applied outside of my industry but to no avail.

Unregistered 13-11-2023 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260279)
I am looking for constructive advices. Appreciate a million. Below are my details:

Academic: Local Uni Engineering Grad + Local Uni Masters (one of the top 3 uni)
Job history:
In sales line for ~10years till 2020
2020-2023 - took a full-time masters that lasted 2.5 years
2022-Sep 2023 held a market research job for 1 year
Industry sector: non-IT/non-Finance

I did apply actively and even applied outside of my industry but to no avail.

Hmm before you took the master did you consider what u had wanted to do after u graduate and how ur masters would help in that? 2.5yrs full time is of very high opportunity cost and the master may or may not do any benefit to your career prospect as it's very much dependent on things like what had ur experience been, whether ur master built on top of that, and whether what u r looking for now is looking for that.

Unregistered 13-11-2023 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260312)
Hmm before you took the master did you consider what u had wanted to do after u graduate and how ur masters would help in that? 2.5yrs full time is of very high opportunity cost and the master may or may not do any benefit to your career prospect as it's very much dependent on things like what had ur experience been, whether ur master built on top of that, and whether what u r looking for now is looking for that.

Happy holiday to you.

Prior to masters, I want the masters to advance my pre-masters career. I think most sales role in my prior industry doesn't require the masters although it is good-to-have. I am not getting the few good-paying roles that has such requirement.

Unregistered 17-12-2023 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 260313)
Happy holiday to you.

Prior to masters, I want the masters to advance my pre-masters career. I think most sales role in my prior industry doesn't require the masters although it is good-to-have. I am not getting the few good-paying roles that has such requirement.

For closure. After some rejections, I finally managed to secure a surprisely good offer.

So all is not lost. I know it's difficult but Stay hopeful, Help others and good things will come.

Unregistered 18-12-2023 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263262)
For closure. After some rejections, I finally managed to secure a surprisely good offer.

So all is not lost. I know it's difficult but Stay hopeful, Help others and good things will come.

from the time u were unemployed to the landing of the final offer, how many months in total?

Unregistered 19-12-2023 11:54 AM

ok its coming to noon

Unregistered 19-12-2023 02:07 PM

A year of unemployment

Hi is anyone finding it hard to get a job in the account/finance industry? I have over 6 years of audit/account experience and a degree holder. Been unemployed for almost a year. Went for multiple interviews, send a lot of applications and yet to get any offers. Tried to even lower the salary expectations, redo my resume, and also applied to those job listings that matched my experience but no luck still. Just not knowing the reason why for the rejection as companies always ended up ghosting after the interview. Nowadays a lot of contract roles and also the processing time after interview is longer than last time. Any advise as what to do?

Unregistered 21-12-2023 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263396)
Hi is anyone finding it hard to get a job in the account/finance industry? I have over 6 years of audit/account experience and a degree holder. Been unemployed for almost a year. Went for multiple interviews, send a lot of applications and yet to get any offers. Tried to even lower the salary expectations, redo my resume, and also applied to those job listings that matched my experience but no luck still. Just not knowing the reason why for the rejection as companies always ended up ghosting after the interview. Nowadays a lot of contract roles and also the processing time after interview is longer than last time. Any advise as what to do?

accounting is flooded with jhk lah. farked up industry

Unregistered 21-12-2023 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263557)
accounting is flooded with jhk lah. farked up industry

accounting in general???