Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 18-03-2023 02:44 PM

Which also explains why that KP speficially stated he/she “tanked department work”. Cos it’s his/her department. Gross

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242945)
That’s why some teachers prioritise committee work over remedial classes and consultations with students! Consultations and remedial add little value towards appraisal as compared to committee work.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242949)
Which also explains why that KP speficially stated he/she “tanked department work”. Cos it’s his/her department. Gross

lol wtf never do work also tio, do work also tio. If dept members cannot handle the work, HOD step in to do, wrong meh?

smlj. So many people in the service with the "whole world is against me" mentality. If it seems like a few people are against you, sure. If it seems like the whole system is against you, maybe the problem lies in your own head.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 03:49 PM

The post seems to only state the obvious. Why so offended till need to use abbreviations of swear words? What happened to your Lead Care Inspire?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242951)
lol wtf never do work also tio, do work also tio. If dept members cannot handle the work, HOD step in to do, wrong meh?

smlj. So many people in the service with the "whole world is against me" mentality. If it seems like a few people are against you, sure. If it seems like the whole system is against you, maybe the problem lies in your own head.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 03:51 PM

Current SH tanks everything for the dept/unit, everything also want to do. Said it was to offload our work when it is so obvious it is for the portfolio and PB. New to the school so just keeping quiet for the time being. Best is get news of promotion in April and I can float. If not, gonna zao after 3 years. I also want my own PD.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242939)
The scenario is not simply a comparison between teaching high needs vs low needs class.

The situation on the ground is that different teachers hold different types of portfolios, as different as apples and oranges. But management seems to prefer apple or orange over the other.

For example, take a comparison of 2 teachers of same age and same paygrade.

Teacher A:
Due to manpower shortage in the department, need to take on additional classes and graduating classes. Timetable is overloaded. In other areas, just an ordinary committee member, ordinary CCA teacher.
Burn 80h weeks doing T&L related stuff (lessons, homework marking, exam-related stuff, testimonial, additional classes for grad classes)

Teacher B:
Normal class load, or maybe lower, and appointment as CCA OIC and committee head/2ic. Placed in charge to plan and lead a major school event, for example, NE week leading up to national day, or organise the school's anniversary celebration and coordinating with the VIPs attending the event. Also burn 80h work weeks doing all these stuff.

In terms of time and effort, both teachers are definitely not slacking, and are working too hard.
But when it comes to appraisal, teacher B will be favoured over teacher A, because the system deems such non-academic work as being 'more impactful'.
Which is not necessarily true.

Just because an event involved the entire school population, got VIPs involved, it doesn't make it more important than learning in the classroom.

At the end of the day, if we ask the real stakeholders, the parents and students, if they were to choose to between lessons and school event, which would they think is more important, the answer is quite obvious.

The priorities are severely misplaced in the appraisal of teachers.

Actually it is already communicated to us that appraisal is mainly based on the level of impact. Might sound like priorities are misplaced but the hint is there.

If you just focus on teaching your class well, the impact, at the end of the day, is only on your class. You can make the impact greater by sharing what you have done with your class with other teachers in your level and ensuring they carry it out with their classes. That way, your impact will be increased to level-wide instead of just on your class only.

Granted, it is not easy to do this cos you will need the support of your level teachers and a certain level of influence. But this is one way to kill two birds with one stone.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 03:54 PM

Be careful here. Some people cannnot take the truth and will use swear words on you. Maybe they are KP, maybe not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242957)
Current SH tanks everything for the dept/unit, everything also want to do. Said it was to offload our work when it is so obvious it is for the portfolio and PB. New to the school so just keeping quiet for the time being. Best is get news of promotion in April and I can float. If not, gonna zao after 3 years. I also want my own PD.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242959)
Be careful here. Some people cannnot take the truth and will use swear words on you. Maybe they are KP, maybe not.

Truth is you are just egocentric and believe the world revolves around you. It's ok, you can resign, it's within your rights to do so. Go and see the private sector.... oh, oops! The world still doesn't revolve around you!

Unregistered 18-03-2023 05:31 PM

Quote:

So satki you open your mouth tell your RO you volunteer for the extra work lah. Otherwise let the next better player do it and put it on their portfolio.

Haven't seen a case where somebody gets denied extra work if they volunteer to tank it. Unless their bread and butter (T&L) cannot make it. If that's the case, can forget about promotion too.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242976)
So satki you open your mouth tell your RO you volunteer for the extra work lah. Otherwise let the next better player do it and put it on their portfolio.

Haven't seen a case where somebody gets denied extra work if they volunteer to tank it. Unless their bread and butter (T&L) cannot make it. If that's the case, can forget about promotion too.

Wah the aggression here... PB didn't get what you want is it :p
Take a chill pill and enjoy the rest of your hols :)
Some people are just like that lor, got help got ppl volunteer also want to do everything on their own
Every one two months then medical appointment cos got health issues and ask ka kia like us dang
Nowadays all kinds of people also have

Unregistered 18-03-2023 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242695)
GEO 3, A Grade, PB 3.0

I am Geo 3, A Grade, 3.5mths

Unregistered 18-03-2023 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242958)
Actually it is already communicated to us that appraisal is mainly based on the level of impact. Might sound like priorities are misplaced but the hint is there.

If you just focus on teaching your class well, the impact, at the end of the day, is only on your class. You can make the impact greater by sharing what you have done with your class with other teachers in your level and ensuring they carry it out with their classes. That way, your impact will be increased to level-wide instead of just on your class only.

Granted, it is not easy to do this cos you will need the support of your level teachers and a certain level of influence. But this is one way to kill two birds with one stone.

After attending sharings at school, cluster, zonal, and even national level, you come to realize that classroom teaching is more or less the same.

It is a people-job, and ultimately boils down to classroom time, practice, and consistency in students' effort.

There is no substitute for giving work, and marking work.

A class that do more work, gets their work marked promptly and getting the needed feedback, will do better than a class with less work, and less feedback.

Every few years they will introduce new fads, and teachers will rush to follow.
Like using ict tools such as padlet, kahoot, mentimeter in lessons.

And then latest fad is to change the way lesson plans are designed.

But if we look at the flow of lessons, it's always essentially about teaching-class work- homework.

Same stuff, just packaged differently.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242983)
After attending sharings at school, cluster, zonal, and even national level, you come to realize that classroom teaching is more or less the same.

It is a people-job, and ultimately boils down to classroom time, practice, and consistency in students' effort.

There is no substitute for giving work, and marking work.

A class that do more work, gets their work marked promptly and getting the needed feedback, will do better than a class with less work, and less feedback.

Every few years they will introduce new fads, and teachers will rush to follow.
Like using ict tools such as padlet, kahoot, mentimeter in lessons.

And then latest fad is to change the way lesson plans are designed.

But if we look at the flow of lessons, it's always essentially about teaching-class work- homework.

Same stuff, just packaged differently.

Packaging matters ;)

Whether we want to admit or like it or not...

Unregistered 18-03-2023 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242869)
what I mean is that I tanked most of the department events as they have their own personal concern and activities because they surface their personal concern/commitment e.g. need to take care of aged parents/young parents and I listen to their needs and lead the way.

Next time, please don't assume and jump to conclusion. thanks.

I think you are a good KP. Please don't burn yourself out!

Unregistered 18-03-2023 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243001)
Packaging matters ;)

Whether we want to admit or like it or not...

Tell me about it. I have encountered all sorts thus far: Team-Based Learning, Inquiry Based Learning, Design Thinking, Assessment for Learning, Problem Based Learning.

Just what on earth are we doing? Is it a sin to teach the traditional way?

Unregistered 18-03-2023 10:12 PM

Quote:

I'd like a KP like this! Free up my time to prepare for T&L.

Unregistered 18-03-2023 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243004)
Tell me about it. I have encountered all sorts thus far: Team-Based Learning, Inquiry Based Learning, Design Thinking, Assessment for Learning, Problem Based Learning.

Sure, do kids learn better the traditional way? Or do they simply score well for exams with the tried and tested drill and practice Methods? What’s wrong with having new ways to teach?

Unregistered 18-03-2023 11:49 PM

Quote:

Creating more work for the sake of creating something new.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 12:00 AM

Quote:

The comment with the most wisdom so far

Unregistered 19-03-2023 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 242958)

At a basketball match if one insist to use your legs to kick the ball because it's more effective, one will definitely be fouled.

KRAs are subjective but also very clear that academics are only one area that one is assessed. Can argue against it till the cows come home, it won't make a difference.

It's also not that "teaching" work is low impact, but it's clearly stated that GEO4s and especially GEO5s are expected to impact teaching beyond just their own class. GEO5s need to make level-wide impact. And these expectations are just for meeting expectations i.e. a C.

Let's say teaching SEN students is one's passion and strength. How to increase impact? Not by teaching more and more classes with SEN students. But by contributing at level-level, school-level, cluster-level or even national-level. High-impact work may not be more effort which is less enjoyable. Mentor younger teachers or peers who need help with SEN students. Write newsletters to share about SEN strategies. Be the IC / initiate some SEN-related committee or event. Make sharing on school, cluster or national platform about teaching SEN students.

High impact work need not be tiring or meaningless. Go with your passion, then extend the level of impact higher.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 09:12 AM

Quote:

You sound like one of those boomer teachers who are too stuck in their ways to realise that times have changed. Please retire soon so that you don't stand in the way of younger teachers who have a better way of teaching.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243016)
At a basketball match if one insist to use your legs to kick the ball because it's more effective, one will definitely be fouled.

KRAs are subjective but also very clear that academics are only one area that one is assessed. Can argue against it till the cows come home, it won't make a difference.

It's also not that "teaching" work is low impact, but it's clearly stated that GEO4s and especially GEO5s are expected to impact teaching beyond just their own class. GEO5s need to make level-wide impact. And these expectations are just for meeting expectations i.e. a C.

Let's say teaching SEN students is one's passion and strength. How to increase impact? Not by teaching more and more classes with SEN students. But by contributing at level-level, school-level, cluster-level or even national-level. High-impact work may not be more effort which is less enjoyable. Mentor younger teachers or peers who need help with SEN students. Write newsletters to share about SEN strategies. Be the IC / initiate some SEN-related committee or event. Make sharing on school, cluster or national platform about teaching SEN students.

High impact work need not be tiring or meaningless. Go with your passion, then extend the level of impact higher.

Agree with this OP. Impact on students is still the KPI for all students. And impact shouldn’t be measured by academic results alone. Think of ways in which you can describe the impact you have made on your students socio-emotionally, mentally, self-esteem wise through the inclusive practices you can apply not only in the classroom but also in your daily interactions with the students

Unregistered 19-03-2023 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243031)
Agree with this OP. Impact on students is still the KPI for all students. And impact shouldn’t be measured by academic results alone. Think of ways in which you can describe the impact you have made on your students socio-emotionally, mentally, self-esteem wise through the inclusive practices you can apply not only in the classroom but also in your daily interactions with the students

*typo - KPI for all teachers

Unregistered 19-03-2023 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243024)
You sound like one of those boomer teachers who are too stuck in their ways to realise that times have changed. Please retire soon so that you don't stand in the way of younger teachers who have a better way of teaching.

New ways might not always be better.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 11:30 AM

Alot of useless buzzwords n little value added.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243041)
Alot of useless buzzwords n little value added.

Like your post

Unregistered 19-03-2023 01:15 PM

My 2 cents

A bit of background abt myself. Current Geo 4, 7yrs in service with consistent A or B grade, was offered several times to take on leadership or ST roles but prefer being HOT. CCA IC, 2IC of committee. Teach 2 very different subjects and in 2 different IP departments and takes on talent development roles in both departments. Basically I can teach both subjects across level and across different streams and I am usually FT for NA classes. My RO is from my CS1 subject and I really thank my RO for giving me tasks that I enjoyed doing, even managed to complete my part-time masters when I was at the school. I am also thankful for the opportunities given even when I told my RO that I am going to apply for open posting for HQ work which I have gotten successfully.

After reading this tread, I can sense a lot of angst among HOT and KPs and I am glad that I have a nurturing RO who is willing to fight for us and take the lead to lessen the workload for me and my department. It’s not easy being a leader especially when you want things to be done and not burn any bridges. Therefore, I am quite resistent to take on leadership roles and that probably explain why I am still at Geo 4. But I am happy where I am cos I got two young kids at home waiting for me, at the end of the day, I feel that teaching is just a job to me. Although, I must clarify that while at the job, I will give my all and do my best but at the end of the day, all of us are replaceable, but you can’t replace the role of being parents to your kids.

I love talking to people and a lot of sage HOT have encouraged me not to be a one school teacher, therefore even though I am extremely comfortable in my current role, i took the plunge and applied for open posting. HQ work is tedious but at the same time I feel invigorated by my new job scope. Therefore, I urged those who are currently unhappy with your RO/sch management or feel stagnant to take a leap of faith to change your current situation.

Some tips for HQ position, good to have a masters, so if you are 3-4yrs in your career and need a challenge, apply for sponsorship or scholarship. Secondly, show that you can work with people across different departments or you have done collaborative projects with different IP departments, that will also boost your chances of landing a HQ posting.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243059)
A bit of background abt myself. Current Geo 4, 7yrs in service with consistent A or B grade, was offered several times to take on leadership or ST roles but prefer being HOT. CCA IC, 2IC of committee. Teach 2 very different subjects and in 2 different IP departments and takes on talent development roles in both departments. Basically I can teach both subjects across level and across different streams and I am usually FT for NA classes. My RO is from my CS1 subject and I really thank my RO for giving me tasks that I enjoyed doing, even managed to complete my part-time masters when I was at the school. I am also thankful for the opportunities given even when I told my RO that I am going to apply for open posting for HQ work which I have gotten successfully.

After reading this tread, I can sense a lot of angst among HOT and KPs and I am glad that I have a nurturing RO who is willing to fight for us and take the lead to lessen the workload for me and my department. It’s not easy being a leader especially when you want things to be done and not burn any bridges. Therefore, I am quite resistent to take on leadership roles and that probably explain why I am still at Geo 4. But I am happy where I am cos I got two young kids at home waiting for me, at the end of the day, I feel that teaching is just a job to me. Although, I must clarify that while at the job, I will give my all and do my best but at the end of the day, all of us are replaceable, but you can’t replace the role of being parents to your kids.

I love talking to people and a lot of sage HOT have encouraged me not to be a one school teacher, therefore even though I am extremely comfortable in my current role, i took the plunge and applied for open posting. HQ work is tedious but at the same time I feel invigorated by my new job scope. Therefore, I urged those who are currently unhappy with your RO/sch management or feel stagnant to take a leap of faith to change your current situation.

Some tips for HQ position, good to have a masters, so if you are 3-4yrs in your career and need a challenge, apply for sponsorship or scholarship. Secondly, show that you can work with people across different departments or you have done collaborative projects with different IP departments, that will also boost your chances of landing a HQ posting.

Thank you for sharing :)

Are you a scholar?

Is your part-time masters fully sponsored? What are the chances of qualifying for full-time masters which is fully sponsored?

Also, it is actually pretty hard to get consistent As and Bs if

1. You are not a scholar.

2. You don't have an RO or SL who can fight for you.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243061)

Are you a scholar?

Is your part-time masters fully sponsored? What are the chances of qualifying for full-time masters which is fully sponsored?

What's with this assumption that scholars are likely to get A/Bs? On panel and already been through years where non-scholars get A/Bs, while scholars struggle to even get a C+. Point is, regardless of status, you need to prove yourself & have an RO/SL who acknowledges your contributions. Scholars may have more visible work opportunities, but if they mess up, that's it.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 01:53 PM

Quote:

Fake news.

It's hard to get consistent As and Bs if you are not competent, not innovative, have a closed perspective and get too comfortable instead of constantly seeking improvement.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 02:05 PM

somehow i think u guys are missing out a more important point

yes scholar or non-scholar, maybe wont affect grades that much

but ultimately its still down to how the reporting officer or P decides on the grade

if only a few or junior heads speak for an officer and cannot overrule the seniors during ranking, then everything is still pointless la

Unregistered 19-03-2023 02:09 PM

sin

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243015)
The comment with the most wisdom so far

yes because kids are not interested in learning the traditional way, and teaching doesn’t equate to learning …

Unregistered 19-03-2023 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243069)
somehow i think u guys are missing out a more important point

yes scholar or non-scholar, maybe wont affect grades that much

but ultimately its still down to how the reporting officer or P decides on the grade

if only a few or junior heads speak for an officer and cannot overrule the seniors during ranking, then everything is still pointless la

True that. Certain people who the P earmarked for promotion, will get the good performance grades necessary to expedite their promotion.

Many P when they come in, will replace some of the old timers KPs and install their own people.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 05:30 PM

Quote:

Are you a scholar?

I am not a scholar.

Part-time masters i still need to pay 6K+ upfront when I got accepted but MOE reimburse me when I graduated. So I do consider that fully sponsored but I heard that is some changes to the scheme.

I am just glad and happy to be in the circumstances that I am in. Supportive ROs with colleagues that I can depend on. My SLs are quite demanding and I can vouch that the HODs are tanking most of the responsibilities rather than wholesale push to us.

Unregistered 19-03-2023 10:27 PM

When will we know the promotee list?

Unregistered 19-03-2023 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243089)
I am not a scholar.

Part-time masters i still need to pay 6K+ upfront when I got accepted but MOE reimburse me when I graduated. So I do consider that fully sponsored but I heard that is some changes to the scheme.

I am just glad and happy to be in the circumstances that I am in. Supportive ROs with colleagues that I can depend on. My SLs are quite demanding and I can vouch that the HODs are tanking most of the responsibilities rather than wholesale push to us.

No more pdcm.

Need to apply for PG scholarship

Unregistered 19-03-2023 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243016)

One of the major issues that many have pointed out about the current state of performance review is that teachers who do good work teaching are not considered to have made an impact simply because

1. they do not, or are not given a chance to, showcase their pedagogy at a conference or in school or
2. they are not involved in school-wide events that have no direct relation to teaching.

For 1., any teacher who has attended such presentations often would realize the content is mainly fluff and packaging with no real boost to the academic performance of their students in a national setting.

There are even teachers who set papers based on what they teach for internal assessments and grade their own students unprofessionally by closing one eye.

It is also not surprising that there are teachers who are adept at gaming the system and simply do tasks that are deemed to have non-tangible impacts by SLs who also can use the outcomes for their own portfolios. After all, how to quantify that a teacher has improved the character or morale of students beyond what is written on paper or through perception?

There are teachers who do not even create their own teaching resources, would borrow from other teachers' slides and just go though the slides in class.

Such is the sad and wayang state of affairs

Unregistered 20-03-2023 02:54 AM

Appointment as KP

If you are about to be appointed as KP, how will you be informed? Can you share how you were first poached to become/accept KP position? Is it through RO or SLs, verbally or email? TIA!!

enjayell 20-03-2023 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243117)
One of the major issues that many have pointed out about the current state of performance review is that teachers who do good work teaching are not considered to have made an impact simply because

1. they do not, or are not given a chance to, showcase their pedagogy at a conference or in school or
2. they are not involved in school-wide events that have no direct relation to teaching.

For 1., any teacher who has attended such presentations often would realize the content is mainly fluff and packaging with no real boost to the academic performance of their students in a national setting.

There are even teachers who set papers based on what they teach for internal assessments and grade their own students unprofessionally by closing one eye.

It is also not surprising that there are teachers who are adept at gaming the system and simply do tasks that are deemed to have non-tangible impacts by SLs who also can use the outcomes for their own portfolios. After all, how to quantify that a teacher has improved the character or morale of students beyond what is written on paper or through perception?

There are teachers who do not even create their own teaching resources, would borrow from other teachers' slides and just go though the slides in class.

Such is the sad and wayang state of affairs

Unfortunately as previous posters have said, opportunities do depend on school manageable or your RO. Otherwise really need to find your own opportunities. Can always change school to find better opportunities.

I disagree however with dissing and discounting the value of sharings.

As for creation of quality teaching materials, yes perhaps that's sufficient impact for GEO2 & GEO3s, but for GEO4s & GEO5s its assumed to be done.

Unregistered 20-03-2023 05:19 AM

Happy Term 2 everyone!

Anw, regardless of the salary or pb, just try your best. Sharing resources is the way to go if you want lesser work. It’s totally okay to use your colleagues’ slides and resources in the classroom as long as you know how to tweak it to suit your students. Don’t be selfish and do your own resources and don’t share. Help each other out and don’t just see each other as competitors. In this way, you free up more time to work on projects that you like and will see yourself getting good grades.

Unregistered 20-03-2023 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 243112)
When will we know the promotee list?

Likely this week.