Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 30-03-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23048)
Of course it is possible. I bought a condo in 2006 for $670K with 20% downpayment (Cash + CPF) and sold it last year for $1.43m and made more than $600K after accounting for interest, stamp duty, renovation cost etc.

I bought icon studio at tanjong pager in 2005 at 350k, sold last year at 950k. Also bought oxley one 2rm at 480k, sold 1.3m recently.
It easy to make money in property last time , only 10% down payment.

Reach 50 this year, sitting on 2.5mm cash waiting for next bubble burst to enter again

Unregistered 30-03-2012 04:22 PM

seldom ngShric

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23055)
Yup it's like betting big/small. After the round, those aunties will say aiyah if I had bet that other one, I would have made money.

If investing is so easy, everyone would be rich.

Ok, in that case you better work very hard for many years in your life ok?
Work til you die. Good job auntie/ah pek! That's the spirit!

Unregistered 30-03-2012 04:30 PM

aGSCDn and

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23053)
Aiyoh.. I think the biggest regret for your husband should be marrying a wife like you... only know how to complain and blame him for being prudent to protect the family.. Assuming if he really bought the Quartz in 2006, but somehow property prices crashed... You would also be blaming him i'm sure... Women everyday stay at home will get fat.. better go and work lah..

Ok, I blame myself. Should have bought a 2 roomer with my own $$. I was stupid. I thought of buying only 3 roomers with hubby. That's why woman work, they have the $$ to make their own decision and not be swayed by hubby.

BTW, is the quited comment coming from a fat stay-at-home aunty? I mean, she said 'Aiyoh'.... sounding like shegot fat staying at home, or maybe her sisters became like that or something....?hmm

Unregistered 30-03-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23095)
I bought icon studio at tanjong pager in 2005 at 350k, sold last year at 950k. Also bought oxley one 2rm at 480k, sold 1.3m recently.
It easy to make money in property last time , only 10% down payment.

Reach 50 this year, sitting on 2.5mm cash waiting for next bubble burst to enter again

Sounds easy.

The problem with your younger peers trying to emulate what you did is that they won't have much savings even when the next bubble burst. To buy a modest house and a simple car to raise a family today will wipe out the average couple's savings. Unless they sacrifice a lot to save up for that investment opportunity that may or may not come, they will never be like you.

Unregistered 30-03-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23100)
Sounds easy.

The problem with your younger peers trying to emulate what you did is that they won't have much savings even when the next bubble burst. To buy a modest house and a simple car to raise a family today will wipe out the average couple's savings. Unless they sacrifice a lot to save up for that investment opportunity that may or may not come, they will never be like you.

Many young chaps in this forum already hitting 20k a month by age 35. Multiply by 2 if wife working. Can easily catch up unlike me going into semi retirement

Unregistered 31-03-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23103)
Many young chaps in this forum already hitting 20k a month by age 35. Multiply by 2 if wife working. Can easily catch up unlike me going into semi retirement

Then this forum is full of outliers.

I thought GCT said average pay is only 3k.

Unregistered 31-03-2012 02:39 PM

so gullible.. they say and you believe?? I think they also mention their salary is very low...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23106)
Then this forum is full of outliers.

I thought GCT said average pay is only 3k.

Unregistered 31-03-2012 02:46 PM

Aiyoh.. Complaining auntie angry already.. Muwhahahaha... i'm just teaching you how to be a good wife.. Bye, bye auntie.. Remember to go and exercise hor... Women got flabby tummy not pretty one... :) No need to dream about Quartz anymore.. Price won't come down one... Muwhahahaha... You should dream about your waistline "26" instead... hahahaha....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23098)
Ok, I blame myself. Should have bought a 2 roomer with my own $$. I was stupid. I thought of buying only 3 roomers with hubby. That's why woman work, they have the $$ to make their own decision and not be swayed by hubby.

BTW, is the quited comment coming from a fat stay-at-home aunty? I mean, she said 'Aiyoh'.... sounding like shegot fat staying at home, or maybe her sisters became like that or something....?hmm

Unregistered 31-03-2012 10:09 PM

I think u mean i should be more gullible and believe someone whom post here

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23113)
so gullible.. they say and you believe?? I think they also mention their salary is very low...

Unregistered 31-03-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23113)

So everybody making $200k these days?

Unregistered 04-04-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23114)
Aiyoh.. Complaining auntie angry already.. Muwhahahaha... i'm just teaching you how to be a good wife.. Bye, bye auntie.. Remember to go and exercise hor... Women got flabby tummy not pretty one... :) No need to dream about Quartz anymore.. Price won't come down one... Muwhahahaha... You should dream about your waistline "26" instead... hahahaha....

I'm not aunty ok, I'm =====> Esther and my waist is 25. And I'm here to stay!
How you know women got flabby tummy? You got one? Or your wife got one? Actually men also got one, haha.

Unregistered 20-06-2012 11:34 AM

Hi all

I am due to have interview with MOE on thursday. Since I've missed the PDGE 2012, (if successful), I'll have to go contract teaching before PDGE.

So, is the salary during contract teaching similar to that during PDGE?

Unregistered 21-06-2012 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 23293)
I'm not aunty ok, I'm =====> Esther and my waist is 25. And I'm here to stay!
How you know women got flabby tummy? You got one? Or your wife got one? Actually men also got one, haha.

your husband is not a man meh?? hahahaha.. Once again.. this stupid woman has unwittingly insulted her own husband again.. Must be retribution from his past life for your husband to marry such a stupid and complaining woman like you...

singaporeteacher 22-06-2012 02:13 AM

Hello Unregistered 20-06-2012, 11:34 AM,

You can expect a S$300-500 Salary hike atleast after your PGDE.

I am also applying for my PGDE, hope you can answer a few questions for me as well:
  1. How long after you applied, did you get the interview email/letter?
  2. How much notice did they give you for the interview?
  3. How do you know that the cutocc for July2012 has enede. What i hear is their orientation is only in 30 July, so you may be able to make it.

Good Luck for your interview and do let me know how it was

singaporeteacher 22-06-2012 02:22 AM

Anybody know how much a mid career engineer with 15 years work experience can expect when changing over to teaching? I am interested to know during PGDE and after PGDE salaries.

Unregistered 23-06-2012 01:15 PM

Mid career switch

I am also considering a career switch from engineer to teacher (junior college level). Does any one have a rough estimation of what the salary will be like during NIE and after NIE? My qualifications are a masters of engineering and about 6 years of working experience.

I am thinking if i should study another part time masters of science - if it helps to increase my salary by some amount?

Any teachers out there who can advise me? Thank u.

Unregistered 23-06-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26010)
I am also considering a career switch from engineer to teacher (junior college level). Does any one have a rough estimation of what the salary will be like during NIE and after NIE? My qualifications are a masters of engineering and about 6 years of working experience.

I am thinking if i should study another part time masters of science - if it helps to increase my salary by some amount?

if with NS, the salary range would be 4.2-4.6k

Unregistered 23-06-2012 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 25930)
your husband is not a man meh?? hahahaha.. Once again.. this stupid woman has unwittingly insulted her own husband again.. Must be retribution from his past life for your husband to marry such a stupid and complaining woman like you...

So funny, the topic is about career as teacher. How did this comment come about?

Unregistered 23-06-2012 05:24 PM

Mid career switch

So will there be a difference in the salary with a masters of science and masters of engineering? Also any diff if teaching in jc and sec sch, assuming same qualifications?

Isaac 23-06-2012 05:52 PM

salary range

nah.. no diff ba.. they only consider your 1st degree... masters open up yr opportunity to take up leadership roles in sch

Unregistered 25-06-2012 04:52 PM

The salary for mid-career will varies depends on experience & qualifications (i think)

The one quote above was much higher that what I actually seen.

They have different range and banding. The one I know is $3.8k-$4.4k (this is for 10yrs exp with degree in art...corp coms sector)

singaporeteacher 26-06-2012 02:43 AM

So can an engineer with 15 years experience and working as mechanical engineer get around 5.5-6K?

I hear that they now send you for school student teaching first before the next batch of PGDE term.

What is the salary that you can expect when serving as a student teacher, during PGDE and after PGDE? Or is the salary just based on Before PGDE and after PGDE?

Unregistered 28-06-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singaporeteacher (Post 26090)
So can an engineer with 15 years experience and working as mechanical engineer get around 5.5-6K?

I hear that they now send you for school student teaching first before the next batch of PGDE term.

What is the salary that you can expect when serving as a student teacher, during PGDE and after PGDE? Or is the salary just based on Before PGDE and after PGDE?

5.5K for a untrained teacher??!! No way!! If they pay you that amount, alot of the old timers are going to hang themselves since they had to slog so many years to hit that salary scale..... they should be offering you somewhere around 4k taking into account your zero teaching experience and age.. and that is if they even find you suitable in the first place... Why leave engineering?? Yearning for a high paying job with less work responsibilities?? Must agree that engineers shoulder so much responsibilities for so little money... work in hazardous environments... furthermore the older you get, the less value you can command.. Anytime will get retrenchment cos you are old, slow and expensive... You will not have this type of nonsense in MOE.. somemore salary progression is almost guaranteed every few years...

singaporeteacher 03-07-2012 11:56 PM

Anybody knows the salary range for GEO1A1, GEO1A2 and GEO1A3. I heard from a teacher that people with other working experience are actually offered salaries based on these scales depending on their years of experience rather than GEO1A grade.

The contributor previously who had gone for his/her interview on Thursday, please share your experience with us. Thanks!

Unregistered 04-07-2012 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by singaporeteacher (Post 26090)

Scare retrenchment then join as teachers. These is one of the reasons why the quality of our teachers is dropping.

Unregistered 07-07-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 26010)

You do not get a choice of which school to teach.

FYI, there are Doctorates teaching in primary schools.

Unregistered 29-08-2012 12:58 PM

lets keep the thread going... any experienced and existing teachers to share their views?

Unregistered 01-09-2012 11:17 PM

I'm a current teacher teaching in a primary school. Frankly, if you are a responsible teacher, the salary definately doesn't match the amount of work and effort your have to put in. Generally you are to teach around 35-40 periods per week, not including helping to do relief. Apart from reaching the school around 7-715am, you are expected to carry out supplementary or remedial lessons every week. That's about 2-3 days? Then CCA takes another day. So, on these days, your day ends at about 3pm-4pm. Then, weekly meeting sometimes end around 5pm plus all the courses the school helps you to sign up. Getting pupils to stay back for corrections after remedial takes another hour. Not forgetting the time needed to do marking, setting and vetting papers. Even after staying till 5-6pm, you may still need to work from home! Holidays are spent preparing work, events and attending meetings. That leaves your around 3weeks of holiday after a year of hard work.

Are we paid a lot? No! Many of us stayed on because if our passion in teaching. Of cos there are free loaders in the industry. But at the expense of the children? Thats totally unprofessional. Please don't teach if you don't have the passion to teach. Only the passion can keep you going, not the $$.

Unregistered 01-09-2012 11:54 PM

Someone mentioned in another thread that teachers can earn 100k per annum before their mid thirties. How true is it?

Unregistered 02-09-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27891)
Someone mentioned in another thread that teachers can earn 100k per annum before their mid thirties. How true is it?

Not sure about that, but I know many work outside as tuition teachers and earn alot more from that(definitely 100k per annum combined).

Unregistered 02-09-2012 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27892)
Not sure about that, but I know many work outside as tuition teachers and earn alot more from that(definitely 100k per annum combined).

So the long hours in school still accord them enough time to moonlight as tuition teachers!

Unregistered 02-09-2012 11:26 AM

8% increment for teachers

Congratulations to all teachers....for the hefty market adjustment of 8%.

Banged my teacher 04-09-2012 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 21708)
a lot of modern teachers today not exactly the holiest saints around lor.
I once brought back a jc teacher i met at a club and she's those super chiong every week kind and worships angmo (SPG!). I also know of another lady who was the 3rd party in an engaged couple and they did all sorts of unwholesome stuff in the staff room toilet. all 3 of them are/were teachers. Dunno what happened after that or now.

But what i notice is that although their actions might be a bit unhealthy but what you notice is that they have the passion for their kids and that teacher 'fire' in them that they have when you talk to them.

I can confirm that a small minority of teachers nowadays are quite havok. Some of course still maintain their puritan image,... but those that are wild, are really wild.

Unregistered 07-09-2012 08:45 PM

Career as a teacher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 27891)

It's true in a good year, meaning when the economy is good and if the teacher's performance is good. Usually the high performers will be able to earn 100k per year (including bonuses).

Unregistered 27-09-2012 07:56 PM

Current payscales

(This is after the recent 8% increment)

(For beginning GEO1 rates, prob can just refer to MOE website)
GEO1A1: 3380-5540
GEO1A2: 4450-6912
GEO1A3: 4806-7452
SEO1: 5184-8316
SEO1A1: 7236-9288
SEO1A2: 8748-11232

Of course, most teachers max out at GEO1A3. SEO1, 1A1, 1A2 are for SH/LH, HOD, VP ranks respectively.

As mentioned before, pay alone won't sustain you... really need to find the job meaningful to go on. That said, if you think you'll enjoy it, the numbers above should help you make a decision ;)

Unregistered 03-10-2012 09:05 PM

pay increment from GEO 1.1 to GEO 1A1

does anyone know what is the increment for GEO 1.1 to GEO 1A1, not inclusive of annual increment?

Unregistered 04-10-2012 09:33 AM

Thanks for the info below, very useful.

What I find confusing is the very limited range over the whole career. For eg. let's say I am a good performer who can retire at the max of SEO1A1 monthly of 9288.

If I join MOE at 25 yrs old with standard honors, starting is already ~3400. That means over the next 40 years of my career until retirement, I only have 9288 - 3400 = 5888 to move assuming best case scenario .That works out to be ~2.5% increment annual.

Historically the range increase a few % every few years, but it does not seem to gel with all the stories I keep hearing from my teacher friends about easily getting 6% to 10% yearly. At that kind of rate they would have hit the ceiling before 40 yrs old. This situation is much worse for an average performer who retires at GEO1A3 max of 7452.

Only reason I can think of is they actually slow down the increment a lot in the later years.

Anyone with exp can share?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28591)
(This is after the recent 8% increment)

(For beginning GEO1 rates, prob can just refer to MOE website)
GEO1A1: 3380-5540
GEO1A2: 4450-6912
GEO1A3: 4806-7452
SEO1: 5184-8316
SEO1A1: 7236-9288
SEO1A2: 8748-11232

Of course, most teachers max out at GEO1A3. SEO1, 1A1, 1A2 are for SH/LH, HOD, VP ranks respectively.

As mentioned before, pay alone won't sustain you... really need to find the job meaningful to go on. That said, if you think you'll enjoy it, the numbers above should help you make a decision ;)

Teacher 04-10-2012 11:23 AM

I got around $500 promotion increment from 1.1 to 1A1.

As for progression, what I hear is that it's not that rare for officers to max out their payscale… I'm nowhere near that stage yet so can't give any first-hand info, though.

Unregistered 04-10-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 28713)
Thanks for the info below, very useful.

What I find confusing is the very limited range over the whole career. For eg. let's say I am a good performer who can retire at the max of SEO1A1 monthly of 9288.

If I join MOE at 25 yrs old with standard honors, starting is already ~3400. That means over the next 40 years of my career until retirement, I only have 9288 - 3400 = 5888 to move assuming best case scenario .That works out to be ~2.5% increment annual.

Historically the range increase a few % every few years, but it does not seem to gel with all the stories I keep hearing from my teacher friends about easily getting 6% to 10% yearly. At that kind of rate they would have hit the ceiling before 40 yrs old. This situation is much worse for an average performer who retires at GEO1A3 max of 7452.

Only reason I can think of is they actually slow down the increment a lot in the later years.

Anyone with exp can share?

Your friends must be still young. MOE is not stupid, they know that an average person from leaving school to late 30s is easy to get jobs & hop around, so they make sure the increase & pay match or exceed outside.

But once you hit 40, they know you screwed. Most teachers >40 no other work experience, got liability, where else can they run? That is when their increment suddenly become pathetic and sometimes don't even get any because max range already. whatever peanut, you also LLST.

My uncle is a retired teacher, he told me for the last 15 years with MOE, his salary just adjust slightly every few years because he long time ago already hit the max.

Unregistered 04-10-2012 12:34 PM

Then be smart about it. Save up and start a tuition centre with fellow senior teachers. Tuition business will boom like crazy in the next few years cos schools don't do proper teaching anymore - they "teach less" and now encourage kids to "play more".