Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 17-03-2024 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271304)
I'm really not looking forward tomorrow. I feel at the rate I'm working I'm burning out. I'm basically managing a GEO 5 workload. I still have 3 years bond to clear. I can't imagine how some teachers could stay 20-35 over years in the service.

I'm considering to switch to other civil servant job or ministries. Don't even know if this is possible.

I want to do this for the sake of my health, mental wellbeing and my family.

Teaching job is no longer meaningful with all the superficial colleagues, kps and of course ranking.

Haiz

So long you are bonded, you are stuck

Unregistered 17-03-2024 11:24 PM

Is it true that there is going to be a rotation for HODs and KPs in all schools every 7 years? Some of the HOD like over there for 20 plus years and never move one. Life is too comfortable for them.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271332)
Is it true that there is going to be a rotation for HODs and KPs in all schools every 7 years? Some of the HOD like over there for 20 plus years and never move one. Life is too comfortable for them.

This would be a good move. Not just comfortable, many of them are holding on too dearly to their pet projects and too easy to build up their core cliques. It would help to break a bit of some toxicity.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271333)
This would be a good move. Not just comfortable, many of them are holding on too dearly to their pet projects and too easy to build up their core cliques. It would help to break a bit of some toxicity.

That being said, i don’t know if it will happen. Just hope it would. (Sorry can’t edit post so posted again.)

Unregistered 17-03-2024 11:32 PM

so did that teacher who cried depressed and blah blah committed suicide at the end?

Unregistered 18-03-2024 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271257)
I just want to point out that the reason why the PB bonus was changed to this way is exactly because people complained that hard working teachers were not recognised for the work that they did when bonuses were meted out via the salary grade. It's truly ironic that we're now back at wanting equal annual bonuses for everyone.

I guarantee that if we reverted to the old way, you'd see a different group complaining about how they get paid the same as their lazy counterparts.

Pointing out as well that when the new appraisal system was introduced, nobody expected that it is going to be Robin Hood system of taking from one and giving to another. Most assume MOE will not introduce negative grades such as D and expect someone to take that up. There are many such instances as well where HR took the feedback and unintended consequences came about? Remember how the epms became a laundry list? How pri Sch teachers thought by voicing out that sec Sch colleagues ended the term earlier and they would too benefit from it? Turn out MOE actually made the sec school teachers stay till week 10 instead. So what I am saying is while no system is perfect, the interpretation really makes life ironically harder than what was hoped for.

Unregistered 18-03-2024 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271353)
Pointing out as well that when the new appraisal system was introduced, nobody expected that it is going to be Robin Hood system of taking from one and giving to another. Most assume MOE will not introduce negative grades such as D and expect someone to take that up. There are many such instances as well where HR took the feedback and unintended consequences came about? Remember how the epms became a laundry list? How pri Sch teachers thought by voicing out that sec Sch colleagues ended the term earlier and they would too benefit from it? Turn out MOE actually made the sec school teachers stay till week 10 instead. So what I am saying is while no system is perfect, the interpretation really makes life ironically harder than what was hoped for.

Yup, good examples. Unfortunately, as much as we want to believe in open feedback culture, we also need to be mindful of how we package such feedback. Another example given a few pages ago was the feedback about GEO5s hitting the ceiling too early. The ministry's response to this feedback? Slow down lor. Drag out promotions, shrink merit increments, let average performers sit at GEO3 for 8 years or more so that they don't accidentally hit GEO5 ceiling too early!

Unregistered 18-03-2024 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271355)
Yup, good examples. Unfortunately, as much as we want to believe in open feedback culture, we also need to be mindful of how we package such feedback. Another example given a few pages ago was the feedback about GEO5s hitting the ceiling too early. The ministry's response to this feedback? Slow down lor. Drag out promotions, shrink merit increments, let average performers sit at GEO3 for 8 years or more so that they don't accidentally hit GEO5 ceiling too early!

It appears that MOE has the Equal Happiness Concept.
Those who give the feedback will result in equality.

Unregistered 18-03-2024 08:34 AM

May I ask what is the end game for high performing teachers?

Do they become principals? Or join the Ministry?

Unregistered 18-03-2024 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271368)
May I ask what is the end game for high performing teachers?

Do they become principals? Or join the Ministry?

this is a CEP thing la. most VP if not smart enugh.
overseas scholars diff - sky is the limit. there DGE or head stat boards etc. eg former dy dge heads ite . but these ppl are Ps early.
better Ps are also rotated as supts and Ds at hq .