Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-12-2013 10:14 PM

Does anyone know how much (in percentage) will annual increments be for GEO1A2

Shan 06-01-2014 07:04 PM

I've actually received the same email from MOE, saying that my application is shortlisted and in competition with the rest of the candidates.

I'm staying positive and assuming that it is because it's year end, and they're not able to clear all the applications. And since they do not want to "lose" us, they're keeping us updated!

Cross fingers ya!

All the best!

Graduating student 15-01-2014 04:15 PM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 34236)
Everything got risk and reward. If you sign up with MOE with the intention of running off when complete masters, the reward will of course be a free education and job stability in the process so that you can study in peace.

Got high risk also. First off, very hard to compete in other industry. For e.g. if your masters is material sciences and you want to apply for a R&D job in a high tech MNC, you will need to compete with others who are younger, have worked in industry competitors, similar industrial attachment or internal people who studied while working within the company. You will be like an old freshie with no relevant exp, possible but difficult.

There is also the stigma of pte sector against civil servant. Sometimes it is justified as the culture difference is big and most people who switch from public to pte have problems settling in. Based on experience this is a big disadvantage during interview as they will usually ask question like why they should take the risk to hire you. Little you can do to convince except say the usual thing like you are flexible, willing to learn, can work hard etc etc

Big pay cut. By the time you finish your bond you will be making about 4.5k+, unlikely that pte sector can match your pay. Depending on the industry and company, starting pay for masters freshies can range from 2.5 - 4k. When you are young, pay cut might seem like no big deal. But by late 20s usually you will have bf/gf, thinking of settling down, getting car, getting house, going on frequent holiday etc, by then a 1k pay cut is no joke for sure.

At the end of the day, depend on whether you want to take the risk. Many people have same plan like you sign up SAF, Police want to get free education and lobo but when the time comes to quit, they unwilling or unable because of above factors. Think carefully and walk in with eyes open.

My advice is if you join MOE, be prepared to be a normal teacher for the rest of your life and treat any promotion to HOD/VP/P as a bonus. Dun join with the hope or expectation to get real promotion climb ladder etc, this is just setting up yourself for disappointment.

Hello there managed to unearth this valuable piece of advice while looking through. I just want to say thank you for giving this advice, it's honest and straightforward.

DenSher 04-02-2014 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan (Post 47047)
I've actually received the same email from MOE, saying that my application is shortlisted and in competition with the rest of the candidates.

I'm staying positive and assuming that it is because it's year end, and they're not able to clear all the applications. And since they do not want to "lose" us, they're keeping us updated!

Cross fingers ya!

All the best!

Hi Shan, I'm Densher. I too, applied for a teacher post. I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago but no news. May I know how long they took from your application to calling you up for an interview?

Many thanks!

DenSher

Unregistered 04-02-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenSher (Post 47879)
Hi Shan, I'm Densher. I too, applied for a teacher post. I submitted my application about 3 weeks ago but no news. May I know how long they took from your application to calling you up for an interview?

Many thanks!

DenSher

What are your qualifications? mid-career change or fresh grad?

Unregistered 04-02-2014 11:45 PM

I had a friend who went to the MP to chase MOE. So I think that's one way to do it. Probably gonna chastise them that the elections will be coming soon and more can be done for residents of the ward.

Unregistered 05-02-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47894)
I had a friend who went to the MP to chase MOE. So I think that's one way to do it. Probably gonna chastise them that the elections will be coming soon and more can be done for residents of the ward.

haha. You can probably expedite the reply. But, you can never change the outcomes. thing about applying to be a teacher with MOE is that they too must liaise back with NIE/NTU to accept you for their teaching degree/diploma. And NTU/NIE being pretty much unwavering institutions, you might just face a rejection.

Densher 07-02-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 47888)
What are your qualifications? mid-career change or fresh grad?

Hi,

I'll be graduating from UniSim in a few months time. I major and minor in teaching subjects cos I intend to apply to be a moe teacher.

I actually applied for a teacher post few years ago but was rejected and applied for the allied educator position instead. I was selected and worked as an AED for 4 years.

I suppose with a degree and 4 years of teaching experience, I would be a better candidate for their selection. Besides, I had experience setting exam papers and conducting independent classroom teaching in the school.

However, this is already the 5th week and I haven't received any calls. I am really disheartened.

What should I do?

Densher

Unregistered 02-03-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46727)
Does anyone know how much (in percentage) will annual increments be for GEO1A2

The percentage increment is based on your performance grade.
For a B grader, it's 4% thereabout.

Unregistered 04-03-2014 10:46 PM

may i know how long will it take for a female education officer to promote from GEO1.1 to GEO 1A1? And is it normal for GEO 1.1 to be getting C for first year grading ?