Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 20-12-2023 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263451)
The deferred income assessment is for students who have no incomes.

You are avoiding the question.

Typical age of marriage is 30. What would be a comfortable income to apply for a decent house?

Don't think anyone is anywhere close to exceeding the ceiling at age 30.
If have, please tell me which sch got GEOs hitting 7k at age 30. I go apply

Given that grads form the top 30% of the cohort, we should also be looking at the top 30% of bto projects. So please don't go and quote some random 2 rms or 3rms

Aug 2023 launch Tengah 4rm flat: 350k (without grant). After grant confirm will be lower. Teacher couple at age 30, you can dare say that they won't have a comfortable income to apply for 4 room bto at Tengah?

Unregistered 20-12-2023 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263470)
Is it fair if my wife's school asks her to go back to work tomorrow and on Thursday this week? She is part of the cockpit team in a secondary school. Aren't they supposed to work in the first and last week of the school holiday and have protected time in between?

Usually protected time for secondary schools starts when the primary school ends their school year ie around mid-Nov. Many sec schools have PVT periods until around the time when N level results are released (ard mid-Dec), where those on certain duties (FTs of classes and thus involved in results release, or KPs overseeing results released etc) return to school to report for their assigned duties. There are also other events eg Sec 1 registration starting soon etc.

Mid-Nov till mid-Dec is a good amount of about 3-4 weeks of PVT at least.

Unregistered 20-12-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263471)
Lol compare to banks biotech. Why not compare to lawyers and doctors also?

The Chui lawyer actually earn less than Geo 5

And teachers work is meaningful

My gp tutor was a lawyer. Then she found it meaningless
So came and taught gp. I respect her greatly

Teachers salary quite decent lah
Same as the rest of non scholar civil service

Starting 4plus, mid career 6plus, hentak kaki ar 8plus
Other stat board also same

You tell school janitor u earn 6plus , they say u rich
Cannot compare

Unregistered 20-12-2023 09:44 AM

She is just a GEO4, not KP or in charge of any event. She needs to go back today and tomorrow. Just wondering why they can't do it next week and had to go back to do today and tomorrow. Can't even work from home.

Unregistered 20-12-2023 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263489)
She is just a GEO4, not KP or in charge of any event. She needs to go back today and tomorrow. Just wondering why they can't do it next week and had to go back to do today and tomorrow. Can't even work from home.

There are teachers (non KPs) who are also returning for duties these few days.
Some are even resuming CCA training sessions for students.

It is quite commonplace, frankly. And it’s all part of a teachers’ hearts to serve the organisation and support students.

Unregistered 20-12-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Ask the Sch leaders whether you can have day off since you are working during protected break? I recall in saf, if you are required to work on non-working days like weekends, you get day off in as a compensation.

Unregistered 20-12-2023 06:24 PM

Quote:

school starting where got time, if do early, rest early? and in before someone says she is paid for school holidays?

Unregistered 20-12-2023 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263482)
The Chui lawyer actually earn less than Geo 5

And teachers work is meaningful

My gp tutor was a lawyer. Then she found it meaningless
So came and taught gp. I respect her greatly

Teachers salary quite decent lah
Same as the rest of non scholar civil service

Starting 4plus, mid career 6plus, hentak kaki ar 8plus
Other stat board also same

You tell school janitor u earn 6plus , they say u rich
Cannot compare

many of my mid-career teacher friends earn easily 8k base excluding bonus. around mid-30s.

Unregistered 20-12-2023 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263470)
Is it fair if my wife's school asks her to go back to work tomorrow and on Thursday this week? She is part of the cockpit team in a secondary school. Aren't they supposed to work in the first and last week of the school holiday and have protected time in between?

Well it all depends on school needs and roles in various committees or leadership positions. If you are a KP or 4N FTs, you have to return to school this week for N Levels results release. If you are a school cockpit team, you have to go back to settle the incoming sec 1 students data and rest of the school. So yep first and last week is not a given.

Unregistered 21-12-2023 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 263548)
many of my mid-career teacher friends earn easily 8k base excluding bonus. around mid-30s.

By mid 30s, a male teacher would have been in service for 10 years, reached GEO4 and drawing 6k+ salary. Everyone knows that the civil service pays less while being more stable job wise.

What's the issue? That the civil service should be on par or exceed the private sector? We all know that Singapore society will be in uproar if that happens. So blame your fellow Singaporeans.