Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 17-03-2024 02:17 AM

Appeal against Performance Grade

MP Louis Ng once mentioned that teachers can appeal against the performance grade. I wonder if anyone has tried that and how does it work. Appreciate people who have tried this method only not personal opinions on repercussions.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271181)
MP Louis Ng once mentioned that teachers can appeal against the performance grade. I wonder if anyone has tried that and how does it work. Appreciate people who have tried this method only not personal opinions on repercussions.

Tried and success rate is very slim. Maybe less than 1% success chance. The responsibility is on you to provide evidence and proof beyond reasonable doubt that there is element of unfairness with the ranking on you. You against the whole machinery where they will attempt to justify why the ranking was accurate. For a ranking to be overturned, the supt has to endorse and the PS has to support. Unless your case is extremely strong and supported with many evidences that they cannot overcome, chances are, your case will become part of the 99% since they will tell you this is a panel’s decision. It should ideally remove any bias against anyone.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271066)
Hahaha, that’s what laojiao do! Do enough to get at least a C and worst case is C-. D is not as easy to get unless you are really out of line. If you have gotten a D and do not know why, chances are the SMC use you as an easy target. Go to another school.

Would you work way more for less than a month pay over 1 year with many meetings after school or nights of extra work? I give some context here eh. A GEO3 of about $5000 getting 2.5 months PB is about the same cost to MOE as a GEO5 $8000 getting 1 month PB. Overall, it is still about costing. PB no doubt is about rewarding good performers but you got to ask yourself if it is sustainable for yourself. Don’t get caught in the rat race, especially when the difference is only less than 1 month worth of salary. If you overwork constantly, that $10000 extra you gain will eventually be spent on medical bills etc.

Sorry, but many young ones are no longer dumb enough to fall for such dangling carrots.

Some have already banded together to get out of the rat race by rejecting extra workload and having a collective agreement to feedback to their ROs that they are not looking for high grades or promotions. If their ROs are okay with such arrangements, the extra workload gets automatically redirected to GEO5s since they command a higher salary and are at a higher grade. Due to this, some GEO5 get C- or D for poor performance, or ultimately rage quit.

This is quite a good way to get rid of people coasting actually. Young officers can consider banding together to do this.

But if the young officers also quit (not that its bad for them, since they are young and still have many opportunities out there), its a lose-lose situation for the entire Ministry.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271160)
Actually, I think 'teachers' in HQ are promoted faster, scholar or not.

yes obviously if you know how to read epms descriptors
but there are those who don’t do well and cep is obviously lowered thereafter
these are the myopic can onky be told follow instructions ppl who can’t do conceptual thinking or see the picture picture

Unregistered 17-03-2024 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271206)
yes obviously if you know how to read epms descriptors
but there are those who don’t do well and cep is obviously lowered thereafter
these are the myopic can onky be told follow instructions ppl who can’t do conceptual thinking or see the picture picture

But if these myopic are also boss-pleaser.....So they move far also.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271204)
Sorry, but many young ones are no longer dumb enough to fall for such dangling carrots.

Some have already banded together to get out of the rat race by rejecting extra workload and having a collective agreement to feedback to their ROs that they are not looking for high grades or promotions. If their ROs are okay with such arrangements, the extra workload gets automatically redirected to GEO5s since they command a higher salary and are at a higher grade. Due to this, some GEO5 get C- or D for poor performance, or ultimately rage quit.

This is quite a good way to get rid of people coasting actually. Young officers can consider banding together to do this.

But if the young officers also quit (not that its bad for them, since they are young and still have many opportunities out there), its a lose-lose situation for the entire Ministry.

I am confused. So young officers should coast right at the beginning? When the GEO5 left, wouldn’t they become the next batch to be weed off from their own design? If they intend to quit a few years down the road after their bond, I can understand. But there is simply no incentive to themselves if they intend to stay for the long run.

Unregistered 17-03-2024 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270940)
Within the same grade there are still different baskets.

Geo 5, A, 2.95.
For those who are wondering if consecutive As and Bs for 2-3 years means a guaranteed promotion, I can safely tell you that it is definitely not true, or no longer true even since the pandemic period.

Correct. Many delulu people posting on forum here, thinking that a few years of good performance grades can result in promotion. Promotion has never worked that way in the past and definitely not in future, esp when CEP system is abolished. Officers can find themselves in the same grade for many years even though they have “good” grades because they may be deemed to be not suitable for demonstrating competencies of next grade. Also from HR and org-level point of view, upward movement eg promotion is not the only way to develop careers now.

Times are changing fuys, get used to the new era in the civil service and also MOE

Unregistered 17-03-2024 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 270836)
Ya my school went through something like that. West side one. And then hearsay from my HOD is the sup give the SLs 2 years to improve the culture. But in the end one of my VP from doing EO become go admin. Is considered demoted liao cos is not the old kind yet. So instead of move up to P, now demote. I think in the end the SLs they blame blame then find out is VP nv do much or what.

Anyway 2 years later got improve the results so I will say some things they got slowly solve la

Your school from the west and was merged? Haha

Unregistered 17-03-2024 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271148)
I started in 2019. Managed to get promoted in 2020 (cohort promotion) and 2022 (GEO4) with thr exact same grades. Though I suppose I was fortunate my cep had been pushed up prior. Am just a TSL. to my knowledge, I only know EMS scholars and above who have gotten promoted within 2 years. Slim but is possible.

And if you don't, getting that promotion within three years is also awesomely fast! Don't get fixated on promotion as it isn't a reward. As some have mentioned, it means having to meet high KRAs which you may not be ready to take on too. Find fulfillment in other areas too besides promotion and monetary increment.

Thanks for sharing. Just wondering if you were offered to take up an internal KP role on year of promotion, or went for FHQ posting?

Unregistered 17-03-2024 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 271056)
After reading the recent posts, it sounds as though ranking is mostly down to luck eventually. Perhaps sometimes, transparency and fairness really don't apply? Lol

You believe anonymous people on the Internet who will likely cast themselves in the most positive light and downplay other people's work?