Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 26-03-2019 12:52 PM

Had more than 10 years working experience then i stopped work mid last yr as hubby was posted overseas. I'm now actively looking for job but no news at all. Not much suitable openings and only been to 2 interviews so far.. today received an offer.. money not bad but I'm totally not keen on the scope, location, company and hiring boss.. :(
They expected a reply by today! Very tight deadline. In a dilemma whether to accept since interviews with other firms have been slow, though i don't have much interest. :(

Unregistered 26-03-2019 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ambition (Post 115471)
Congrats buddy. Your field of engineering must be quite niche and you being very lucky, to jump ship annually and increase salary more than 10% each time.

I observe that people who dare to change job tend to increase salary rapidly. However the job title better be minimum some sort of manager. Operations very difficult.

I lose lot of bonus as you can see I left the companies at 2nd or 3rd Q.
Actually my engineering field is getting common now. Lucky to get those increment along the way and guess I would need to stay longer for my current job to collect back all my bonuses.

Note: the annual salary mentioned is annual package

omnia 26-03-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115484)
Had more than 10 years working experience then i stopped work mid last yr as hubby was posted overseas. I'm now actively looking for job but no news at all. Not much suitable openings and only been to 2 interviews so far.. today received an offer.. money not bad but I'm totally not keen on the scope, location, company and hiring boss.. :(
They expected a reply by today! Very tight deadline. In a dilemma whether to accept since interviews with other firms have been slow, though i don't have much interest. :(

Delay them? Ask can give more time to re-consider?

JoblessGrad 26-03-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115484)

If starting feel not right already, no point you go in, might end up quitting. Take it as a well deserved long break. Just keep looking.

Unregistered 26-03-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115486)
Actually my engineering field is getting common now. Lucky to get those increment along the way and guess I would need to stay longer for my current job to collect back all my bonuses.

what field of engineering would this be specifically? i am highly intrigued, even O&G dont pay so well within 10 years unless your are the top performer.

Unregistered 26-03-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

160k annual package if civil service it's 10k a month. If pegged to uniformed officer, it's already general salary. Very fast. I guess you were headhunted or your office pay u according to their local rates such as euro dollars or USD. Our tax is low, so if converted directly without considering local standard of living, you laugh all the way to the bank every month.

Unregistered 26-03-2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

160k annual package if civil service it's 10k a month. If pegged to uniformed officer, it's already general salary. Very fast. I guess you were headhunted or your office pay u according to their local rates such as euro dollars or USD. Our tax is low, so if converted directly without considering local standard of living, you laugh all the way to the bank every month.

Unregistered 26-03-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115500)

You are quite spot on. There are some foreign MNC that are able to pay higher salary than local and/or Asian companies. I was not headhunted though. Am just lucky to get the right job at the right time and probably lucky with interviews too.

Unregistered 26-03-2019 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 115491)
what field of engineering would this be specifically? i am highly intrigued, even O&G dont pay so well within 10 years unless your are the top performer.

I can only say that I am in the mechanical engineering area.

Unregistered 26-03-2019 07:24 PM

I have got psych degree 2:2 private but not interested in psychology career at all. I am looking for jobs like bank customer service etc. All jobs need exp and those jobs that welcome freshers with no exp salary is painstakingly low like 1.8 or lesser (wtf) and i have been jobless like almost a year since graduation. i see freshers earning 3K but i cant cope myself earning half of that. seriously why is the job market so ridiculous. my sibling moved to aus and she is earing 4K for an entry level cso job but after tax she gets like 3K. any jobline I should look into?