Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 22-08-2020 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144334)
But it would still be confidential right?

Yes.

Even if not, if I'm the P, I also have more pressing issues than to see what individuals opined.

Unregistered 23-08-2020 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144346)
Yes.

Even if not, if I'm the P, I also have more pressing issues than to see what individuals opined.

I have seen Ps who are really petty and biased..

Unregistered 25-08-2020 12:51 AM

Moe counsellor (untrained)

Has anyone applied for this position recently? How long does it take for HR to shortlist for interview? Is the interview very hard? Is the turnover rate high for School Counsellors?

Unregistered 27-08-2020 09:20 PM

I am waiting for a response! Applied for the 9 august batch.

Unregistered 03-09-2020 01:16 AM

Lds

Does anyone know if we will get our LDS this coming Sep?

Unregistered 05-09-2020 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144915)
Does anyone know if we will get our LDS this coming Sep?

We won't be getting LDS, because it is no longer called LSD.

SEP should be be paid out in September salary. $500 - 700 depending.

Unregistered 05-09-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144139)
i am a current GEO 3, 5 years in service. Graduated straight from NIE BA/BSc programme and teaching non examinable subject (single subject) in a secondary school. Served NS, early 30s currently.

have been doing some projects in my school (low to high stake) but has been getting only a "C" for PB since in service.

Starting from this year, i have been appointed overall IC for my CCA (is this considered high stake position?) and have made it clear to my RO that I would like to take up some KP position starting 2021.

My SLs are not really young (late 40s to 50s) and my school culture is really good (happy to stay in my school).

However, I have been thinking about transferring school (or to HQ branch) to progress further in my career. But I have enjoyed teaching in my school and enjoyed good relationship with students and colleagues to the extent that we have regular meet up outside of school. I have heard of many political stories elsewhere and sometimes i have been told to "count my blessing" by many friends and seniors teaching in other schools.

I would like to progress up the rank (raising to SEO grade) in my career. I understand that being in my early 30s and still at GEO 3 means my progression is really slow. (maybe low CEP?)

Would like to seek the almighty forumers who can give me advice. Should i leave my current school (sacrifice the good office culture and relationship with students/colleague) for a better shot at SEO grade?

Being appointed overall IC in CCA is a good start, although it is also dependent on several factors:
> Is it a key and important CCA to the school? In terms of achievements, etc.
> How did you value add to the CCA? Or are they just finding someone to fill a post for day to day running of the CCA?

There shouldn't be many GEO3 in the school as it is still considered a relatively junior grade. There will be C+ and Bs in this grade and the best way to develop yourself is to know who are the fellow GEO3 officers and in what area they are doing better than you in.

A good school will still expect a minimal baseline for teaching and learning standards for KP to be above average (so make sure that is not your AFI), before looking at your portfolio and value-addedness.

One thing to note is some schools are more conservative in raising CEP (esp young officers), so seize the opportunity to value add to work assigned to you (and make sure it is visible).

You may have a slow start, but will the right attitude and drive, you will get there. SEO scale requires a minimal appoint of LH/SH though.

Unregistered 05-09-2020 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145032)
We won't be getting LDS, because it is no longer called LSD.

SEP should be be paid out in September salary. $500 - 700 depending.

OP here. Thanks for the info.

Mr E 07-09-2020 12:45 AM

Hi!

Just curious about the payscales in MOE (as a teacher). The info is abit outdated, so wanted to check anyone who knows the more recent amounts..

1) What's the salary range like for GEO 3, 4, 5, SEO 1, 2, 3?
Is it aligned with:

MX9 (Directors) $11,110 to $17,370
MX10 (Senior Management) $7,000 to $11,470
MX11 (Middle Management) $4,740 to $8,305
MX12 (Management) $2,945 to $5,925
MX13 (Fresh Graduates) $3,000

(source: https://blog.moneysmart.sg/career/ci...ary-pros-cons/ )

2) And is there additional allowance for taking on SH/ HOD/ ST while being in the GEO grades?

3) Not sure if it's just a rumor, but possible for a HOD to earn about $13 to $14k?

Thank you!

Unregistered 08-09-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 144139)
i am a current GEO 3, 5 years in service. Graduated straight from NIE BA/BSc programme and teaching non examinable subject (single subject) in a secondary school. Served NS, early 30s currently.

have been doing some projects in my school (low to high stake) but has been getting only a "C" for PB since in service.

Starting from this year, i have been appointed overall IC for my CCA (is this considered high stake position?) and have made it clear to my RO that I would like to take up some KP position starting 2021.

My SLs are not really young (late 40s to 50s) and my school culture is really good (happy to stay in my school).

However, I have been thinking about transferring school (or to HQ branch) to progress further in my career. But I have enjoyed teaching in my school and enjoyed good relationship with students and colleagues to the extent that we have regular meet up outside of school. I have heard of many political stories elsewhere and sometimes i have been told to "count my blessing" by many friends and seniors teaching in other schools.

I would like to progress up the rank (raising to SEO grade) in my career. I understand that being in my early 30s and still at GEO 3 means my progression is really slow. (maybe low CEP?)

Would like to seek the almighty forumers who can give me advice. Should i leave my current school (sacrifice the good office culture and relationship with students/colleague) for a better shot at SEO grade?

I hope to shed some light to your question. Something about myself. Not a scholar, no honors (normal degree), 16 years in service. I got my SEO1 when I was 35 and SEO2 5 years later.

Overall IC is not a high stake as schools dont consciously put high potential officers to lead CCAs unless the CCA is a niche area. CCA deployment is more like staff preference and putting officers where they used to previously.

Taking up a KP position is a conversation usually initiated by the RO. If your CEP is only P8, then your RO would not discuss this during your work review. The conversation would focus on T&L because a teacher with P8 CEP would be a teacher when he/she retires.

Seeking a HQ posting would require an officer to have a CEP of at least P7. So I suggest u check with your SLs first. (Of course, you cant ask them directly what your CEP is but you can seek their advice and from there, you would know what your CEP is).

If you feel that your school has a good culture, I would suggest you to stay. Schools with good colleagues and understanding SLs are hard to find. Going to a new environment would require you to build up relationships with new people and these people may have form cliques.

Unregistered 08-09-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145175)
I hope to shed some light to your question. Something about myself. Not a scholar, no honors (normal degree), 16 years in service. I got my SEO1 when I was 35 and SEO2 5 years later.

Overall IC is not a high stake as schools dont consciously put high potential officers to lead CCAs unless the CCA is a niche area. CCA deployment is more like staff preference and putting officers where they used to previously.

Taking up a KP position is a conversation usually initiated by the RO. If your CEP is only P8, then your RO would not discuss this during your work review. The conversation would focus on T&L because a teacher with P8 CEP would be a teacher when he/she retires.

Seeking a HQ posting would require an officer to have a CEP of at least P7. So I suggest u check with your SLs first. (Of course, you cant ask them directly what your CEP is but you can seek their advice and from there, you would know what your CEP is).

If you feel that your school has a good culture, I would suggest you to stay. Schools with good colleagues and understanding SLs are hard to find. Going to a new environment would require you to build up relationships with new people and these people may have form cliques.

What is P7 and P8? Never heard this terms before.

Unregistered 08-09-2020 10:00 PM

1) You can see previous posts like in s://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher-118.html#post110033 - there hasn't been a salary revision recently, so think the figures are still fairly accurate.

2) Yes, there is an allowance. Actual amount varies depending on gap between actual and expected grade. In the grand scheme of things it's not that significant (e.g. $3k per year) so I wouldn't factor it too much in any plans you're making.

3) Technically a HOD could reach SEO3 (I think - although I've only seen SEO2 myself) and those crowdsourced figures don't include SEO3 figures, but it doesn't seem that 13-14k is possible unless you're factoring in bonuses.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr E (Post 145120)
Hi!

Just curious about the payscales in MOE (as a teacher). The info is abit outdated, so wanted to check anyone who knows the more recent amounts..

1) What's the salary range like for GEO 3, 4, 5, SEO 1, 2, 3?
Is it aligned with:

MX9 (Directors) $11,110 to $17,370
MX10 (Senior Management) $7,000 to $11,470
MX11 (Middle Management) $4,740 to $8,305
MX12 (Management) $2,945 to $5,925
MX13 (Fresh Graduates) $3,000

(source: s://blog.moneysmart.sg/career/civil-service-salary-pros-cons/ )

2) And is there additional allowance for taking on SH/ HOD/ ST while being in the GEO grades?

3) Not sure if it's just a rumor, but possible for a HOD to earn about $13 to $14k?

Thank you!

Unregistered 08-09-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145175)

Hi, can share some insights on CEP? What do P7 and P8 mean? What are the different levels?

Unregistered 09-09-2020 10:32 AM

P8 - officer maxes out at GEO5
P7 - officer maxes out at SEO1
P6 - SEO2

(There's more, of course, but probably irrelevant for the vast majority of education officers)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145210)
Hi, can share some insights on CEP? What do P7 and P8 mean? What are the different levels?

Unregistered 09-09-2020 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145206)
1) You can see previous posts like in s://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher-118.html#post110033 - there hasn't been a salary revision recently, so think the figures are still fairly accurate.

2) Yes, there is an allowance. Actual amount varies depending on gap between actual and expected grade. In the grand scheme of things it's not that significant (e.g. $3k per year) so I wouldn't factor it too much in any plans you're making.

3) Technically a HOD could reach SEO3 (I think - although I've only seen SEO2 myself) and those crowdsourced figures don't include SEO3 figures, but it doesn't seem that 13-14k is possible unless you're factoring in bonuses.

The salaries for staffs in schools are quite standardized. So far, only seen 25k the most before retirement age. HODs not possible to earn basic 13-14k. Educators who have hit the highest salary in the grade will not earn any increment as long as they are not promoted.

Unregistered 09-09-2020 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145218)
P8 - officer maxes out at GEO5
P7 - officer maxes out at SEO1
P6 - SEO2

(There's more, of course, but probably irrelevant for the vast majority of education officers)

Previous non-scholar poster. Would like to add on:
P8 - Normal teacher
P7 - officer maxes out at SEO1 (Officer is deemed to be an SH/LH when he/she retires)
P6 - SEO2 (Officer is deemed to be a HOD when he/she retires)

Unregistered 10-09-2020 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145221)
The salaries for staffs in schools are quite standardized. So far, only seen 25k the most before retirement age. HODs not possible to earn basic 13-14k. Educators who have hit the highest salary in the grade will not earn any increment as long as they are not promoted.

25k/month? Is that the P? Maybe was previously a Supt and came back to school... but how did you managed to find out your P’s salary?

Unregistered 10-09-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145285)
25k/month? Is that the P? Maybe was previously a Supt and came back to school... but how did you managed to find out your P’s salary?

Quite clearly that I worked in the HQ.

Unregistered 10-09-2020 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145295)
Quite clearly that I worked in the HQ.

Wah what level do you have to be to reach 25k

Unregistered 10-09-2020 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145239)
P8 - Normal teacher
P7 - officer maxes out at SEO1 (Officer is deemed to be an SH/LH when he/she retires)

Commenting just to say thanks for the helpful info! I appreciate the clarity, it is helpful in understanding some of my RO’s cryptic comments about my career trajectory.

Unregistered 11-09-2020 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145239)
P8 - Normal teacher

P7 could be ST position as well.

Comm 12-09-2020 12:26 PM

Donation to community chest

Are you guys aware that community chest deduction is happening since 2020 from our salary... it is done without informing us... its a small amoun but... i feel.. MOE should seek our approval first.... its like i deduct first.. the if you not happy.. then remove yourself.. wtf

Unregistered 12-09-2020 01:15 PM

Just wondering, how is the CEP determined? Everyone starts at P8 then your RO or school might adjust it upwards if they see potential in you? If scholars have higher CEP, any idea which scholarship tier is tied to which CEP level?

Thanks in advance if any of you are familiar with the above!

Unregistered 12-09-2020 02:49 PM

Everyone - even scholars - starts at P8, then moved up if deemed suitable.

(At least, that's what it looks like at the KP level. Someone suggested previously that there's an invisible layer somewhere that determines faster CEP progression for scholars, but I don't have first-hand knowledge of that.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145411)
Just wondering, how is the CEP determined? Everyone starts at P8 then your RO or school might adjust it upwards if they see potential in you? If scholars have higher CEP, any idea which scholarship tier is tied to which CEP level?

Unregistered 12-09-2020 06:49 PM

Quote:

From the very first outcome of your performance grade and ranking. If first year cmi, work harder to get favoured...

Unregistered 12-09-2020 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comm (Post 145406)
Are you guys aware that community chest deduction is happening since 2020 from our salary... it is done without informing us... its a small amoun but... i feel.. MOE should seek our approval first.... its like i deduct first.. the if you not happy.. then remove yourself.. wtf

Yeah, I noticed that too. I thought it's mandatory, you mean it's optional? Then again, it's a small amount to give back to the society la. But I do agree with you that they should at least inform us

Unregistered 12-09-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145413)
Everyone - even scholars - starts at P8, then moved up if deemed suitable.

(At least, that's what it looks like at the KP level. Someone suggested previously that there's an invisible layer somewhere that determines faster CEP progression for scholars, but I don't have first-hand knowledge of that.)

This is not very accurate. Excluding those teaching award recipients, MOE scholars have a higher starting CEP. For overseas scholar, their CEP is at the Supt level.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 02:08 AM

What's the rationale for not letting jobholders know their exact CEP?

Unregistered 13-09-2020 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145430)
This is not very accurate. Excluding those teaching award recipients, MOE scholars have a higher starting CEP. For overseas scholar, their CEP is at the Supt level.

There are >50 overseas scholars each year. Even after counting for attrition and inability to meet potential, I don’t think there are enough Supt positions to go around...

Unregistered 13-09-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145455)
There are >50 overseas scholars each year. Even after counting for attrition and inability to meet potential, I don’t think there are enough Supt positions to go around...

There are more than enough Supt-equivalent positions to go around, if you look beyond just Schools Division. There are many DD and D level positions, similar in pay grade to a cluster supt, in other divisions which will (and currently do) benefit from being filled by EOs rather than non-educators.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145448)
What's the rationale for not letting jobholders know their exact CEP?

Supposedly, it's so that JHs don't simply focus on "box ticking" and maximising their progression by trying to game the system as Singaporeans are wont to do.

Of course, the validity/effectiveness of the above is subject to debate.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

I have personality witnessed MOE Overseas and Local scholarship holders who quit after their bonds were over.

In short, dun count on your eggs before they are hatched.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145471)
There are more than enough Supt-equivalent positions to go around, if you look beyond just Schools Division. There are many DD and D level positions, similar in pay grade to a cluster supt, in other divisions which will (and currently do) benefit from being filled by EOs rather than non-educators.

Senior Asst Dir, Deputy Dir - VP
Senior Deputy Dir, Dir, Div Dir - P, Supt, ZD

Clearly you don’t know your stuff.

Unregistered 13-09-2020 04:58 PM

Hi all, i am just curious, i am currently an MOE teacher teaching mother tongue, but i m interested to change the subject that i teach.

What are the ways to go about it? Can i apply during the application window period to teach other subjects even though i am already employed in MOE?

Unregistered 13-09-2020 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145498)
Hi all, i am just curious, i am currently an MOE teacher teaching mother tongue, but i m interested to change the subject that i teach.

What are the ways to go about it? Can i apply during the application window period to teach other subjects even though i am already employed in MOE?

Haven't heard of it before. Your CS1 and CS2 are both Mother Tongue related. Since you are already a trained teacher, tough luck.

MOE needs more MT and EL teachers.

Unregistered 14-09-2020 10:54 AM

MOE job interview

Just wondering , with covid 19 now, do we need to remove mask during job interview at MOE?

Unregistered 14-09-2020 04:10 PM

Is there a maximum period an officer can stay at GEO 3 before he is promoted to GEO 4?

Unregistered 14-09-2020 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145549)
Is there a maximum period an officer can stay at GEO 3 before he is promoted to GEO 4?

No. The officer can theoretically be consistently getting C- and not being promoted and not be placed on PRP.

Unregistered 14-09-2020 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145528)
Just wondering , with covid 19 now, do we need to remove mask during job interview at MOE?

Teachers teach wearing their masks. If by wearing a mask and the panel of interviewers can't make out what you are saying. It speaks volumes.

Unregistered 14-09-2020 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 145498)

Close to zero chance. Unless you are able to redo their PGDE or Bachelor of Science. For you to be a MT teacher, chances are your competency is in MT.

The only way to go about it, join private tuition centre and ask whether they allow you to teach the subjects you like? Hope you can see where I am coming from.