Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Micron starting pay (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1787-micron-starting-pay.html)

Unregistered 30-09-2022 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Oon (Post 231577)
Anyone studied Electrical Engineering(EE), what are you currently doing now and your career progression. Hope to get some insight from the seniors here

Not from EE but was also in engineering, now in tech. Atb.

Gerald Oon 30-09-2022 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231589)
Not from EE but was also in engineering, now in tech. Atb.

How did you transition and what role are you doing, currently I am still a student in NUS studying EE but I wanna plan my route to get into the tech field when I graduate. I am looking at the financial technology side such as DBS(BackEnd), Network Engineer, etc

Gerald Oon 30-09-2022 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231586)
if you hate looking at circuits, dont go this route. Once you enter, they expect you to know how to read circuits well. Many drawings you never see before in your school life ever. Many says long hours but pay is so-so. If you got no other choice such as need to pay back loans , house utilities etc, then go ahead. Else, faster go other route before you get old.

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciate it currently I am still a freshman student doing Electrical Engineering at NUS. Honestly, I am really dreading looking at circuits drawings and stuff even physics is killing me. Honestly, would prefer a role that is more towards talking more with clients and understanding their issues, and helping them solve them. Any recommendations in the tech field which I can pivot to and save me a lifetime of sad sobby pay and long hours as an electrical engineer?

Unregistered 30-09-2022 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Oon (Post 231591)
Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciate it currently I am still a freshman student doing Electrical Engineering at NUS. Honestly, I am really dreading looking at circuits drawings and stuff even physics is killing me. Honestly, would prefer a role that is more towards talking more with clients and understanding their issues, and helping them solve them. Any recommendations in the tech field which I can pivot to and save me a lifetime of sad sobby pay and long hours as an electrical engineer?

Well seems like you are in the same boat as me. I took EE as well and into my final year i just dont like engineering anymore. After grad, i worked as an electrical engineer at a semiconductor company and realized i hate the job.

Since you are open to talking with clients, i guess you can go for sales or if you prefer outdoor/traveling instead of desk bound, can try field engineer. The most common route engineer pivot to is tech. I cant give any suggestion to tech path as i hate programming and not into tech.

Gerald Oon 30-09-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231595)
Well seems like you are in the same boat as me. I took EE as well and into my final year i just dont like engineering anymore. After grad, i worked as an electrical engineer at a semiconductor company and realized i hate the job.

Since you are open to talking with clients, i guess you can go for sales or if you prefer outdoor/traveling instead of desk bound, can try field engineer. The most common route engineer pivot to is tech. I cant give any suggestion to tech path as i hate programming and not into tech.

Thanks for your input man, understand your feeling bro what are you currently doing now if you don't mind sharing. I did thought of Sales Engineer roles doing pre-sales consulting as I don't wanna do the technical aspect as much, but I am still leaning in to learning the technical side as the pay is there if can learn the programming aspect such as Cloud, System Design etc.

Unregistered 01-10-2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald Oon (Post 231590)
How did you transition and what role are you doing, currently I am still a student in NUS studying EE but I wanna plan my route to get into the tech field when I graduate. I am looking at the financial technology side such as DBS(BackEnd), Network Engineer, etc

Hey, i transitioned by taking CS mods on my own as UEs, aside from that i self studied on my own, there is literally nothing stopping you from learning on DSA and System Design on your own, there are tons of great resources that can help.

With that, i also took some courses that were free and earned some certs which demonstrated interest in improving your skills

That and also hackathons and personal projects on a public repo definitely demonstrates your ability to write clean code and employers can see what kind of tech stack you use.

Last piece of advise is to always try to learn smth new about tech each day, whether its on tiktok or on or on reddit, make it a habit.

Its not easy, but the hardest part is breaking in. cheers

Unregistered 02-10-2022 08:55 PM

Joined Micron as an test engineer last year but think gonna leave soon. The work-life balance really sux. Company had freeze hiring since last few month and no replacement was done for those empty position. No OT pay and company expect people to take up more work. What worse is that this year no pay raise.

Unregistered 02-10-2022 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231812)
Joined Micron as an test engineer last year but think gonna leave soon. The work-life balance really sux. Company had freeze hiring since last few month and no replacement was done for those empty position. No OT pay and company expect people to take up more work. What worse is that this year no pay raise.

i didn't expect micron having a freeze hiring. seen quite a lot of people entering mircon this moment though. yeah u deserve somewhere better

Unregistered 02-10-2022 09:55 PM

EE grad here, unemployed for few months , worked part time before that . nobody accepting lol

Unregistered 03-10-2022 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 231812)

I tot usually micron has OT paid which capped at 7.5k. Is it your boss not allowed you to claim it?