Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1722-ministry-defence-singapore-dxo-all-faq.html)

flower95 19-06-2020 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138891)
Hi everyone,

I am a fresh graduate from one of the local university, holding FCH. Just wondering if it would be better for fresh graduate to explore private sector before joining as a DXO? I heard people saying that joining DXO will limit the future opportunities since the skills used and picked up as a DXO is very niche and not transferable. To what extent is this true? Appreciate if you guys can share your views if a fresh grad should join DXO? TIA!

Hello there!
I am a recent grad too (graduated late last year). Just a disclaimer first that I am not an experienced DXO but more of a current applicant.

My thoughts for your question is that, ultimately, what is the purpose or the end objective you are really looking for / aiming to achieve? Like for me, I am really looking into a more purposeful/meaningful career and I am more keen to contribute to public interests as compared to the interest of a single entity, I feel that by joining DXO, it's a good chance to learn new stuff and also contribute back to the nation. If I am just looking into future opportunities, then yes, I would focus more on private sector as I believed it do has more growth opportunities and lesser boundaries.

If you dont mind me asking, what's your motivation to apply for DXO positions?

Unregistered 19-06-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flower95 (Post 138938)
Hello there!
I am a recent grad too (graduated late last year). Just a disclaimer first that I am not an experienced DXO but more of a current applicant.

My thoughts for your question is that, ultimately, what is the purpose or the end objective you are really looking for / aiming to achieve? Like for me, I am really looking into a more purposeful/meaningful career and I am more keen to contribute to public interests as compared to the interest of a single entity, I feel that by joining DXO, it's a good chance to learn new stuff and also contribute back to the nation. If I am just looking into future opportunities, then yes, I would focus more on private sector as I believed it do has more growth opportunities and lesser boundaries.

Hello! Thank you for your advice! Honestly, the reason I applied for DXO position is for the job stability and of course hoping to pick up new skills. But I heard skills acquired as a DXO is not transferable which kind of worries me as I'm not sure if joining DXO will tie down my career path to be in the public sector for the rest of my life since promotion/career advancement is pretty much limited as a DXO since we have uniformed personnel (they may eventually be converted to a DXO after 50) and scholars.

Don't mind me asking, do you intend to serve in the public sector in your entire career life or have you thought of exploring other fields as well?

Guest 1 19-06-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138891)
Hi everyone,

I am a fresh graduate from one of the local university, holding FCH. Just wondering if it would be better for fresh graduate to explore private sector before joining as a DXO? I heard people saying that joining DXO will limit the future opportunities since the skills used and picked up as a DXO is very niche and not transferable. To what extent is this true? Appreciate if you guys can share your views if a fresh grad should join DXO? TIA!

A hard one, join the private sector if you want growth. Else go for DXO if you want a stagnant job because progression may be tough.

Unregistered 19-06-2020 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flower95 (Post 138938)
Hello there!

Hello! Thank you for your advice! The reason I applied for DXO position is for the job security and of course to pick up new skills. However, I was told that the acquired skills as a DXO are not transferable which worries me as I don't see myself working as a DXO for my entire career life. Also, I was told there will be limitation when it comes to career progression and promotion since more focus will be placed on uniformed personnel and scholars.

Don't mind my questions, do you intend to serve in the public sector for long? Or you have thoughts of venturing out after working as a DXO?

Unregistered 20-06-2020 02:40 AM

FCH from a local u?

My personal view, you’re better of starting out in Management Associate programmes in other stat boards. (i.e: EDB, ESG, IMDA) or GLC grad schemes (PSA, Keppel etc.). If you want to swim within the depths of bureaucracy, heck, the MFA’s FSO track will provide you with better exit opp compared to MINDEF DXO scheme.

Only if you fail to get into all of the above should you then apply for a DXO role.

flower95 20-06-2020 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 138981)
Hello! Thank you for your advice! The reason I applied for DXO position is for the job security and of course to pick up new skills. However, I was told that the acquired skills as a DXO are not transferable which worries me as I don't see myself working as a DXO for my entire career life. Also, I was told there will be limitation when it comes to career progression and promotion since more focus will be placed on uniformed personnel and scholars.

Don't mind my questions, do you intend to serve in the public sector for long? Or you have thoughts of venturing out after working as a DXO?

yep, if I do manage to get in, I do intend to serve for a long period of time.

Unregistered 20-06-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139035)
FCH from a local u?

My personal view, you’re better of starting out in Management Associate programmes in other stat boards. (i.e: EDB, ESG, IMDA) or GLC grad schemes (PSA, Keppel etc.). If you want to swim within the depths of bureaucracy, heck, the MFA’s FSO track will provide you with better exit opp compared to MINDEF DXO scheme.

Only if you fail to get into all of the above should you then apply for a DXO role.

hi what's GLC?

Unregistered 21-06-2020 04:51 AM

DXO is for those who reached military retirement age but want to continue 10 more years. don't sign on DXO unless you're trolling your life

Unregistered 22-06-2020 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139150)
hi what's GLC?

Government-Linked Companies.

Unregistered 22-06-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 139170)
DXO is for those who reached military retirement age but want to continue 10 more years. don't sign on DXO unless you're trolling your life

It is a good mid career place? or you think it is totally worthless?