Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 20-09-2023 10:46 PM

Need to remember appointment ≠ actual paygrade.

Know of GEO4 HODs. Very tough.

Unregistered 20-09-2023 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256401)
Need to remember appointment ≠ actual paygrade.

Know of GEO4 HODs. Very tough.

i am very sure it has to do with some “norming” done by hr pegged to uni results, etc .
and demands of normal teacher
because u find geo4 hods in primary schools. in jc most KPs are actually on SEO scale. many are on GEO for a very short while if the are KPs and def not HODs.
in many jcs most of the HOTs are GEO5 and many hit salary cap early on

Unregistered 21-09-2023 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256363)
Since when can one skip HOD/YH role before becoming VP? Unless the person was AD in HQ?

Lol, several Ps who were on PSC scholarships never even took on SH or HOD roles before becoming VP. Their exp in HQ counted as equivalent or more superior to SH or HOD. HODs might seem "big" in school but honestly in HQ they are just normal staff officers because the hierarchy is so steep

Unregistered 21-09-2023 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256405)
i am very sure it has to do with some “norming” done by hr pegged to uni results, etc .
and demands of normal teacher
because u find geo4 hods in primary schools. in jc most KPs are actually on SEO scale. many are on GEO for a very short while if the are KPs and def not HODs.
in many jcs most of the HOTs are GEO5 and many hit salary cap early on

Being a HOD at GEO4 has nothing to do with the fact that one is in pri school. Pri school HODs can be SEO2 or even SEO3, if they hold the appointment for long enough.

The trend may be a result of Pri school KP positions being easier to get and more accessible to younger EOs, while the turnover in JC may not be as fast, hence people sit on the positions for longer.

Unregistered 24-09-2023 10:49 AM

anyone else observes - single teachers and/or/ esp male ones tend to put in longer hours eg conduct more remedials, help sessions while female married ones try to get away but do equally well at rankings?

Unregistered 24-09-2023 02:37 PM

Hi! I'm a GEO3. This is my fourth year of service. Expecting my GEO4 next year.

I am keen to do a Masters for my own interest (likely full-time).
When would be a good time to do that?

Unregistered 24-09-2023 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256640)

If you meet the minimum criteria for PGA/PGS, you can try your luck, although it is quite difficult to get. You need at least one B grade in the last few years, but that alone does not boost your chances much. A portfolio of your achievements at work is more critical.

If you would like to try for paid professional development leave, you have to wait till your 10th year of service (or 9th for NSmen).

See if you can get your SLs' support for no-pay professional development leave. But from a financial point of view, not advisable.

Unregistered 24-09-2023 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256626)
anyone else observes - single teachers and/or/ esp male ones tend to put in longer hours eg conduct more remedials, help sessions while female married ones try to get away but do equally well at rankings?

is this cos of a popular post u saw on one of the forums out there? haha

Unregistered 25-09-2023 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256626)

Not true. Doing more does not always better. Ranking is generally fair. The females would have done something impactful so that they are ranked well. But what is fairly well? It it’s a C grade, then haha, it’s the default grade and most ppl should get that grade.

Unregistered 25-09-2023 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 256640)

Hahaha why would u expect yr geo 4 next year? Alot ppl stuck in geo3