Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Anyone jobless for a long time before? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2271-anyone-jobless-long-time-before.html)

Unregistered 05-08-2017 10:56 PM

Hi, I am going to quit my perm job due to a terrible boss. Should I accept contract job (maybe even lower pay) in the meantime as a form of exposure and income, while looking for a perm job? Or focus only on looking for perm roles? Don't know how long it will take.
If I accept contract first, will it affect the perception of the next hiring manager and HR? What will be an acceptable reason to them for such a move?
I am mid career.

Unregistered 08-08-2017 04:27 PM

I was recently offered a contract job (it's my 2nd job after grad) in the healthcare industry. Although I graduated from local Uni, the salary I am offered is the same as my previous salary. Is this normal? Or am I getting shortchanged?

Unregistered 21-08-2017 12:37 PM

Wanna know a little secret? What if we told you, there is a perfectly legitimate and easy way for you to stay on social media and earn money at the same time?
We are a referral marketing platform called ReferOffer and we help businesses in Singapore acquire more users. Businesses list their offers on our platform and users can sign up and share these offers via direct links on any of your social media platforms! If anybody uses your link to buy a product or service, you earn a commission! Just like that!

Come on board ReferOffer and find out more!
Drop us an email at [email protected] or sign up to app.referoffer.com Today!
Why Delay? Refer Today!

Tony 25-08-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99295)
Hi, I am going to quit my perm job due to a terrible boss. Should I accept contract job (maybe even lower pay) in the meantime as a form of exposure and income, while looking for a perm job? Or focus only on looking for perm roles? Don't know how long it will take.
If I accept contract first, will it affect the perception of the next hiring manager and HR? What will be an acceptable reason to them for such a move?
I am mid career.

will be interested to explore some career opportunities?

Unregistered 02-09-2017 10:52 PM

If you had spent 4 mths looking for a job but to no avail, would you hang on or take a paycut to open up more opportunities?

Unregistered 03-09-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99952)
If you had spent 4 mths looking for a job but to no avail, would you hang on or take a paycut to open up more opportunities?

Depends on how much money you have. If your parents are supporting you or you have enough passive income for monthly expense, might as well hold on to pay and wait for proper offer.

Unregistered 03-09-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99956)
Depends on how much money you have. If your parents are supporting you or you have enough passive income for monthly expense, might as well hold on to pay and wait for proper offer.

I have savings but I have not reached a point where passive income is enough for expenses, so what will be yr suggestion?
Is taking a paycut affecting future prospects?

Unregistered 03-09-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99961)
I have savings but I have not reached a point where passive income is enough for expenses, so what will be yr suggestion?
Is taking a paycut affecting future prospects?

Then you have 2 options:

1) If your passive income is enough to get by with reasonable cuts into your living standards, might as well make the cuts and continue holding on to current pay expectations.

2) If passive income too low to sustain then it is time to lower your pay demands, otherwise when things get desperate you run out of options even worse. I know of people who keep holding on until savings nearly run out, then they start panicking and no choice take up random jobs like security, uber driver, delivery etc.

Whether you take a paycut or extend unemployment period both options will damage your CV & affect your future pay prospects to some extent. The important thing is to choose the option that causes less damage to you.

Unregistered 13-09-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 89797)
Talking about being unemployed, I'm unemployed for about 9 months before I gotten a job, went for lots and lots of interview and I remembered I had a really bad experience with one company.

I have been to a company on top of peninsula plaza for interview several months ago. It was an unforgettable experience because it was my first interview and it was so bad! The interviewer was so arrogant and he looked down on me because I'm a fresh graduate and showed zero respect for me during the interview. If you do not wish to hire fresh graduates, then do not state that you welcome fresh grads to apply! It was so shocked at that moment that someone at such respectable position will actually speak like this and disrespect the interviewee.

Thinking back of this experience still makes my blood boils!

Maybe i know who you are talking about because I had a similar experience. Does the company start with E?

Unregistered 14-09-2017 10:40 AM

Hi,
Seeking opinions. Would you accept a job that pays you lower monthly but give higher bonus, therefore total package is similar to last drawn. Or would you wait for another opportunity that could match/ pay higher on a monthly basis? Thanks.