Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 30-12-2017 02:15 PM

i honestly think that the government has to increase the pay for teachers. the current pay is way too low to attract talent

Unregistered 31-12-2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103491)
i honestly think that the government has to increase the pay for teachers. the current pay is way too low to attract talent

The current pay is okie. Actually now have slight excess of teachers because of the closure of jc and primary school.

If too high, then we will attracting the wrong crowd. We want new teachers to be passionate, not because they cannot find a job, therefore join teaching.

With regards to pay, The ambitious ones alr left and open their own tuition centres. It is passionate ones that are still in the system.

From international perspective, our pay is higher than the UK or US.
from a student perspective, we need to retain the passionate ones, not the money grabbing ones.

Hence increasing pay may not really optimize our student outcome or attract the right teachers.

That being said I think some of the stress comes from the demanding parents nowadays. If anything we need to optimize the parents to improve the welfare of teachers. Say no to teachers abuse.

Unregistered 02-01-2018 10:30 PM

Lol, comparing to international pay is wrong because of different cost of living.

But in any case, most teachers' pay are actually above median pay ($4k) in SG, so yeah, the pay is fine. Just that like any civil service job, progression is slow. That said, job stability is nearly airtight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103501)
The current pay is okie. Actually now have slight excess of teachers because of the closure of jc and primary school.

If too high, then we will attracting the wrong crowd. We want new teachers to be passionate, not because they cannot find a job, therefore join teaching.

With regards to pay, The ambitious ones alr left and open their own tuition centres. It is passionate ones that are still in the system.

From international perspective, our pay is higher than the UK or US.
from a student perspective, we need to retain the passionate ones, not the money grabbing ones.

Hence increasing pay may not really optimize our student outcome or attract the right teachers.

That being said I think some of the stress comes from the demanding parents nowadays. If anything we need to optimize the parents to improve the welfare of teachers. Say no to teachers abuse.

Unregistered 06-01-2018 03:56 PM

HQ Postings

Hi! Is anyone here aware of a kind of HQ posting where teachers are selected to attend a "tea session" at HQ, which is actually a group interview, and once shortlisted, they'll be placed on a 2 year HQ posting and then an accelerated progression track... something like a talent track? Anyone can shed light on how these teachers are selected for the interview/selection criteria to get chosen in the end?

Unregistered 08-01-2018 05:39 PM

Allowance for subject heads

Hi.
Does anyone have information in how much is the allowance for a Subject Head? Cheers

Unregistered 09-01-2018 12:40 AM

Look for the letter of appointment on HR Online. A few years ago it was a fixed amount ranging from from $1300-3600 per year (depending on your grade - GEO5 would get the least, GEO3 the most). Supposed to be recognition that you're doing a SEO1 level job while holding a more junior grade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103699)
Hi.
Does anyone have information in how much is the allowance for a Subject Head? Cheers

HQ Posting 15-01-2018 10:16 PM

HQ Posting

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103643)
Hi! Is anyone here aware of a kind of HQ posting where teachers are selected to attend a "tea session" at HQ, which is actually a group interview, and once shortlisted, they'll be placed on a 2 year HQ posting and then an accelerated progression track... something like a talent track? Anyone can shed light on how these teachers are selected for the interview/selection criteria to get chosen in the end?

To qualify for the tea session, you need
1. Have high CEP
2. At times, for certain openings, you need to be recommended by your Supt.

Questions asked vary as the interviewers are not the same. Placement on an accelerated progression track is not 100% true become the incoming officers are already deemed to be of higher potential before going into HQ.

There are also different tea sessions.
For some of my friends after the tea session, they get posted to divisions where some of the openings can be advertised on APEX. These are the people who get called up by HR but may not be necessarily recommended by Supts. Nonetheless, their CEP is on the higher side.

My tea session was slightly different because the openings are not found in APEX. (There are some divisions that are more 'atas' than others, I supposed) My supt recommended me and during the tea session, everyone (about 5 of us) got a placement in the division because I supposed the director trusted the recommendation of Supts.

Rorytan 17-01-2018 02:59 PM

PGDE or Bsc Sc (education) NTU

Hi,

There are a few things that I wish to clarify,

-I am interested in Biomedical Sc, and I am not sure whether I would get discouraged from not getting a research job after this, but I am interested in education too.

-Should I take Bsc Biomedical Sc, and then PDGE, or take Bsc Sc education? Is there any difference between these two pathways? Which path would be more secure if my ultimate aim is to become a bio teacher?

-Another issue here, do MOE hired foreigner? I am a Malaysian btw.

Thanks

Unregistered99 17-01-2018 04:14 PM

Hi,

Has anyone gone for a secondment to special education schools before? How was it? How was your career progression after your stint there? Thanks!

Unregistered 24-01-2018 11:59 AM

Wrong Info

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 103712)
Look for the letter of appointment on HR Online. A few years ago it was a fixed amount ranging from from $1300-3600 per year (depending on your grade - GEO5 would get the least, GEO3 the most). Supposed to be recognition that you're doing a SEO1 level job while holding a more junior grade.

Actually GEO5 is the highest grade for Non Appointment holders now. GEO3 is somewhere in the middle level.

Compared to Private Sector, pay wise is lower in the long term and your ability to move horizontally or to another company/school is also extremely limited.

Join only if you really passionate about teaching and don't mind the looooong hours. And yes, the stress is no less than the private sector. Maybe even more.