Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

guest123 14-08-2023 09:24 PM

Qns

I'm not a teacher. Just asking cos I'm curious.

I have a friend who's my age (35 this year). She I believe earned a MOE scholarship when she was younger and studied Math in Cambridge uni. Smart girl with RGS/RJC education background. Now she's a pri school teacher.. teaching math of course. I believe she's a subject head? Or level head? (pardon me I'm not sure of the hierachy).

My questions are:

1. How much approximately is she earning right now at 35? Especially with such a respectable CV.

2. Can someone educate me about the hierachy in a school? P > VP > HOD >....

Thanks so much! Just being busybody and nothing else. No offence to anyone here.

Unregistered 14-08-2023 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by guest123 (Post 253977)
I'm not a teacher. Just asking cos I'm curious.

I have a friend who's my age (35 this year). She I believe earned a MOE scholarship when she was younger and studied Math in Cambridge uni. Smart girl with RGS/RJC education background. Now she's a pri school teacher.. teaching math of course. I believe she's a subject head? Or level head? (pardon me I'm not sure of the hierachy).

My questions are:

1. How much approximately is she earning right now at 35? Especially with such a respectable CV.

2. Can someone educate me about the hierachy in a school? P > VP > HOD >....

Thanks so much! Just being busybody and nothing else. No offence to anyone here.

The max max max is SEO which i believe is 10,250 or something like that. but range is wide and she could be earning maybe 8 or 9K. she’s a scholar so it’s likely she is SEO1 while many others holding SH/LH could be GEO4/5.

Unregistered 14-08-2023 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 253849)
Huh? U never did duty before? If u did, you would know election officials are from all ministries...And not all teachers get called to.

Come from all ministries, yes. But somehow the proportion of teachers vs non-teachers on election duty don't reflect the actual ratio. During election, teachers are over-represented among the POs.

Unregistered 16-08-2023 04:30 PM

Anyone knows if there's a chance of career progression if one gets a string of Cs (but told every year that I've done a good job). I also understand that a 'C' is classified as a 'good' grade in HR terms but should there be a least a mix of C+/ Bs instead, in order to progress to SH/LH or MOE HQ roles?

Unregistered 16-08-2023 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 254080)
Anyone knows if there's a chance of career progression if one gets a string of Cs (but told every year that I've done a good job). I also understand that a 'C' is classified as a 'good' grade in HR terms but should there be a least a mix of C+/ Bs instead, in order to progress to SH/LH or MOE HQ roles?

How long has your string been?

Unregistered 16-08-2023 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 254085)
How long has your string been?

6 years, since GEO 4 promotion. last year was C+ though.

Unregistered 16-08-2023 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 254087)
6 years, since GEO 4 promotion. last year was C+ though.

The string of Cs at GEO4 is not necessarily because you are not doing good work, but could be because some other GEO4s are holding key appointments or internal appointments and could be working at the level of much higher subgrades. In the past such people would be guaranteed blazing fast promotions; nowadays, it's not always the case. They end up hogging the As and Bs when ranked.

What does this mean? You are not necessarily 'doomed'. What you need, if you aspire to climb, is to express your interest to take on some work pieces at higher levels. Some work pieces that let you demonstrate leadership and strategic thinking/planning. If you can deliver well on these types of work, your CEP may be raised and you may be given opportunities to take on higher appointment.

Unregistered 16-08-2023 09:46 PM

Is it 'bad' to want to be an ST? I'm in my 5th year, got promoted to GEO4 last year. My RO has been asking me to consider changing my mind about my chosen track, which is ST. She suggested that I go for leadership track instead, but I've no interest there. And when I asked her about ST-ship, she would talk about KP-ship.

How can I flourish as an ST? How to get started even? Is there a minimum number of years of service you must hit before being starting your ST-ship? The two STs in my school are from different department and not very friendly so I don't want to ask them. TIA

Unregistered 16-08-2023 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 254134)
Is it 'bad' to want to be an ST? I'm in my 5th year, got promoted to GEO4 last year. My RO has been asking me to consider changing my mind about my chosen track, which is ST. She suggested that I go for leadership track instead, but I've no interest there. And when I asked her about ST-ship, she would talk about KP-ship.

How can I flourish as an ST? How to get started even? Is there a minimum number of years of service you must hit before being starting your ST-ship? The two STs in my school are from different department and not very friendly so I don't want to ask them. TIA

They usually expect the more experienced (read: older) teachers to be STs. Young STs do exist (youngest I met was 31), but they are very rare.

Can always take on LH portfolio and switch to ST later. Harder for ST to switch to LH/SH.

For ST portfolio, need to showcase pedagogical mastery and sharing of practices with other teachers.

Unregistered 17-08-2023 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 254134)

Its not bad to go on the ST track. What I find fascinating are people who claim that they entered teaching because they love to educate kids and guide them in their formative years. Yet these people are gunning for leadership track where the higher you go, the less direct interaction that you have with students.

Really makes me wonder whether the people here who keep harping on their passion for teaching are indeed genuine.