Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244947)
hi, is it normal to be stuck at geo 3 for 7-8 years?

before 2015, absolutely not unless you made a lot of mistakes and kena warning letter.

Nowadays, it's becoming more and more common for teachers who just want to stay as teachers.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:16 PM

MOE had definitely slowed down promotion rates in the last few years. Picture the scenario where almost everyone is at GEO 5. This is for sure unhealthy and would mean a huge wage bill

Unregistered 03-04-2023 12:20 PM

Have you heard of this common way of thinking?

If you

1) are not on KP track
2) intend to stay for life as a teacher,

Why would MOE speedily promote u to the apex rung for common teachers? That would mean the end of your promotions for the next xx years till you retire.

Just sharing some way of thinking it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244935)
im quite bumped abt not moving up to geo 4 despite being in service since 2015/2016
2015 pgde
2016 promoted to geo 3
2017 3 C+ (boss say it will be default c+ bc just gt promoted)
2018 3 C+
2019 3 C+ ML
2020 3 C+ ML (boss say it will be default c+)
2021 3 C+
2022 3 B (why nt promoted here?!)
2023 3 C

im ok nt to take up KP position, but nt moving up the ranks is like...

Unregistered 03-04-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244948)
I'm not agreeing with what HR is doing, but the reasoning given to you will be because you don't take up KP position and/or don't work above the geo3 subgrade expectation, that's why you are not promoted.

Any teacher who has worked in a school before including myself knows this is not true lah. With so many years of exp, your work is probably already similar in impact to any geo5 in the same school. But what to do? :(

my work scope is definitely more than geo 3 from 2016-2019, ic for cca + comm is a main thing + did lots of events + level coordinator + plt lead

thats why im so bump abt the no promotion

2020-current, im so jaded, i just dont want to do much, but no major mistakes and maybe thats why im stuck.

im rly rly depressed abt this.

for the past few years i cried so much and been so down. i think im sinking into depression and anxiety.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244951)
Have you heard of this common way of thinking?

If you

1) are not on KP track
2) intend to stay for life as a teacher,

Why would MOE speedily promote u to the apex rung for common teachers? That would mean the end of your promotions for the next xx years till you retire.

Just sharing some way of thinking it

why not move me to the nxt level for common teachers. to be honest, geo3/4 or not, the job scope is abt the same, except for kps who do more organisation works (leadership/deployment) and they get geo 4 + additional pay for it.
im only looking at geo 4. if im given kp stuffs i will still do.

but its just so sad to be stuck at geo3.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244957)
my work scope is definitely more than geo 3 from 2016-2019, ic for cca + comm is a main thing + did lots of events + level coordinator + plt lead

thats why im so bump abt the no promotion

2020-current, im so jaded, i just dont want to do much, but no major mistakes and maybe thats why im stuck.

im rly rly depressed abt this.

for the past few years i cried so much and been so down. i think im sinking into depression and anxiety.

I have been stuck at geo 3 for 7 years. You are not the
only one who is depressed about this. I think lately promotion
has been really slow. If you want to get more pay without dealing without the additional
responsibilities and stress, I would suggest you to teach
tuition after work (maybe on weekend morning).. so you can get
GEO 4 pay but remain as a happy ordinary teacher.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 01:58 PM

Without being rude, the fact that you are still in the same job says a lot. As a system, why should MOE promote when it’s unlikely u will leave? Even if you leave, there are many others behind you. It’s just a cycle of slow promotions, unhappiness, but workers who tend to stick around till retirement…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244959)
why not move me to the nxt level for common teachers. to be honest, geo3/4 or not, the job scope is abt the same, except for kps who do more organisation works (leadership/deployment) and they get geo 4 + additional pay for it.
im only looking at geo 4. if im given kp stuffs i will still do.

but its just so sad to be stuck at geo3.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244964)
I have been stuck at geo 3 for 7 years. You are not the
only one who is depressed about this. I think lately promotion
has been really slow. If you want to get more pay without dealing without the additional
responsibilities and stress, I would suggest you to teach
tuition after work (maybe on weekend morning).. so you can get
GEO 4 pay but remain as a happy ordinary teacher.

thank you for letting me know that im not alone and the suggestions.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 03:03 PM

GEO 5 KP, MI 3.9%, PB - A
Hopefully next year got chance of a promo to SEO 1 soon, reaching ceiling of 8250.

Unregistered 03-04-2023 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 244948)
I'm not agreeing with what HR is doing, but the reasoning given to you will be because you don't take up KP position and/or don't work above the geo3 subgrade expectation, that's why you are not promoted.

Any teacher who has worked in a school before including myself knows this is not true lah. With so many years of exp, your work is probably already similar in impact to any geo5 in the same school. But what to do? :(

Its strange default is C+. Default as I know it in many schools is C.