Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 23-03-2022 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burnt out teacher (Post 209890)
Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Anybody has any kind advice for me? Considering a few options:

1) Change to flexi-adjunct + private tuition to supplement?
2) full private tuition like 1-1 or enrichment centres?
3) Try a totally new industry like property agent?

Thank you in advance...

Leave service only if you have lost the love of teaching. Not worth it to quit for reasons like KP, SL. As others have suggested, can consider transfer to another school. Grasss may not ultimately be greener but at least you have tried changing the environment.

Not sure if you are doing private tuition or tutoring or enrichment currently. But pace yourself if you are considering leaving service.

Not that easy to return to be a flexi.

Unregistered 23-03-2022 07:44 PM

Quote:

Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Thank you in advance...

I'm much older than you... am 39 (female) GEO 4 and drawing 200 less than you. Funny right? your grade lower than mine and I am paid less than you. I should feel more pathetic than you. Been in service since 2008, non-degree holder initially but went to do an upgrade to degree program hence the slower progression in salary...

If you are really unhappy, think of alternatives like open posting. I did it last year and the change of environment was a breath of fresh air for me. I would say, don't quit yet. Try for Open posting in june/july and perhaps think of quitting after your 10th year connect plan (it's quite a nice amount). Jia you~ i'm holding on to 2023 for my 15th year connect plan. Wishing you happiness!

Unregistered 23-03-2022 07:54 PM

Hi there, I have finished my practicum in March 2020. Can I check if Connect Plan will be given on Dec 2023 or Dec 2024? Thank you!

Unregistered 23-03-2022 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209962)
QUOTE=Unregistered;209831]After all the deductions, you only get 8k+ for the first payout. If you ask me if it’s worth it to wait 1 year for ard 9k, I will say no. You can gain more experience out there in that 1 year.

Can you explain why its 9k? Even after 20% cpf deduction (which is still your money anyway), take home should be around 12k right? What other deductions are there? Those who have taken 4th year CONNECT plan before (which I'm sure is most seniors here), can advise how much you got?

Also, how long is the notice period usually? Let's say if I plan to quit 31 March after PB, when should i throw letter? and who to throw to? P or HQ?[/QUOTE]

Because you don’t get to take out 100% of the $15k. You are supposed to keep some amount in the plan.

Unregistered 23-03-2022 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209980)
Can you explain why its 9k? Even after 20% cpf deduction (which is still your money anyway), take home should be around 12k right? What other deductions are there? Those who have taken 4th year CONNECT plan before (which I'm sure is most seniors here), can advise how much you got?

Also, how long is the notice period usually? Let's say if I plan to quit 31 March after PB, when should i throw letter? and who to throw to? P or HQ?

Because you don’t get to take out 100% of the $15k. You are supposed to keep some amount in the plan.[/QUOTE]

The first payout is slightly less than 10k

Unregistered 23-03-2022 09:13 PM

Ranking in HQ

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209793)
How is ranking done at HQ? Is it rank within branch or by division?

It is first done within unit, followed by branch den across divisions. However, you will only be ranked among HQ officers, not with school.

Unregistered 23-03-2022 09:14 PM

Quote:

Thank you in advance...

Are you from dip Ed, that's why the progression is slower?

Unregistered 23-03-2022 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209980)
Because you don’t get to take out 100% of the $15k. You are supposed to keep some amount in the plan.

Suggest you refer to HR Online on the intranet. The schedule of CONNECT payouts (wef 1 Oct 2015) is clearly stated - the sum $15.2k is already taking into account that it's a partial withdrawal.

CONNECT Year 4: $15,200 (60%)

Unregistered 23-03-2022 09:45 PM

Connect plan payout includes both employer and employee cpf. E.g., take home being 15,400/117*80=10529

Unregistered 23-03-2022 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 209988)
Connect plan payout includes both employer and employee cpf. E.g., take home being 15,400/117*80=10529

It does not include employer CPF.