Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   SIM-RMIT fresh grad starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2091-sim-rmit-fresh-grad-starting-pay.html)

jacquel 23-07-2012 10:40 AM

SIM-RMIT fresh grad starting pay

Hi all!

just thought of starting a thread for all fresh degree grads from RMIT (and also since i needed advice).

Local Uni grads, feel free to input your starting pay for the envy of others lol.

I like to check, for studying in Accountancy, and planning to work as an external auditor - entry level. How much will I be able to get?

Bombom 23-07-2012 01:52 PM

RMIT business management

Hello! I am 25 this year and started working at my first job 2011 April with a measly pay of $2100. I got a promotion and now my pay is $3x!

Unregistered 23-07-2012 03:01 PM

About 3.4-3.7k basic + 4-6mth bonus

Unregistered 25-07-2012 02:27 AM

External auditor in Big 4? Mid-tier or small CPA firms?

Your starting pay as a fresh grad in Big 4 will not exceed $3k for sure. You'll be looking @ 2.6-2.7K. That is if you are able to get in.

Mid-tier is between $2.2-$2.5K.

Small cpa firms - $1.8-$2k.

If you are graduating from RMIT this year, good luck in your job search. It's tough getting into audit especially for mid tiers and above.

Julie 01-08-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombom (Post 26891)
Hello! I am 25 this year and started working at my first job 2011 April with a measly pay of $2100. I got a promotion and now my pay is $3x!

apr to jul: 2100 jump to 3xxx? were u promoted to higher position or after probation?

Unregistered 03-08-2012 11:34 AM

Realistically you should be asking somewhere around $2.4k - $2.8k.

Big 4s do accept RMIT grads and starting pay and progression are same as Local grads.

Ultimately, it all depends what you want in life. Pay is not everything.

Sss 03-08-2012 02:08 PM

What about UOL SIM?

IS your jump from 2.1 to 3x in Jul 2012?
Gosh, I did not realised that external auditors are getting such high pay.

Unregistered 05-09-2012 07:05 PM

Any RMIT Biz Mgmt grads? Care to share what you guys are working as?

Unregistered 11-09-2012 12:01 PM

Biz development in O&M cables - 200k yearly incl. bonus & allowance

Unregistered 03-10-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28136)
Biz development in O&M cables - 200k yearly incl. bonus & allowance

dont talk cock pls. ppl ask abt fresh grad u quote him 200k pa. be realistic, if not prove it.

poor and stupid 03-10-2012 12:24 PM

Relax la, I am sure there are fresh grad with 200+k p.a just maybe not him, just treat it that he is posting as a proxy for those lor.

Anyway range is about right for o&m deep sea cable biz dev.

Unregistered 22-02-2014 08:42 PM

am gna be graduating soon come may/ june. and really curious as to the career progression for RMIT students (in general). anyone care to share?

Unregistered 02-03-2014 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48585)
am gna be graduating soon come may/ june. and really curious as to the career progression for RMIT students (in general). anyone care to share?

Salary wise for RMIT grad abg about 1.6- 2.2k . Prospect wise, it depends on what you are referring to. Mostly start out as assistant example of a progression would be accounts assistant> junior accounts executive> accounts executive> senior accounts executive> assistant accounting manager> accounting manager.

The example above is a typical example for accounting department in a mmc. This does not factor in being retrenched as the accounting function is being outsourced to another country or to a business support firm. On average by ard 45-50 maybe could reach assistant accounting manager if you are lucky and work really hard.

Unregistered 06-03-2014 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 48820)
Salary wise for RMIT grad abg about 1.6- 2.2k . Prospect wise, it depends on what you are referring to. Mostly start out as assistant example of a progression would be accounts assistant> junior accounts executive> accounts executive> senior accounts executive> assistant accounting manager> accounting manager.

The example above is a typical example for accounting department in a mmc. This does not factor in being retrenched as the accounting function is being outsourced to another country or to a business support firm. On average by ard 45-50 maybe could reach assistant accounting manager if you are lucky and work really hard.

i smell ********.

poly grads already drawing 1.6-2k.

Unregistered 17-04-2014 11:17 PM

Rmit graduates

I am working happily as a Finance Executive since graduation. I had manage to secure my current position with my RMIT Degree in Accountancy Degree. My starting monthly average remuneration equal to $3,400, and I do not have any work experience. Hence, I strongly believe the important aspects reflected by your work attitude, performance exceeds the degree.

Unregistered 21-05-2014 03:32 PM

i am graduating this sem from sim rmit marketing, minor in management (now waiting for my results) and just want to share my experience with job hunting

background information:

- graduated with a diploma in business IT
- have done freelance web/graphic design and can do front end developing
- have been taking up various temp and ad hoc jobs to earn extra cash but all have nothing to do with my degree

2 months before graduating, in march, i started sending resumes to find a marketing job. it was honestly not an easy feat because after sending out countless of resumes NONE of them got back to me. i then started to extend my job search to human resource and accounting, neither have they gotten back to me.

it was seriously damn demoralizing, but fortunately i still had my diploma to bank on. i then narrowed down my search to digital marketing and web design, that was when companies started getting back to me. i have gone for about 5 interviews so far, the 2nd company that i went for is a local fmcg company and they actually offered me 2.4k with about $200+ allowance, was quite tempted to take it up but in the end rejected because of the location (too ulu and far for me) and hostile work environment (could foresee dragging myself to work everyday). and that time i thought i still had a few more weeks before i finished my exam, so i wasnt in a hurry to secure a job.

after i ended my exam in mid may, i started my job search again. this time, it got even more demoralizing that i wished i took up the previous job offer. the 3rd and 4th interviews that i went for (local smes), the interviewers really put you down like no tomorrow. laughed at me when i requested for a 2.5k salary and said i should be expecting only about 2k. the recruitment consultants also called me and said i should only be expecting 1.4k, and they would try all sorts of funny methods to psycho you into accepting a lower salary jobs and that "its the market rate now".

finally came my chance, i applied for a contractual position in an mnc, and was really lucky that although the interview was a bit tricky at the start, i managed to end it off quite well (i think)(thank god for everything that i have learnt in poly). was offered a 2.4k salary with relatively good benefits and i gladly accepted it. although its just a contractual role and pay is not exceptionally exciting or fantastic compared to many people, gotta think of the long term benefits, like my next job hunt would be made easier because i will no longer be a fresh grad with no experience, company is huge and well known and at least i am not jobless for too long etc.

advice to all the undergrads, please find some part time or temp job or internship relevant to what you may be doing in the future. luck although plays quite a huge role, most interviewers will put you down and say "but you have no experience". eg, if you're applying for an accounting job, your part time sales experience will not be counted as relevant experience. especially if you're taking a very general degree, say, management, you gotta have an edge over others (why is it that they should hire a management grad over an accounts grad for an accounts position? is it because you have had exp in an accounting firm, etc)

also, you can start applying for jobs before you graduate from your course, and even if you don't get the job you at least gain some experience dealing with the interviews. my first interview was pretty damn screwed up, the previous person who went in lasted for an hour, i went in and was out in less than 10 mins LOL. and obviously i didnt get that job.

HTHS!

Unregistered 25-05-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 50650)
I am working happily as a Finance Executive since graduation. I had manage to secure my current position with my RMIT Degree in Accountancy Degree. My starting monthly average remuneration equal to $3,400, and I do not have any work experience. Hence, I strongly believe the important aspects reflected by your work attitude, performance exceeds the degree.

SIM drawing 3.5k? joke please.
Want draw 3.5 can one, you come and wash my local car, I take 3.5 throw for you.

Unregistered 29-05-2014 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51639)
i am graduating this sem from sim rmit marketing, minor in management (now waiting for my results) and just want to share my experience with job hunting

background information:

- graduated with a diploma in business IT
- have done freelance web/graphic design and can do front end developing
- have been taking up various temp and ad hoc jobs to earn extra cash but all have nothing to do with my degree

2 months before graduating, in march, i started sending resumes to find a marketing job. it was honestly not an easy feat because after sending out countless of resumes NONE of them got back to me. i then started to extend my job search to human resource and accounting, neither have they gotten back to me.

it was seriously damn demoralizing, but fortunately i still had my diploma to bank on. i then narrowed down my search to digital marketing and web design, that was when companies started getting back to me. i have gone for about 5 interviews so far, the 2nd company that i went for is a local fmcg company and they actually offered me 2.4k with about $200+ allowance, was quite tempted to take it up but in the end rejected because of the location (too ulu and far for me) and hostile work environment (could foresee dragging myself to work everyday). and that time i thought i still had a few more weeks before i finished my exam, so i wasnt in a hurry to secure a job.

after i ended my exam in mid may, i started my job search again. this time, it got even more demoralizing that i wished i took up the previous job offer. the 3rd and 4th interviews that i went for (local smes), the interviewers really put you down like no tomorrow. laughed at me when i requested for a 2.5k salary and said i should be expecting only about 2k. the recruitment consultants also called me and said i should only be expecting 1.4k, and they would try all sorts of funny methods to psycho you into accepting a lower salary jobs and that "its the market rate now".

finally came my chance, i applied for a contractual position in an mnc, and was really lucky that although the interview was a bit tricky at the start, i managed to end it off quite well (i think)(thank god for everything that i have learnt in poly). was offered a 2.4k salary with relatively good benefits and i gladly accepted it. although its just a contractual role and pay is not exceptionally exciting or fantastic compared to many people, gotta think of the long term benefits, like my next job hunt would be made easier because i will no longer be a fresh grad with no experience, company is huge and well known and at least i am not jobless for too long etc.

advice to all the undergrads, please find some part time or temp job or internship relevant to what you may be doing in the future. luck although plays quite a huge role, most interviewers will put you down and say "but you have no experience". eg, if you're applying for an accounting job, your part time sales experience will not be counted as relevant experience. especially if you're taking a very general degree, say, management, you gotta have an edge over others (why is it that they should hire a management grad over an accounts grad for an accounts position? is it because you have had exp in an accounting firm, etc)

also, you can start applying for jobs before you graduate from your course, and even if you don't get the job you at least gain some experience dealing with the interviews. my first interview was pretty damn screwed up, the previous person who went in lasted for an hour, i went in and was out in less than 10 mins LOL. and obviously i didnt get that job.

HTHS!

So which sector are u at currently? I am from sim uol business. I will be in year 3 this coming sep. I am interested to go to fmcg marketing but my degree is very general. Should i take a professional marketing course out of sim? I am currently interning in a fmcg company. Hope that u can advise. :)

Unregistered 02-06-2014 11:16 PM

Rmit accounting grad.

Working non accounting job for 3 years earning 3900.

Starting pay was 3100.

Unregistered 02-06-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 52019)
Rmit accounting grad.

Working non accounting job for 3 years earning 3900.

Starting pay was 3100.

.I should state pay is important to me n accounting jobs that I was offered were from the range 1800 to 2700 no bonus mostly.. affter a diploma I was bring offered 2500 and with additional studying I knew I wanted more than 2500.

raonrayen 07-06-2014 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51896)
So which sector are u at currently? I am from sim uol business. I will be in year 3 this coming sep. I am interested to go to fmcg marketing but my degree is very general. Should i take a professional marketing course out of sim? I am currently interning in a fmcg company. Hope that u can advise. :)

U have a gd headstart already...try to secure for full time position & perform during your internship...myself being a marketing grad..wrote in unsolicited and was called for a interview with this pretty prominent Japanese FMCG firm for interview..but eventually they told me for marketing position,they require candidate with RELEVANT experience of at least 3 years, they could only offer me a logistics role..:( In the end, i said no.

Unregistered 09-06-2014 11:26 AM

fellow brothers of pte degree education, just a heads up. dont get your hopes too high, i'm from uol, grad with 2nd upper in banking. our degree is ****, so dont expect the 'get good grades get high paying job and fly upwards' story to fall into place. lol, if u r lucky, u get into a firm with alot of financial benefits, good package (3-7months) bonus, with a decent basic. the basic salary range among my friends and i, ranges from 2.3K - 3.5K, with most of them earning below 3K. lol, sorry to spoil your dreams, believe it or not, this is true at least in the finance side.

Unregistered 09-06-2014 10:53 PM

I landed a HR job with an accounting firm almost immediately after graduation late last year.
But I chose to leave after 4mths+ as I was not promised of a salary adjustment after probation ended. The department culture was bad and the learning curve (HR) was lower than expected, hence contributing to my resignation.

Took a break and decided to look for better opportunities but to no avail.
Have been attending interviews with the ministry/stats board and private firms, but sadly no news.

currently pending outcomes with the public service and the labor union.
hopefully the future is bright... ...

Unregistered 11-07-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 51736)
SIM drawing 3.5k? joke please.
Want draw 3.5 can one, you come and wash my local car, I take 3.5 throw for you.

Agree I 3.5 k seems unbelievable. I have just started work for 1 year armed with a rmit degree with distinction and only drawing gross pay of abt $2.9 k per month

Unregistered 14-07-2014 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53289)
Agree I 3.5 k seems unbelievable. I have just started work for 1 year armed with a rmit degree with distinction and only drawing gross pay of abt $2.9 k per month

^dumb and dumber. If you get into the right company, under the right circumstances, you will be able to fetch above 3K for a start. I secured a job before the 2nd interview date for a particular firm, and hence, cancelled the 2nd interview on purpose. when questioned why, i told them i have secured another job. They insisted that i go down, i went. During the interview, they asked about the company i've signed with, and the package i was offered. During the 3rd round i was offered an improved compensation and was asked to withdraw from the company i've signed. This is how timing plays a part in your job search. I'm a uol graduate, i'm drawing 3.47K. That being said, of course you need to be able to perform during interviews.

Theodore 14-07-2014 07:40 PM

Hi 42 year old this year. Run my own business and a part time trader and investor.

-230k p.a
-3 condos in sg (2 fully paid for, 3rd one in 2 years time)
-2 cars.

Unregistered 14-07-2014 10:44 PM

WRONG thread for showing off lah.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Theodore (Post 53382)
Hi 42 year old this year. Run my own business and a part time trader and investor.

-230k p.a
-3 condos in sg (2 fully paid for, 3rd one in 2 years time)
-2 cars.

raonrayen 14-07-2014 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53377)
^dumb and dumber. If you get into the right company, under the right circumstances, you will be able to fetch above 3K for a start. I secured a job before the 2nd interview date for a particular firm, and hence, cancelled the 2nd interview on purpose. when questioned why, i told them i have secured another job. They insisted that i go down, i went. During the interview, they asked about the company i've signed with, and the package i was offered. During the 3rd round i was offered an improved compensation and was asked to withdraw from the company i've signed. This is how timing plays a part in your job search. I'm a uol graduate, i'm drawing 3.47K. That being said, of course you need to be able to perform during interviews.

hi there, care to share whats your job function and industry that your company is operating in?..MNC or SME>

Unregistered 15-07-2014 10:08 AM

i'm in an fi. risk and compliance.

Unregistered 15-07-2014 02:42 PM

Grad 2 years ago frm sim biz management
Currently working as a yearly contract accounts assistant dawing 1.8/mth
Pretty demoralising to see fresh local uni grads being parachuted to assistant manager position while I am still on a rolling renewable contract. Have been looking around for better prospects however results still points to account assistant roles.
From my experience, my words for aspiring students would be to work for experience before settling down on a degree. Really envy my poly mates who did not further their education doing well in engineering and IT field earning 3k/ mth woth their diploma and experience.
As for those currently pursuing their private degrees, it would be good to taper down your expectations in job scope, industry and salary. Degree holders are now like O levels. Instead be contented with life then being obessed with being successful. Although i do feel depressed seeing individuals doing well, overall I am rather contented with my life.

Unregistered 16-07-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53414)
Grad 2 years ago frm sim biz management
Currently working as a yearly contract accounts assistant dawing 1.8/mth
Pretty demoralising to see fresh local uni grads being parachuted to assistant manager position while I am still on a rolling renewable contract. Have been looking around for better prospects however results still points to account assistant roles.
From my experience, my words for aspiring students would be to work for experience before settling down on a degree. Really envy my poly mates who did not further their education doing well in engineering and IT field earning 3k/ mth woth their diploma and experience.
As for those currently pursuing their private degrees, it would be good to taper down your expectations in job scope, industry and salary. Degree holders are now like O levels. Instead be contented with life then being obessed with being successful. Although i do feel depressed seeing individuals doing well, overall I am rather contented with my life.

General biz degree? i think that may be the problem..as it is too generalised, that is why you can't secure a full fledged accounting role that will command u at least a 2k + salary.My friends who did accounting in SIM are the lot who get their jobs the fastest once they start their job search as accounting jobs are in demand and aplenty, firms are quite keen to take freshies as well.

Unregistered 16-07-2014 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53377)

I bagged your Mum for the 3rd time too after she insisted that I come over for a good time when I said another woman was offering better F*** than her.

Unregistered 16-07-2014 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53458)
I bagged your Mum for the 3rd time too after she insisted that I come over for a good time when I said another woman was offering better F*** than her.

lol. low achiever. things you cant get does not mean someone else can't too.

Unregistered 16-07-2014 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53459)
lol. low achiever. things you cant get does not mean someone else can't too.

You need to really perform well for the bagging during the 3rd round. Not everyone can do it. LOL

Kopi 29-07-2014 01:01 PM

I have a friend graduated from RMIT Marketing, very poor results with 2 failed modules required to retake.

Currently drawing 2500 for 1 year training phase before the pay to be revised. Big MNC, so I guess, taking a humble pay and learning real skills might be worthwhile rather command a higher pay and lesser opportunities.

There are quite a lot of graduates with no real experience, unless you are taking part time with full time job experience, or outside interns or other experience. Otherwise with just a degree to fight, it is pretty competitive in today's context. Know where is your direction and value and work towards it.

Unregistered 29-07-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi (Post 53927)
I have a friend graduated from RMIT Marketing, very poor results with 2 failed modules required to retake.

Currently drawing 2500 for 1 year training phase before the pay to be revised. Big MNC, so I guess, taking a humble pay and learning real skills might be worthwhile rather command a higher pay and lesser opportunities.

There are quite a lot of graduates with no real experience, unless you are taking part time with full time job experience, or outside interns or other experience. Otherwise with just a degree to fight, it is pretty competitive in today's context. Know where is your direction and value and work towards it.

The starting pay is not quite bad, average I would say but since it is in a big MNC the potential is there.

I agree with you on fresh grads out there with no exp are facing fierce competition as there are just a handful of jobs that requires no exp and are willing to accept u as a fresh grad (except civil sector).

Unregistered 29-07-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 53929)
The starting pay is not quite bad, average I would say but since it is in a big MNC the potential is there.

I agree with you on fresh grads out there with no exp are facing fierce competition as there are just a handful of jobs that requires no exp and are willing to accept u as a fresh grad (except civil sector).

TBH 2500 for a fresh grad in a so call big MNC is way below market...

Unregistered 05-08-2014 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kopi (Post 53927)

I wouldn't mind 2.5 for 1 yr of training. Mind share what industry is it? And like wouldn't it be hard to get in (since u mentioned he did badly) if its a big MNC + training?

Unregistered 05-08-2014 03:04 AM

am worry about finding jobs in the future.
any advice on what i should do now?
will be graduating next year in degree in business management.

Unregistered 05-08-2014 01:47 PM

take on internships or part time jobs in a relevant field you are planning to get into. that is the most you can do.